Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Seattle Defense

MartinC

I don't know if anybody has noticed but Seattle's D had a real good year versus the run (gave up only 94.4 yards per carry which is better even then we did giving up 105 yards per game). Conversely they were very average against the pass giving up over 220 yards per game.

I know that some of the above is down to their being ahead in many games and teams having to pass to catch up - but still.

The conventional wisdom is we will come out and try to stuff Clinton Portis down their necks. I'm sure the game plan will feature Clinton as that is what has won us the last 6 in a row - however I wonder if we might not also try to open up the passing game a little early to both take advantage of their weakness and the fact that they will likely be walking a safety up into the box anticipating us looking to run on first and second down.

If we can hit some thing early that will force them to play us honest and open some room for Portis to do is thing.

Seattle has a good O - ranked second in the NFL in terms of yardage. While our D is likely the best they have faced all year and some of that yardage came against softer opposition we have to still anticipate they will move the ball and put some points up.

We have to have better production offensivley than we have had the last couple of games to both put up some points AND keep their offense off the field.

What do you think?

HTTR

Martin

What do I think? You act like this will be a close game. The 'Skins are gonna scalp the #2 offense because our #9 D is SO much better than anything they've ever seen this year.

As I've said in a previous post - Seattle has an OUTSIDE chance (very OUTSIDE) of scoring 26 pts against us. That means Brunell and company only need 27 for the victory. We scored over 30+ pts in our LAST THREE regular season games - and against tougher D's than Seattle.

Victory is assured - I assure you!

i'm not sure they score 26 either. vs the 5 best D's they faced this year (all 18th in scoring or better), the most they scored was 24. vs the 3 best, they scored 17, 14, 13.

the skins will be the best D they have played by far- better than we were the first time, i think.

their D is a bit unknown, largely cuz they have played such horrible teams. san fran and tenn did almost beat them, though, scoring 24 and 25.

I don't know if anybody has noticed but Seattle's D had a real good year versus the run (gave up only 94.4 yards per carry which is better even then we did giving up 105 yards per game). Conversely they were very average against the pass giving up over 220 yards per game.

I know that some of the above is down to their being ahead in many games and teams having to pass to catch up - but still.

The conventional wisdom is we will come out and try to stuff Clinton Portis down their necks. I'm sure the game plan will feature Clinton as that is what has won us the last 6 in a row - however I wonder if we might not also try to open up the passing game a little early to both take advantage of their weakness and the fact that they will likely be walking a safety up into the box anticipating us looking to run on first and second down.

If we can hit some thing early that will force them to play us honest and open some room for Portis to do is thing.

Seattle has a good O - ranked second in the NFL in terms of yardage. While our D is likely the best they have faced all year and some of that yardage came against softer opposition we have to still anticipate they will move the ball and put some points up.

We have to have better production offensivley than we have had the last couple of games to both put up some points AND keep their offense off the field.

What do you think?

HTTR

Martin

WOW...WITH 94.4 YARDS PER CARRY, WE SHOULD WIN VERY EASY....

Absolutely -- "unknown" is the best way to describe their defense. As for their D against the run, please keep in mind that twice they were trying to stop Marcel shipp, frank gore, and a st louis team that absolutely refused to committ to the run all year. That is 6 games vs anemic running games and then you throw in games against Tenn, Houston, Philly.....that's NINE games ont their schedule against people who can't run the ball !!

Compare that to us, facing: Tiki twice, a Dallas team committed to the run twice, and then games against Larry Johnson & Preist Holmes, Mike Anderson & Tatum Bell, Lamont Jordan, and Lanadian Tomlinson.......quite a difference !!

What do I think? You act like this will be a close game. The 'Skins are gonna scalp the #2 offense because our #9 D is SO much better than anything they've ever seen this year.

As I've said in a previous post - Seattle has an OUTSIDE chance (very OUTSIDE) of scoring 26 pts against us. That means Brunell and company only need 27 for the victory. We scored over 30+ pts in our LAST THREE regular season games - and against tougher D's than Seattle.

Victory is assured - I assure you!

I admire your confidence and hope you are right!

The first game against them came down to a field goal they missed (after some horrible coaching by Holmgren) and a field goal we made. 3 points.

Now we are on the road with a long trip and they have had two weeks to rest. Seattle are a much better team at home than on the road. Yeah I do think it will be close - but I also think we CAN win but we have to play our A game both sides of the ball.

