Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

You won't believe what Dr.Z has to say about Tom Nalen in his All Pro picks

SkinsFTW

"Center

Tom Nalen. I really didn't want to pick him again, mainly because he started that nonsense about not talking to writers. Grades win, though, and I fought back the tears as I watched him edge, in order, Indy's Jeff Saturday, KC's Casey Weigmann, Cincy's Rich Braham, Atlanta's Todd McClure and the Steelers' Jeff Hartings. Then, while I was watching tape of some Tennessee defensive players, I saw Seattle's Robbie Tobeck get into a real hot streak. So I backed up and did a complete workup on him in the six other Seahawk games I saw and he came in at 2.33. This happens sometimes. Occasionally you get lucky and score with someone you never expected to be there."

Sounds like why those idiots don't want Art Monk in the HOF.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/dr_z/01/05/z.all.pro.offense/1.html

I can't believe no one else has commented on this.

Z is basically saying that he slighted Nalen because of Nalen's attitude towards sportswriters. Which, of course, has absolutely NOTHING to do with on-field performance. Yeah, I know it's just a personal list of Z's, but its indicative of his thought process in making any sort of Top List.

The sad thing is that Z is not alone.

This is complete and utter bull****, and reason #1 why the Hall of Fame voting system needs to be changed.

Yeah, exactly.

He said that he tried hard to pick someone else but since Nalen was by far the best this year he had no choice.

Now look at HOF voting and no player other than Jerry Rice is going to be head and shoulders above other HOF eligible players. SO they dont vote for Monk.

Yeah, exactly.

He said that he tried hard to pick someone else but since Nalen was by far the best this year he had no choice.

AND he had to "fight back tears" no less....like Nalen drove over his favorite pet or something.

hate to say it...but i'm thinking Monk is less and less likely to make the Hall now...i mean, we all kinda assumed Monk's aversion to talk much to the media has been holding him back a little in the minds of voters...but to see the bias so casually mentioned as if it were nothing...i just shake my head.

if we were to see Irvin go in and Monk stay out because of something like this...it would be the proverbial "F You" to skins fans everywhere.

Not everyone may agree, but the one thing I do give him credit for is that he at least admits his bias. He's proud of it - he revels in it. Does Don Banks? Does FAtty P? No.

But when it comes to his All-Pro team, I think his bias goes out the window. Unlike most writers who have a vote, he seems to take this very seriously. He's not all about the hype and watches as much tape as anyone I can think of. He has a system. He puts the time in which is all you can ask for as a fan.

Low and behold, he has 2 Skins on an 11 team offense of a possible 352 players. That's pretty good. Unfortunately for Moss who deserves to get an All-Pro nod, Chad Johnson will probably receive it instead since writers love to cover him.

I also applaud Dr.Z on his All-Pro selections, especially along of offensive line.

My biggest question mark is the pick of Tiki Barber. If you soley judge how a running back does against Kansas City then you probably have 16 hall of fame backs in the league every year.

AND he had to "fight back tears" no less....like Nalen drove over his favorite pet or something.

hate to say it...but i'm thinking Monk is less and less likely to make the Hall now...i mean, we all kinda assumed Monk's aversion to talk much to the media has been holding him back a little in the minds of voters...but to see the bias so casually mentioned as if it were nothing...i just shake my head.

if we were to see Irvin go in and Monk stay out because of something like this...it would be the proverbial "F You" to skins fans everywhere.

Irvin probably will.

Thats why I've been saying for a few years now that the HOF is a complete joke. The "Media Experts" who get to vote on it think that Monk not wanting to talk to them is justification to not vote him into the HOF.

Retiring with the most receptions in history should be automatic. It used to be automatic. It is what got Largent in despite never winning anything, same for Joiner before him as well.

In fact I don't think anyone who has ever led in catches even whoever held it before Taylor has been denied the HOF. I guess Monk gets to be the exception because receivers catch more balls now, even though he wasn't playing when it started to get out of hand. Sure, Rice broke his record but Monk broke Largent's only a couple years after Largent retired and he still got in. 0 Championships, 0 Championship Game wins, never won anything and he got in on the first ballot without question.

Archived