Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Concern for Portis

bricucci

Does anyone else have any concern that Portis may wear physically long before his prime. The way Gibbs loves to pound him 25 times a game and Portis incredible physicallity in pass blocking, I'm afraid Janky may be burned out by the time he is 26 or 27. Anyone else share the same concerns?

Yeah, there was a thread earlier someone made about Portis being "average." :doh:

Anyway, in that thread I made the same points. I don't seem him breaking down quite as early as you might think, but it's definitely a concern.

CP destroys linebackers that are 40 pounds heavier without hesitating. And he's become a power back, who also happens to be damn fast; instead of just a speed guy. It concerns me that his frame is pretty small for his new running style.

I hope we're all wrong, and CP will be getting it down as a Redskin for the next eight or 10 years at least.

He should take less of a beating next year as our O-Line will have another year of experience working together. They should hopefully be able to pick up blitzes better so Portis won't have to (...though I *love* watching him lay people out!!!) and also open up bigger running lanes for him so he can get untouched into the secondary.

But, thats part of the life of an NFL running back. If he gets worn out, he gets worn out. I hope not, but nothing lasts forever.....

if he stopped taking the beating...mark's ass would've been sacked about 20 times already.........can't have it both ways..he's a tough guy...he'll be fine

I agree best blocking back I've seen since Payton, yet you never see this talked about when they break down rbs on any network show. I agree with your assesment, just don't want the guy to burn out by 27.

I agree best blocking back I've seen since Payton, yet you never see this talked about when they break down rbs on any network show. I agree with your assesment, just don't want the guy to burn out by 27.

yeah...me either....i hope he gets even stronger this offseason...maybe gain some more weight w/o loosing his speed :D

He is a stud. He's strong, has great training habits, and a whole lot of money to recuperate in the offseason. He will get help from the other backs next year. I think the offensive line will be taking off next year on the right foot as well. I just hope Jansen can not break any bones before the start of the season. The quarterback issues will be faught out in pre season like it should be.

Funny you should say that. I had the same thought last week. I specifically thought about Walter Payton. Very similar approach to pass blocking. All Clinton need to do now is take that approach and lay some hits on would be tacklers down the field ala Payton.

I would actually like to see Rock get more carries then Betts. The general rule is, bigger is better, but it's that much harder for defenders to spot Rock while behind the large linemen. This gives him an edge over Betts IMO.

This has been said to be one of the reasons Teki Barber has had such a good run of it.

I would like to see Portis get a few less runs, and maybe some instruction in how to block without hurting himself. While I love the way he's laying into defenders, we need him healthy late in the season. The additional violent impacts don't help.

They'll work Betts and/or Rock in more often next season. I think either one of them can handle a few carries...

I agree. They will split the load a lot more, which will work to our benifit giving that betts is a more downhill type runner:gaintsuck

I would actually like to see Rock get more carries then Betts. The general rule is, bigger is better, but it's that much harder for defenders to spot Rock while behind the large linemen. This gives him an edge over Betts IMO.

This has been said to be one of the reasons Teki Barber has had such a good run of it.

I would like to see Portis get a few less runs, and maybe some instruction in how to block without hurting himself. While I love the way he's laying into defenders, we need him healthy late in the season. The additional violent impacts don't help.

It would be nice to see both Betts and Rock, but I dont think Rock will be back. In an interview from Redskins park Rock gave the "its not up to me its up to management" line which is another way of saying Show me the damn money Dan!

good point. I thought the same thing when watching Portis lower his shoulder and take each hit in turn in the game against the Giants. He reminded me of Larry Brown in the 1970's.

Portis needs to remember that Emmitt Smith said he lasted 13 seasons in the NFL because he tried never to take a direct blow but rather to turn and angle so that the blows he took were glancing.

Portis at 218 is not Earl Campbell or John Riggins at 240.

He won't hold up if his strategy is to take on all comers and deliver as many blows as he receives.

He has to play smarter than that.

He's got several more years in him unless injury strikes. Any running back could get hurt in any game at any age. It's the nature of the position, and more often then not they lose a year or two in their prime to injury.

Portis has been durable so far, and there is no reason to think that he can't have 4 more really productive seasons. Let's hope that happens.

that's a bit short-sighted. why not have a top flight back that can stay healthy and be productive for a 10 year career with the team? :)

what I am saying is that Portis needs to look at what he NEEDS to do physically in order to perform on the field and what he is doing gratuitiously to prove to his opponents that he is a tough guy.

again, we saw Earl Campbell and Larry Brown leave the game almost needing walkers and I don't want to see that happen to Portis.

Archived