Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Shane

lumpy35

This whole pre-season has been weird. It has been tough to gauge any QB. No one knows who is starting at WR or QB or OL. Line has never been healthy. I did see that Shane play well against TB. I don't think that DW or SM are the answer to our recent history of lousy QBs. (Tony Banks was the biggest disaster of all time.) Hopefully Ramsey will step up and about midway through the season he will start.

Guest Trevor

Starting Matthews is the only chance we have of having a good season. As I've been predicting all along, Wuerffel can light up fringe and bench players, but will do nothing against first teamers. This has been the trend in his NFL career and just because he is reunited with SOS doesn't mean that's going to change.

You can really see what Mendes liked about Ramsey in these last two games. He is tough and has a gun. Next year he will be the starter. Unless Matthews has a great year and they resign him to let Patrick sit and learn a little more.

We should have kept Sage and dumped Wuerffel, imo.

I was among the few that wasn't sold on Weurffel either. He has never competed successfully on this level before, and even though some of the Gator fans had me believing a little, I always thought that if we were to win,it would be because Shane was at the helm.

Shane does not have to be spectacular, just average and a good decision maker and this team will win 10 games.

But guys, it wasn't Wuerfals fault.

He had no protection, and his receivers dropped the ball, and the RBs couldn't get yardage, the center would snap the ball to him when he wasn't ready, and the mean ol' nasty Patriots kept using different blitz schemes and disguising their defense.

Wuerfel has the skills to start on any NFL team and the only reason he hasn't is due to a conspiracy against him.

:notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

The problem w/ cutting Waffle to save Sage was that Sage is still not quite ready to run the offense, and Matthews is injury-prone.

Blaming Waffle for last night might be like everyone on this board who blames Gus for '98, when Pourdanesh & Co practically chaffeured defenders into the pocket. Don't get me wrong, Sage definitely had more upside long term, but it would have cost us a few games before he evolved (just like Trent in 98 ).

If you are keeping a journal on the players who are playing, and are listing the QB ... you might make sure you are not using ink ... find a pencil. So you can erase and plug in the guy who is playing.

Not to document changes of QB between games, quarters, or even an individual series ... but between downs.

:D

When Ramsey leans the offense and is as comfortable as the other 2 qb's he will be the starter. He obviously has superior physical skills and for not being in camp long, he is comfortable enough to do as well as he has. If the comprehension of the offense is equal, Patrick has a huge advantage over the other 2. He was throwing off his back foot with more velocity than either DW or SM can with a norman motion. While I know some of you will pop up and say SS's offense does not require a strong arm, I say back, That's fine that it doesn't require one, but the arm strength just gives another added advantage.

I like the way Ramsey carries himself as well. If SM and DW struggle this year, Ramsey needs playing time for next year right away. I don't think Spurrier should be expected to bring us a superbowl this year, but if SM and DW work out fine, than all the better.

I like Ramsey too. Next year he will be the starter. This year he needs to watch and learn. I know the best way to learn is by doing, but he just is not ready to play yet. Shane was the right choice, I posted that I thought he would end up the starter a couple weeks ago. I based that on experience and I think he reads defenses better. I think Danny and Shane get a lot of playing time this year, which kind of makes me nervous but its hard to stay healthy all season.

HTTR

Lowghost

Good point StuckinIA. I kinda noticed that when watching the game last night. On one play in particular McCants was running a slant pattern and Ramsey rifled the ball to him. The throw was slightly over McCants' head and by the time he reached up to clasp his hands to make the catch the ball was past him. I was thinking that if DW or Shane had thrown that ball he would have made the catch. McCants seemed to be unprepared for the velocity of the throw and how fast the ball got upon him and past him.

I think everyone is over looking an important possibility. Always assume the HBC has something else up his sleeve. I think it is a very good probability that he is sending Danny a message - challenging him more. Also, showing or reminding Danny that although he is a friend of the HBC, he still has to work. Or, sending a message to the rest of the team that he plays no favorites. Based on the lack of performance of the OL, he working on their heads too.

Forget about projecting starters because so and so has a "gun." The HBC only measures performance. This will be the first in many personnel changes during the season.

Well, if you've seen any game film of Ramsey at Tulane, you would realize he's got all the throws. He can throw with great touch.

Ramsey is probably rifling the ball so much because he's still a little unsure of what spot to throw the ball to on some plays. He compensates by throwing hard to the receiver instead of the spot.

What that tells you, though, is that he has the arm to compensate and that he sees the open receivers and can still get them the ball quickly when they are open.

