Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2006 Mock Drafts

@DCGoldPants

Why are the mocks drafts posted this week have us picking before Tampa and Cincy wit hthe 22nd overall? Is that a mistake that just hasn't been updated yet?

I'd think right now we'd be sending Denver the 24th or 25th pick. Which in the grand scheme of things, seems perfect since most believed they'd at least get a top 15, if not top 10.

Wait, so if you make the playoffs...and face a team with a better record...and beat them. You still get a better draft pick?

The draft makes no differenct in the postseason. It is still based on records, unless you make it to the super bowl. The super bowl winner always picks last followed by the runner up. The rest is based on regular season records.

The draft makes no differenct in the postseason. It is still based on records, unless you make it to the super bowl. The super bowl winner always picks last followed by the runner up. The rest is based on regular season records.

This is totally incorrect. A team's draft position, once in the playoffs, is based on where it exits the playoffs. If two teams exit the playoffs in the same round, the one with the worst regular season record will pick first. If they both had the same regular season record, the team with the easiest schedule would pick first.

If the Redskins and Patriots lose this weekend, the Patriots would pick 25 and the Redskins would pick 26, because although they both finished the regular season 10-6, the Patriots had the weaker regular season schedule.

The best pick the Broncos can get from the 'Skins right now is the 25th pick. If the 'Skins beat the Seahawks, it will go down to at best the 28th pick. If the 'Skins make it to the Super Bowl, the best Denver can get is the 31st pick, which would mean the 'Skins lost. Of course, we want Denver to have the 32 pick!!!!! :applause:

This is totally incorrect. A team's draft position, once in the playoffs, is based on where it exits the playoffs. If two teams exit the playoffs in the same round, the one with the worst regular season record will pick first. If they both had the same regular season record, the team with the easiest schedule would pick first.

If the Redskins and Patriots lose this weekend, the Patriots would pick 25 and the Redskins would pick 26, because although they both finished the regular season 10-6, the Patriots had the weaker regular season schedule.

The best pick the Broncos can get from the 'Skins right now is the 25th pick. If the 'Skins beat the Seahawks, it will go down to at best the 28th pick. If the 'Skins make it to the Super Bowl, the best Denver can get is the 31st pick, which would mean the 'Skins lost. Of course, we want Denver to have the 32 pick!!!!! :applause:

I don't believe that is correct either. I believe that playoff exits are only relevant to teams that were tied to begin with. Therefore we will draft ahead of the Giants unless we make it to the Super Bowl, even though they have already been eliminated.

TIE-BREAKING PROCEDURE FOR SELECTION MEETING

If two or more clubs are tied in the selection order, the strength-of-schedule tie breaker is applied, subject to the following exceptions for playoff clubs:

1. The Super Bowl winner is last and the Super Bowl loser next-to-last.

2. Any non-Super Bowl playoff club involved in a tie shall be assigned priority within its segment below that of non-playoff clubs and in the order that the playoff clubs exited from the playoffs. Thus, within a tied segment a playoff club that loses in the Wild-Card game will have priority over a playoff club that loses in the Divisional playoff game, which in turn will have priority over a club that loses in the Conference Championship game. If two tied clubs exited the playoffs in the same round, the tie is broken by strength of schedule.

If any ties cannot be broken by strength of schedule, the divisional or conference tie breakers, whichever are applicable, are applied. Any ties that still exist are broken by a coin flip.

I don't believe that is correct either. I believe that playoff exits are only relevant to teams that were tied to begin with. Therefore we will draft ahead of the Giants unless we make it to the Super Bowl, even though they have already been eliminated.

Zen-like Todd

I stand corrected...naked...and ashamed. :notworthy

You bolded the wrong part, ZLT

2. Any non-Super Bowl playoff club involved in a tie shall be assigned priority within its segment below that of non-playoff clubs and in the order that the playoff clubs exited from the playoffs. Thus, within a tied segment a playoff club that loses in the Wild-Card game will have priority over a playoff club that loses in the Divisional playoff game, which in turn will have priority over a club that loses in the Conference Championship game.

According to what the rules say, the draft order will look like this:

25 Divisional playoff Loser w/ 4th best record

26 Divisional playoff Loser w/ 3rd best record

27 Divisional playoff Loser w/ 2nd best record

28 Divisional playoff Loser w/ best record

29 Conference Championship Loser w/ worst record

30 Conference Championship Loser w/ best record

31 Super Bowl Loser

32 Super Bowl Winner

If we lose this week, we would give Denver the 25th pick. If we win, the best they can get is the 29th pick.

Last year, the Vikings, who finished 8-8 but made the playoffs, drafted before the Jaguars, who finished 9-7 and did not make the playoffs. Can we end this silly discussion now?

Your draft position is decided by your regular season record, with two exceptions: (1) if you make it to the Superbowl, you'll draft either last or next to last, and (2) if your regular season record is tied with another team, your draft position is decided based on when you exited the playoffs.

I think you answered why Minny picked after the Jags though - its because they made the playoffs.

The only way the draft position is not based on regular season record is if:

1.) Team makes the playoffs with a worse regular season record than Team B (who doesn't make the playoffs). Team A then picks in the first position after the team with the best record who didn't make the playoffs (provided TEAM A doesn't go to the SB).

2.) Teams who should have picked earlier than 31 and 32 make the SB. This allowing those who were in 31/32 to move up.

31 Super Bowl Loser

32 Super Bowl Winner

If we lose this week, we would give Denver the 25th pick. If we win, the best they can get is the 29th pick.

Um, no I didn't. The part you bolded only applies to teams with identical regular season records.

31 Super Bowl Loser

32 Super Bowl Winner

No, ZLT is correct. Since we have a worse regular season record than NYG, Tampa, Cincy we will still pick ahead of them, unless we go to the SuperBowl.

I think you answered why Minny picked after the Jags though - its because they made the playoffs

Wake up, TEG. You've got it backwards. The Vikings, who made the playoffs, drafted 18th. The Jags, who didn't, drafted 21st. Minny drafted BEFORE the Jags. Get it now?

The team with the better record drafted later, despite the fact that THEY DIDN'T MAKE THE PLAYOFFS.

I feel like I should t-y-p-e s-l-o-w-e-r and in crayon.

Archived