Absolutely -- "unknown" is the best way to describe their defense. As for their D against the run, please keep in mind that twice they were trying to stop Marcel shipp, frank gore, and a st louis team that absolutely refused to committ to the run all year. That is 6 games vs anemic running games and then you throw in games against Tenn, Houston, Philly.....that's NINE games ont their schedule against people who can't run the ball !!

Compare that to us, facing: Tiki twice, a Dallas team committed to the run twice, and then games against Larry Johnson & Preist Holmes, Mike Anderson & Tatum Bell, Lamont Jordan, and Lanadian Tomlinson.......quite a difference !!

Agreed - that is the big unknow with the Hawks, with their soft schedule are they for real and how do they react under pressure against a good team.

We have been battle tested all year.

If we can get a lead like Saturday and play down hill it will be interesting to see how they handle it.

Seattle has played crappy teams all year!!!!!!!!!! They get 6 easy wins in their division. Give me a break. We have played a tough as $hit schedule. Granted playing in Seattle will be tough, but our game experience, being in close games all year, i think helps us very much.

i was just looking at the schedule and thinking the same thing. outside of portis, the best RB they played all year was tiki. he went off for 151 yards. in the same game, eli threw for 344.

i dont like to take one game and use it as the norm, but when they had no other competition, how else can you tell?

What scares me about this game is that Tampa was able to stack the box last week and the Skins were unable to beat it, much like last year. And they didn't seem to be able to, or care to, adapt.

You didn't see something in that... ?

Once we got into a 14-point lead, the Coach Gibbs said he stopped taking chances. You make a mistake against a Defense like Tampa's and they'll make you pay for it. Whille the execution wasn't always there, there was no way they were gonna' get away from the running game. Look how few pass attempts Mark Brunell made. That wasn't a coincidence.

What do you think?

HTTR

Martin

I agree on a 1500 yard rushing game for Clinton

You didn't see something in that... ?

Once we got into a 14-point lead, the Coach Gibbs said he stopped taking chances. You make a mistake against a Defense like Tampa's and they'll make you pay for it. Whille the execution wasn't always there, there was no way they were gonna' get away from the running game. Look how few pass attempts Mark Brunell made. That wasn't a coincidence.

Sorry man, 17 plays for 26 yards in the second half? I don't think that was the plan. And when your lead is cut down to 7, it's not time to sit on the ball.

Most of these guys are mediocore running backs. Tiki lit them up for 150.

Warrick Dunn only had 54 but the team rushed for 115 that game. Portis could've easily rushed for over 100, but if you remember that game we went away from portis and threw alot. Edgerrin James only played a half as Indy rested most of their starters.

So I think their run defense is alright but not as good as the numbers show.

Fred Taylor had 76 yards vs. us. 6th lowest of the season.

Warrick Dunn had 54. LOWEST of the season.

Clinton Portis had 90. 7th lowest of the season.

Marcel Shipp had 41. 10th lowest of the season.

Steven Jackson had 77. 9th lowest of the season.

Domanick Davis had 40 yards. LOWEST of the season.

Marion Barber had 95 yards. 10th lowest of the season.

Marcel Shipp had 20. 4th lowest of the season.

Steven Jackson had 70 yards. 8th lowest of the season.

Kevan Barlow had 21 yards. 2nd lowest of the season.

Tiki Barber had 151 yards (with overtime). 13th lowest of the season.

Brian Westbrook had 17 yards. 3rd lowest of the season.

Kevan Barlow had 33 yards. 4th lowest of the season.

Chris Brown had 56 yards. 7th lowest of the season.

Edgerrin James had 41 yards. 2nd lowest of the season.

Noah Herron had 61 yards. Lowest of the season.

FYI... I got this from the Seahawk fan site who were bragging about their run defense.

One more note. Seahawks passing defense is below average so why try and run when you can have success passing? So less run attempts and more passing, another reason for the skewed rusing defense numbers.

And don't forget. Teams that are playing from behind tend to abandon the run in an attempt to get back in the game. Looking at their schedule, they played ahead of the other team quite a bit.

The 94 yards per game is a deceiving statistic. They played 2 games against Arizona who couldn't muster a running attack against a Pop Warner team. They also played many games against substandard competition that fell behind early and abandoned the running game. I am confident we will be able to rush effectively against the Hawks.

:logo:

Archived