Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Gibbs V.S. Parcells

footballhenry

In 3 years Bill Parcells has taken Dallas to the postseason once, and lost their sole playoff game. In 2 years Joe Gibbs has already taken this Skins team to the playoffs and now with a postseason victory! :logo:

No question Gibbs is a much better coach than Parcells, both now and in career comparison. Interesting debate though over at cowboyszone, a couple of them actually 'get it':

http://cowboyszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46225&page=1&pp=15

Lets keep this thing rollin Gibbs!

Gotta disagree.......Parcells took the Cowboys to the playoffs his first year in Dallas with a team that many said no way in hell would even go 8-8. Granted, he faltered last season, but this season he had the Cowboys back at 9-7, including a game in which Dallas basically mailed it in because they knew they were out of the playoffs.

Comparing the two is sort of like comparing apples to oranges due to the length of time Gibbs was away, while Parcells only took short breaks. Tuna's penchant for turning bad teams around almost instantly into playoff contenders has to be admired. I don't know which of the two coaches is better, but to say that one is MUCH better than the other is a stretch.

Gotta disagree.......Parcells took the Cowboys to the playoffs his first year in Dallas with a team that many said no way in hell would even go 8-8. Granted, he faltered last season, but this season he had the Cowboys back at 9-7, including a game in which Dallas basically mailed it in because they knew they were out of the playoffs.

Comparing the two is sort of like comparing apples to oranges due to the length of time Gibbs was away, while Parcells only took short breaks. Tuna's penchant for turning bad teams around almost instantly into playoff contenders has to be admired. I don't know which of the two coaches is better, but to say that one is MUCH better than the other is a stretch.

I agree with your comments. Very tough to say which coach is actually better because both are great and have led teasm to the playoffs and superbowls. Something has to be said for Parcells taking rotten teams and tunring them into superbowl contenders. Gibbs and his team are having the better season this year, but that doesn't automatically qualify him as the better of the two.

Bill Parcells without Bill Belichick

6 seasons (93-95 NE & 03-05 Dallas) 46-52 including 0-2 in the playoffs

Bill Belichick without Bill Parcells

10 seasons 109-78 including 10-1 in the postseason (and he beat Bill Parcells' Patriots in 1994 playoffs) and 3 world titles.

Bill Parcells is the single most OVERRATED head coach in the history of professional football.

Parcells vs A Small Piece Of Driftwood!

vs Gibbs????

There is absolutely NO comparison.

The tuna is washed up.

GOOD NEWS SKIN FANS!

The dumbass Cowpies signed his fatass for two more years!

Here's to kicking Cowpie butt for the next two seasons!

And here's to winning the NFC East next year!

Hail!:point2sky

Scruffy, to be fair, Gibbs has had Richie Petitbon and Gregg Williams by his side during his career.......have they not helped JG?

Good point. Both men are aided by capable assistants.

However, Bill Belichick has shown how good a coach he is on his own, while Bill Parcells has been a below .500 coach without Belichick.

If Parcells was as great as the media say he is, why is it that he can't win unless Belichick is coordinating his defense for him?

I also want to add, Parcells gets no credit for even bringing Belichick to NY in the first place. Belichick was hired as a defensive assistant in 1979 and was already on staff when Parcells took over in 1983.

Bill Parcells without Bill Belichick

6 seasons (93-95 NE & 03-05 Dallas) 46-52 including 0-2 in the playoffs

Bill Belichick without Bill Parcells

10 seasons 109-78 including 10-1 in the postseason (and he beat Bill Parcells' Patriots in 1994 playoffs) and 3 world titles.

Bill Parcells is the single most OVERRATED head coach in the history of professional football.

They are two polar opposite coaches so comparing the two is stupid. Parcells if I remember correctly is 12-8 against Gibbs all-time so he has the edge in head to head matchups, but that does not mean as much as you would think. In my honest opinion if I had to pick which one was better I wouldn't, instead I would say that they are even.

Scruffy, to be fair, Gibbs has had Richie Petitbon and Gregg Williams by his side during his career.......have they not helped JG?

All good coaches have good assistants. Parcells and Gibbs both have them now.

The point is, Parcells hasn't won unless Belichick was running his defense. And if you remember watching the Giants/Buffalo Super Bowl you would remember that it was almost the same game as the Pats/Rams Super Bowl that Belichick coached and everybody was so surprised they won. That 1990 Giants team was competely reliant on the defense and field position, just like that Pats team was.

Parcells record without Belichick around is sub .500, that does mean something.

Archived