Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Should we resign Rod Gardner

BigRay

I think the anti-Gardner faction has been vindicated as much as possible. Not only did Gardner not work out but...

1) ...Gibbs came back from retirement & kicked him to the curb himself

2) ...Gibbs traded him for 6th round pick *ouch*

3) ...turned out to be a steal as he got cut half way through the season *double ouch*

4) ...to make room for a practice squad player *tripple ouch*

Proud to say I was with the anti-Gardner faction. A buddy of mine was given a terrible & unfair time by some really gay guys who called themselves the "ninjas" for saying Gardner would not work out & was grossly overrated. He won't come back here though I have told him the site is much improved since acquired by Redskins.com - but I'll say it for him...told you guys so.:silly:

Any "ninjas" care to speak up now? Or anyone remember the "ninjas" and who they were?

Where for art thou?

NO WAY!!

Gardner could not learn the playbook for Carolina, which is very much like ours. They cut his sorry behind for Kerry Colbert a rookie!

At least he got to go to Green Bay and get a couple of catches from Farve because the packers ran our of recievers and the end of the season

Everybody's laughing at this one but it's not the worst idea. Gardner knows the system, he'd be cheap (probably begging for a job at this point) and we already know he can be a better #2 than we had this year. Sign him and 3 other receivers for preseason and keep the best 2 along with Moss, Thrash and Patten. If it works out for him, great; if not, dump him before the season starts.

the scene of Rod Gardner in a Green Bay uniform finishing up the season on a 4-12 team in disarray was just priceless considering the arrogance of the man in the offseason.

he left Washington convinced Joe Gibbs and the Redskins were a waste of HIS time. he ended up being cut and then on the roster of one of the worst teams in the NFL.

he felt the offense here wouldn't allow him to be productive.

funny, Santana Moss with 84 catches and Chris Cooley with 71 catches seems to have proven that theory incorrect :D

Bring him back at the minimum with an incentive laden cotract. The argument against him I don't see, just a lot of hysterical name calling. Kinda of sad. I guess those are the same individuals would not have given Butze a second chance; Plunket a second chance and we can go on and on. Many of the individuals the Raiders kicked our ass in the Super Bowl with. Gardner, did not put out his first time here; but there is talent; maybe he learned a lesson and will come back with intensity. Not a bad option at minimum salary. I think the question is 10 times better than any of the negative answers.

NO...

we tried him as a #1 reciever, didnt work

we tried him as a #2 reciever, didnt work

theres a reason why we traded him, and the panthers cut him

He had over 1000 yards and 8tds as a starter with Spurrier as the coach. Stop Talking.

actually, he had 71 catches for 1,006 yards :)

but that's neither here nor there. we are talking about production from FOUR years ago.

right now, Gardner is one of 25-30 veteran receivers in the NFL that is going to be looking for work in the offseason and like most of the others, he likely will have to sign a one year incentive deal to find a job.

wherever he goes, his stance against Gibbs and the Redskins seems foolish given the production of Santana Moss and Chris Cooley in 2005.

he is a player that because of his status as the #15 pick in the draft years ago still thinks he should be treated differently than say a James Thrash, who simply works hard to earn a place.

Gibbs isn't about status he is about production :)

If you don't produce, he isn't going to have any pity for you when you cry on his ass.

actually, he had 71 catches for 1,006 yards :)

but that's neither here nor there. we are talking about production from FOUR years ago.

right now, Gardner is one of 25-30 veteran receivers in the NFL that is going to be looking for work in the offseason and like most of the others, he likely will have to sign a one year incentive deal to find a job.

wherever he goes, his stance against Gibbs and the Redskins seems foolish given the production of Santana Moss and Chris Cooley in 2005.

he is a player that because of his status as the #15 pick in the draft years ago still thinks he should be treated differently than say a James Thrash, who simply works hard to earn a place.

Gibbs isn't about status he is about production :)

If you don't produce, he isn't going to have any pity for you when you cry on his ass.

Well that is a reasonable answer, with content, how refreshing. (seriously, not sarcasm). But I disagree. We don't know what his attitude will be, and we can sure kick his ass off the team at the time if you are right about the way he views things. (Not any salary cap implications) I think this season was a real humbling experience for Gardner. Maybe he will learn, maybe not. No risk, high gain.

Gibbs will take back a player that leaves for money IMO. He will take back a player like a Mike Sellers that is trying to rebuild his life after some tragic off the field circumstances. What he won't do is take back a player that shows himself to be selfish and disregarding of his teammates as Gardner was in 2004. When Gardner asked for and gained his trade that was the cut of the cord. He ain't coming back to the Skins as long as Joe Gibbs is with the organization, I can just about guarantee you that :)

And I think your analysis is well taken. If Gardner does not come back; it is not talent and bad attitude. It is bad attitude that will linger on team moral even if in the past. Again, I might disagree, but, thanks for the good content. It is very refreshing.

:laugh: :laugh: Admin, please ban the name Rod Gardner on this sight. You know like you do with profanity. It should just character out like when I type Rod Gardner what appears is @#% @@$@$^&. This should put an end to all Rod Gardner speculation.

Best idea of the whole thread - the admins should filter Rod Gardner to @#% @@$@$^&. I am sure the admins would love to not hear about Rod Gardner. Especially since some of them were embarassingly very pro-Gardner (& those ones are very absent & quiet from this thread). They didn't know how to watch football, and held 71 catches as a standard of greatness; not knowing how to watch football, they had no idea that the 71 catches were the cheap & easy variety that are given to a below 500 team that are playing from behind. Not to mention that was a one time high not an average. But Gibbs knew quality catches from freebie catches. And Gibbs knew the difference between stats & performance.

Come on don't park it now?

Archived