Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Day After Still Pissed

Rodriggo

I know we have to be "happy we made it this far" and "hopeful for next season" but I just can't get over yesterday's game. Last season alot of people said that the defense was playoff caliber and the offense was holding us back but we were 6-10 so nobody cared, we were nowhere near the playoffs. Yesterday our D was flying around, knocking Seahawks out left and right. The special teams got two huge, HUGE turnovers and what did the offense do? Absolutely nothing.

With a birth in the NFC Championship on the line Coach Joe had no impact whatsoever on the game, much like last week in Tampa. I realize that Mark Brunell is old and spent and can't start in the NFL anymore, we have a below average recieving corps, a mediocre offensive line that is so thin that if we lose one guy we lose any and all offense production, yet we can only score ten points and can only get three points off two turnovers in opposing territory? and if we don't get the ball in Seahawk territory can only achieve a first down on one other drive in the game? When does "close to the vest" become "playing not to lose" and when does that become "completely inept"? Why did we wait til it got to 17-3 to finally open up the playbook?

If I was confident in one thing before the game it was Coach Joe's ability to gameplan something to where we could get to offense moving, eating up clock and at least getting some field goals, but what we got was a failure to even compete. I don't think there was a single pass play were I didn't feel the wheels were coming off as soon as we snapped the ball and this was against a middle of the road defense. The players fought and clawed and I give them credit but the coaching staff did not put them in a position to win the game. Even when the special teams handed us the game we couldn't get out of our own way. Maybe we got as far as we could get but something must be said for Gibbs's inability to coach these inferior pieces. If we need names like Jacoby, Grimm, Bostic, Clark, Monk, Riggins, Byner to get this offense going then Coach Joe should just hand the reigns over to Coach Gregg now.

Had we gotten absolutely crushed then I would accept the "next year" crap but if there ever was a game where the blame can be rested squarely on the shoulders of the offense it was yesterday's game. Something has to change, because if we continue along this path we won't even make the playoffs next year. We need a viable #2 and #3 reciever on top of Patten, Thrash, and Jacko. We also need to look at somebody else at QB. We've given Brunell two years and he is only getting older. Ramsey like it or not is in possession of a competitive arm and has shown the maturity to support the team regardless of his current situation. We're not winning the Super Bowl next year so what point is there in continuing to go with Brunell? Is he going to be our man when he's forty? I've wanted to love Brunell while he was here but lets be honest, he has never been as good Brad Johnson or even Gus Frerotte. At best he's functional, middle of the road, and at worst he is completely devoid of any ability to make this offense function.

After all the progess this team made this season, we essentially went out 2004 style, sticking with a battered, uncompetitive veteran in an unimaginative, fearful, and uber conservative gameplan at the expense of the offense and the team. Our defense saved us in Philly and Tampa but we couldn't hold a #1 seed to less than ten points at home and now were done. I hope a new QB, and some new WRs will help but if not then we have to hire a real offensive coordinater or worse look for another head coach.

Are you kidding? Brunnell fights his guts out. He did everything he could. He's super smart. He doesn't make mistakes, stare down his #1 option, float the ball into tight coverage, or throw stupidly across the middle of the field on a weak arm. He's deadly accurate on intermediate throws and is a threat throwing across the middle. Team's fear his running ability. He doesn't backpeddle into sacks. The list goes on and on. Joe Gibbs would be crazy if he started somebody else. Mark Brunell could start for a lot of teams. :laugh:

Personally, what i learned from this season is that, all we have is us. As long as the Skins know that we are with them through the good and bad times. That is all i care about. It is clear that the media has no idea what they are talking about. If everything played out the way they thought.

1. Atlanta and Phili would get a rematch in the Playoffs.

2. Washington would be 4-12

3.There would be a Manning vs. Manning Superbowl

all which in reality turned out to be false. So though i'm hurt by the loss, i am proud of them and what they have accomplished, and next season just take the media with a grain of salt.

Are you kidding? Brunnell fights his guts out. He did everything he could. He's super smart. He doesn't make mistakes, stare down his #1 option, float the ball into tight coverage, or throw stupidly across the middle of the field on a weak arm. He's deadly accurate on intermediate throws and is a threat throwing across the middle. Team's fear his running ability. He doesn't backpeddle into sacks. The list goes on and on. Joe Gibbs would be crazy if he started somebody else. Mark Brunell could start for a lot of teams. :laugh:

Smiley face says it all right?

Smiley face says it all right?

The painful truth is best offset by a good laugh to numb the pain. Or, like Ghost, you could try the alcohol.

The fact is our gameplan caught up with us at the most inopportune time. The entire Redskins passing game is set up to Mask the fact that Brunell can't consistently beat teams over the top or threaten them with the middle of the field. People have cried all year about our lack of production from the secondary recievers not named Cooley(who's routes coincidentally are mostly in the flats when he catches them), but they fail to realize that Brunell only throws either where he is more comfortable throwing or where the gameplan dictates.

I don't think the Redskins can be a legit NFC contender without a quarterback who can threaten defenses in their weakspot whenever they play us: The intermediate part of the field, specifically the middle. Brunell has a terrible rating throwing across the middle of the field so it's really no suprise we mainly throw in the flats, behind the line of scrimmage on the sideline(screens) , hitch routes(we barely do thsoe anymore) and go routes deep that are more timing than arm strength.