In the NFL, and I think Spurrier will come to appreciate this, too, QBs often have to improvise. Plays just break down. It's a fact of life on this level. The defense gives you one look--when the ball is snapped, they give you another look and the spot where you are supposed to throw it to is all the sudden occupied by a defender.

When that happens, you have to adjust on the fly, often with pass rushers bearing down on you. You saw it last night.

Someone with an arm like Ramsey can quickly scan the field and rifle the ball to another receiver. Guys with arms like Danny and Shane just can't do that. They HAVE to throw to spots because they don't have enough arm to rifle the ball to a receiver who might be open for a split second in a different spot from how the play was drawn up.

Once Ramsey understands the nuances of Spurrier's offense, I think he'll really take off and you will see him throw the ball with a lot more touch. But as you can see, when things break down, he can really get the ball to a receiver in a hurry.

As far as the receivers go, when you play with strong-armed QB who sees the field really well, you have to be ready for the ball at any time during your route. That's the adjustment they will have to make. I would think a receiver would relish that kind of challenge.

Originally posted by SurfinSkinFan

If you are keeping a journal on the players who are playing, and are listing the QB ... you might make sure you are not using ink ... find a pencil. So you can erase and plug in the guy who is playing.

Not to document changes of QB between games, quarters, or even an individual series ... but between downs.

:D

That's the most intelligent statement in this thread. All I can tell you Spurrier FNG's is all is not always as it seems.

And on the conspiratorial front:

Throw out Thursday's game and Danny looked better all preseason.

That leads me to believe that Matthews could have made deal with someone. Hmmmmmm, who could it be?

Satan perhaps?:evil:

:laugh:

guys.....you're over complicating things. DW did not perform well when leading the first team Offense. Period. so what if he was under pressure....what's the old adage: "Adapt and overcome". if everything has to go well for him to perform then he is not the guy - this offense is going to have the living *ell blitzed out of it and the audibling scheme is going to be faked out by feigned blitzes as well. there is no doubt in my mind that SS will overcome....in fact, this will be a fascinating subtext/chess match all season long. but it's going to take some time. he's going to have to adjust and find schemes that exact quick 5-7 yard gains against high risk defenses. blitzing creates holes. he will have to shore up the blocking schemes to earn an extra 1-2 secs and adjust the wideout patterns to manage these kinds of quick strikes. also, and we really haven't seen it yet, count on quick counts while the defense is in motion and blocking schemes that take the inside rush out while davis goes north to south for an easy 4-5. in fact, i'm willing to bet we'll see a lot of this (comparatively speaking) in the philly game. if not, well, i'll just borrow phillyphat's avatar!

note that this is precisley what NE against us when we blitzed - and it worked!!

he's going to have to adjust and find schemes that exact quick 5-7 yard gains against high risk defenses. blitzing creates holes. he will have to shore up the blocking schemes to earn an extra 1-2 secs and adjust the wideout patterns to manage these kinds of quick strikes. also, and we really haven't seen it yet, count on quick counts while the defense is in motion and blocking schemes that take the inside rush out while davis goes north to south for an easy 4-5.

Hmmm. WCO, sounds good me. Maybe, HBC can call up Norv and get a play book.:doh:

Since no one will listen, I will put here until somebody will. You guys are still thinking through old NFL eyes.

"I think everyone is over looking an important possibility. Always assume the HBC has something else up his sleeve. I think it is a very good probability that he is sending Danny a message - challenging him more. Also, showing or reminding Danny that although he is a friend of the HBC, he still has to work. Or, sending a message to the rest of the team that he plays no favorites. Based on the lack of performance of the OL, he working on their heads too.

Forget about projecting starters because so and so has a "gun." The HBC only measures performance. This will be the first in many personnel changes during the season."

"Hmmm. WCO, sounds good me. Maybe, HBC can call up Norv and get a play book"..... be great, if Norv ran the WCO.

Droppingin, good way to get people to listen is to avoid opening statements like that... just a little advice. :cheers: I'm all for S.S. changing the game as we know it, on the field and off. Have gone on record to say so. However, these changes do not include this;

"Forget about projecting starters because so and so has a "gun." The HBC only measures performance. This will be the first in many personnel changes during the season."

Mainly because that's been around the NFL for awhile now. :cheers:

Hey Park, thank you for the advice. It seems to me that most people are taking a rather simple view of the situation by replacing a qb with a prototypical nfl guy.

I was trying to point out that with spurrier, there is always more to his actions than most coaches. I also tried to avoid the "I am a Gator and therefore know everything about spurrier."

I will also try to avoid opening lines like my last one. BTW, although I have not watched a full nfl game in over ten years, because it got so boring, I have always been a Skins fan. You can bet I will be watching everything this year.

Go Skins.

Archived