Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sports Guy (ESPN) Prediciton

Clinton "F'n" Portis

Didn't see this on the board so here you go courtesy www.espn.com

"On to the Round 1 picks (home teams in caps) ...

Redskins (+2.5) over BUCCANEERS

Remember when Tampa waltzed into New England in Week 15 and got summarily destroyed? There are two kinds of football butt-kickings -- the Aberration Butt-Kicking and the Decisive Butt-Kicking -- and that game fell into the latter category. The poor Bucs couldn't block New England's front seven, couldn't stop the run, couldn't do anything. They were manhandled. It was a mismatch. Even Gruden seemed resigned to what was happening -- he barely did the Eastwood Squint the whole game. And normally that would be fine, but they were playing for a playoff spot and couldn't afford a stink bomb like that, not at that stage of the season. That makes me think they aren't very good.

Three other things scare me from Tampa's perspective:

1. They're going against a red-hot Redskins team that seems to be peaking at the right time (see Rule No. 6 of the Manifesto). I keep reading how the Skins are banged up and running on fumes ... how can you be running on fumes when you've run off five straight? Would you want to play these guys right now?

2. I don't even remotely trust Chris Simms. Take everything shaky about a young QB during a season, then triple it during the playoffs -- the list of young QB's who didn't self-destruct in their first or second playoff game is small, to say the least. (Note: it's like finding a female celebrity under 24 who became famous and didn't immediately turn into a chain smoking, popsicle-stick-bodied lunatic.) On the flip side, someone like Mark Brunell is perfect for these situations. He'll limp around, run for a few first downs, hit a few deep throws, act like a general pest and involve the Lord in every touchdown celebration. My money's on him.

3. If the Bucs pull out a win, that would send them to Chicago for a freezing cold Round 2 game, as well as the following Fox promo: "SIMMS! GROSSMAN! It's Round 2 of the NFL Playoffs on Fox!" Come on, that's not happening. Not in a million years. Take the points.

The Pick: Washington 24, Tampa 20"

My favorite espn writer by a long stretch. Usually amusing, smart, and clever, he's far better read than nearly their entire staff.

His spread record is crummy, but far better than essentially all the moronic published, knuckledragging idiots who continually have a gig despite never even cracking the .500 barrier. Look them up, virtually everyone published in the fishwraps is horse manure. Needless to say, I love his stuff.

On the flip side, someone like Mark Brunell is perfect for these situations. He'll limp around, run for a few first downs, hit a few deep throws, act like a general pest and involve the Lord in every touchdown celebration. My money's on him.

:laugh:

That's Brunell to a T.

I like the: Steelers, Pats, Giants, and Redskins.

The Panthers have been inconsistent all year; the Jags only beaten two teams with winning records; the Steelers have more veteran experience and are a lot healthier than the last time they played Cincy; the Redskins will get revenge.

Archived