Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Did Gibbs bench Shraider for Doug Williams?

BrunellSuperbowl

before the super bowl in a surprise move? When was Shraider ( Spelling) benched

and why was he benched after leading them so far? Was he playing simular to Brunell?

Schroeder was injured in the opening game of 1987 and Williams replaced him.Later, that season Schroeder returned but wasn't all that good or stable. Coming back from an injury, Williams relieved Schroeder in the last regular season game and rallied the team to victory. Coach Gibbs then named Williams as his starter for the playoffs.

From my book Written by Rich Tandler "The Redskins A to Z" volume 1

In the final regular season game against the Vikings. 1987

Doug Williams replaced an ineffective Jay Schoreder at quarterback and along with Barry Wilbum and Ricky Sanders sparked an overtime win over the Vikings.

Williams entered the game midway through the third quarter with the game tied at seven. Washington's only score had come courtesy of Wilbum. The Vikings already leading 7-0, were driving,perched at the Redskin seven. Quarterback Wade Wilson tried to sneak a pass through double coverage, but he found the belly of Wilbum at the goal line. Wilbum headed upfield, broke through the pack and got into the clear. The final obstacle to his team record 100-yard interception was removed when Todd Bowles dispatched receiver Antony Carter with a block around the Minnesota 40.

Jay Schroeder was the starter at the beginning of the season, after having a tremendous 1986 season, and leading the team to the NFC Championship game only to lose to the NY Giants. After the strike during the 1987 season, Jay was struggling, so Gibbs put in Doug Williams. Williams was really the QB Gibbs wanted as his starter all along (I believe), and when an opportunity presented itself, he made the switch. Williams played very well thru the playoffs, and of course had a great game in the Super Bowl against Denver. He (Williams) did get hurt mid-way thru the 1st quarter (a freak slip and hurt his leg), and Schroeder came in only to get sacked on his very first pass. To start the 2nd quarter, he put Williams back in and the rest is history.

The truth be known, Jay Shroeder really was one of the main reasons the Redskins made it to the SB.

Brunellsuperbowl, please give it up. Seriously, I'm begging you. I'm not even on this board as much anymore since I've started college but the few times I swoop through you are pushing the same old argument. It's getting old man.

dude shutup brunellsuperbowl is tight and can post anything he wants to k

Jay Schroeder was the starter at the beginning of the season, after having a tremendous 1986 season, and leading the team to the NFC Championship game only to lose to the NY Giants. After the strike during the 1987 season, Jay was struggling, so Gibbs put in Doug Williams. Williams was really the QB Gibbs wanted as his starter all along (I believe), and when an opportunity presented itself, he made the switch. Williams played very well thru the playoffs, and of course had a great game in the Super Bowl against Denver. He (Williams) did get hurt mid-way thru the 1st quarter (a freak slip and hurt his leg), and Schroeder came in only to get sacked on his very first pass. To start the 2nd quarter, he put Williams back in and the rest is history.

The truth be known, Jay Shroeder really was one of the main reasons the Redskins made it to the SB.

Jay took a beating in the NFC Championship against the Giants in 86. He was "ok" the next year, but never seemed quite the same after that beating.

Doug Williams replaced an ineffective Jay Schoreder at quarterback and along with Barry Wilbum and Ricky Sanders sparked an overtime win over the Vikings.

Williams entered the game midway through the third quarter with the game tied at seven. Washington's only score had come courtesy of Wilbum. The Vikings already leading 7-0, were driving,perched at the Redskin seven. Quarterback Wade Wilson tried to sneak a pass through double coverage, but he found the belly of Wilbum at the goal line. Wilbum headed upfield, broke through the pack and got into the clear. The final obstacle to his team record 100-yard interception was removed when Todd Bowles dispatched receiver Antony Carter with a block around the Minnesota 40.

Good post! Except I think his name was Wilburn. OR does the font just make r-n look like m when they are next to each other?

i'm pretty sure gibbs really didnt have a #1 go to qb that season and he used multiple people....so in the super bowl he started who he thought would give us the best chance.

He distinctly did have a #1 to start with - Schroeder. Williams signed as a backup of his own volition. In the playoffs Gibbs indeed went with the man who was in better shape at that stage. In the superbowl Williams was hurt during the firtst quarter, but came back again after only one Schroeder-led drive to make history. I think that goes to show just how much in better shape Gibbs believed him to be at that point.

Doug Williams said that he never forgave Schroeder for waving him off the field in the NFC Championship against the Giants. Schroeder was hurt and Williams put on his helmet and walked out onto the field to take the next snap but Schroeder waved him off.

The following year, when Doug hurt his knee in the Superbowl game - he was determined to shake off the injury to keep Schroeder from playing because of what he did to him in the Giants game. Who says things don't happen for a reason? The rest was history...start of 2nd quarter...80 yards to Ricky Sanders...followed by 4 more TDs in the quarter.

Who says things don't happen for a reason? The rest was history...start of 2nd quarter...80 yards to Ricky Sanders...followed by 4 more TDs in the quarter.

What, we won ?! :yikes:

I went to bed at 10:0!

Guys, our cornerback's name was Barry WilbuRn, not Wilbum.

Let me get this straight.

Mark has won his last 6 games.........and you want to bench him???:rubeyes:

Dang dude, you have issues!:insane:

Me personally because of the age factor, I like Ramsey more. But not in this situation.

If he had started Phili and picked up a rythem, then I would be ready to get him in there if Mark is off(based on his knee and mental attitude)

But Mark was one of the players that got us here.

The critics all agree that Mark is playing at Pro Bowl caliber, maybe not a starting probowl, but still.

Archived