You mock him, but Brunell actually was the 3rd or 4th highest rated passer in the NFC (I think). He was nearly perfect in the 2 big wins against Dallas and New York late in the year. He doesn't suck. But yeah, I agree that he's done. Too many injuries have taken their toll.

we made progress

we made the playoffs

we swept Dallas

we swept Philly

we made it further than any other team in the division

we went just as far as the media darlings Colts and Pats

...next year we get better.

:applause:

nuf said.

we went just as far as the media darlings Colts and Pats

...next year we get better.

I agree we've made progress and we should be better next year but still...

Brunell has to go. We need a viable passing game to set up the run and we need a gunslinger to pass when they fill the box with eight guys. You can't deny that after the Giants game, when Brunell got injured, he has looked like he did in 2004. I would rather have Ramsey out there goofing around than playing in a shell with Brunell. This team should be going to Carolina right now.

You mock him, but Brunell actually was the 3rd or 4th highest rated passer in the NFC (I think). He was nearly perfect in the 2 big wins against Dallas and New York late in the year. He doesn't suck. But yeah, I agree that he's done. Too many injuries have taken their toll.

Much like a QB in the West Coast Offense, Brunell's rating can be deceptive. If you're talking about lateral passes thrown to recievers on wide reciever screens, short passes in the flats on short yardage passing situations, and the occasional deep bomb to Moss in man on man coverage when they've come up to stack the run, then yes, Brunell is adequate.

But can you tell me if the above will win consistently in the playoffs? What happened Saturday was Seattle shut down our running game completely(and you can use injuries as excuse if you want to, but that's beside the point) and without the running game those short passes in the flat and those deep bomb opportunities start to dissappear. The passes that become open are the intermediate routes and the middle of the field. Brunell for whatever reason cannot consistently execute those throws, and that's why we lost against Seattle.

Even on our "big" completions that gave me a false hope that we'd somehow come back, his passes hung in the air forever. A good defense would have picked him off 1-2 times and completely killed our momentum.

Brunell is good for a rifle pass 1 out of every 5 attempts.

To get better, you need to reevaluate the team and make the necessary adjustments.

You just don't automatically get better.

But a lot of this is pretty much split.

Either you are on the side that blames Mark Brunnell for not executing the plays that Joe Gibbs calls or blaming Joe Gibbs play calling for not doing what was needed on offense to win the game.

Brunell or Gibbs?

Me personally, I side with Gibbs, it was much the same playcalling all year that has won us 11 games. It just wasn't executed.

When the plays were executed, we won, when they didn't we lost. It's that simple.

Rodriggo -- I agree with you completely ... great post ... great inisght ... great courage for saying it the way it is is. The Gibbs legend is nice reading but means little in today's NFL. Look at Jake Delhomme and Big Ben, Hasselbeck and Plummer ... do we have the likes in DC? ... it certainly is not Brunell nor Ramsey. We need an Offensive Coordinator with balls and an offense designed around a stud like Jason Campbell ... until we bite the bullet and make drastic changes the Skins will continue to be inept offensively and also rans.

I side with Gibbs, it was much the same playcalling all year that has won us 11 games. It just wasn't executed.

When the plays were executed, we won, when they didn't we lost. It's that simple.

Totally agree. I choose Gibbs. The one constant when this offense hasn't worked is Brunell being hobbled.

I second the motion, let the man build a championship team. He is not going to let this team lapse into a coma. Look at what he has done everywhere he has been. He will make the tough decisions, and the right decisions. I finally had something to cheer about and brag about. I refuse to piss and moan about winning only eleven games in this league.I am looking forward to next year.

I guess I just don't get it................. Sure, I wanted us to win, but I'm happy as a clam that we swept Dallas nad Philly, split with the Giants, and made it to the devisional game in the playoffs, and made great strides in the right direction.

I picked three out of four games right this weekend. I would have been happier with one out of four (Skins win) but ya can't have everything.

Well, I really thought we would handle Seattle but it just wasn't meant to be. We had our chances and turnovers placed us in good position at times. Mark Brunell did great at QB and gives us the best chance to win. Looking at for what it is, we need a loss like this to place things in the proper perspective. Gibbs is building a great pyramind here with three sides-offense-defense-special teams- so I don't care what anyone says. He'll get the Redskins back to the Show.

At some point we are going to have to admit that if our offensive line cannot open holes or give the QB time in the pocket againts the good defenses then mabye they are over-rated.

After watching the other games, I'm very disappointed that we could not get anything going with the run. We are not the only ones to face 8 man fronts. Good lines will still get you running room. It was pathetic and I just had to admit that our guys are a marginal running team who can take advantage of the soft defenses.

Needless to say, I'm still upset. Just like last year, all we needed wad 21 friggin points!!!

!!!!

I was also very upset watching you guys still get all the breaks and lose by 10.

It proved that you guys didn't deserve to be there, and the Bucs would have been playing the NFC Champ. game at home next week if it wasn't for the 2 lucky turnovers that gve you guys a 14-0 lead.

Whatever you say to make you feel better man.

Archived