Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Which season do you like better?

Ant15fromNJ

This is a Gibbs team, which makes it the automatic winner. Hell, I almost like LAST YEAR'S team better than 1999.

This team does have an identity. They have Joe Gibbs' shut-up-and-do-your-job personality. They're also proud to be Redskins, and love their head coach. Win or lose, they've done it the right way. (Pending the ST investigation. :mad: ) But I like this team far and away better than 1999.

This one is waaaaaay better. This season was better. We beat Dallas twice. We started 3-0. We have some great offensive powers in Portis, Cooley and Santana. We have a solid Defense and we also have JOE GIBBS. We aslo have won 6 in a row, on our way to 9 in a row and a superbowl ring.

I was thinking about this exact question on my way to work this morning decided to run a search and resurrect this topic. I care less about which season like better - obviously today we have Gibbs, an outstanding defense, and a very emotional season - plus, Norv was on his way out in 1999 because this city had had enough of him. I'm more curious about how the two teams are different and similar. I was a freshman in college in 1999 and didn't even have a TV in my room - so my knowledge of that season is far inferior than any other Redskin team since the late 80s.

At first glance the teams seem pretty similar - I'd say Brad Johnson and Brunell are pretty comparable and Steven Davis and Clinton Portis have put up somewhat similar numbers. In 1999 we won the division - therefore, was that team better? We also earned a home game and smoked the Lions before losing to Tampa by 1 point. Which team do you think had more depth, more heart, and more respect?

It's not even close.

1999: 5-3 in the division (3-3 against current division)

2005: 5-1 in the division

1999: Swept by Dallas. Dallas makes an amazing 21 point 4th quarter comeback to beat us at home in first game, crush us in second game.

2005: Swept Dallas. We make an amazing 14 point 4th quarter comeback to beat them at home in first game, crush em in second game.

We could really stop right here. But there's much more. Let's look:

1999: #2 offense, #29 defense

2005: #11 offense, #9 defense

1999: Played 3 teams with winning records, including meaningless game against Dolphins in week 17. Beat one, the Dolphins.

2005: Played 11 teams with winning records. Beat 6 of them. (so far)

1999: Took Gibbs 2 years to get to 10 wins. Clear indicator of progress.

2005: Took Turner 5 years. Stopped clock got it right for once.

The 2005 team simply because we have better players. Clinton Portis is a little above and beyond Steven Davis. Santana Moss is better than Michael Westbrook. Chris Cooley is better than Stephen Alexander and Mark Brunell is more effective than Brad Johnson.

On the defensive side of the ball the Redskins were ranked 30th or 29th in 1999 and still won the NFC east and made the post season. The 2005 Redskins defense is far superior.

The 1999 team was fine, but it made the playoffs by default.

The Cowboys were down (despite beating us twice), the Eagles hadn't become what they are now, and the Giants were down for a year too...

Not to mention, we beat up on the bad teams and lost every game vs. a good team (unless you count division games).

The final thing is that we won "soft" that year. We won with a flashy offense and very little defense. This team is built to win ugly and beat other teams up. We're built to win playoff games...not pretty October ones.

One difference between the two- the 2005 team has a playoff win.

So did the 1999 team, over the Lions at FedEx.

I go with the 05 team, in 1999 there were some games we were hoping to win and not fall apart while playing. In 05 we were expecting to win and knew teams had to play a great game to beat us. The mentality of this team is one of a winner being born, while 1999 was a loser winning for the first time, both reflections of the Head Coach.

:dallasuck :gaintsuck :eaglesuck

Archived