Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Wilderness, ie The Years Without Gibbs...

PCRoughrider

god, those were some tough years. thats pretty much my entire life as a redsins fan too. now that's depressing. you older guys have been spoiled.

Depends on HOW old....

Q: What is 1971 - 1945?

A: 0 playoff appearances.......and an awful lot of really bad football

I'm not old enough to personally remember most of this but being a fan of the team - to me - has always meant understanding the history.....the joy and the pain....

Cheers,

CLBinMD

I think what happened between the time Coach Gibbs left and the time that he returned had a lot to do with poor choices in the draft, impatient ownership, poor coach selections, and even poor coaching. I believe it all started downhill on a week 6 home game against the NY Giants in 1993. For the first few games of that season we were competitive then all of a sudden we were blown out at RFK Stadium 41-7 by the Giants. The week afterwards we take a 1-4 record into Arizona and get blasted 36-6 and since that time until Gibbs came back we were an unpredictable and pretty much unstable team who had a bad reputation for losing rather than winning.

I really think that Petibon could get the job done. He had Dohower as an offensive coordinator, but aging veterans, poor play calling, and bad coaching made us sink. They didn't play art Monk that year. Gary Clark and Mark Rypien were hurt and the Redskins were aging. Norv Turner's biggest mistake was not keeping Rypien and Monk. He wanted to draft a bum called Heath Shuler which didn't work out and the next year Michael Westbrook was chosen over Warren Sapp in the draft. Then Mr. Cooke died and then there was all of this mess about who would own the team. When Snyder came he put pressure on Norv only because Norv had two unimpressively winning seasons in six seasons as a coach prior to Snyder's arrival. And then he fired Norv in 2000, hired Marty the next year, Spurrier the next and then Gibbs came back the year after. There was all of this turmoil but it has ended because Gibbs came back.

god, those were some tough years. thats pretty much my entire life as a redsins fan too. now that's depressing. you older guys have been spoiled.

Actually, those of us who remember the Glory Years have had a much harder time of it I think. If you have been a fan for 10 years or less, you simply accept the reality of the world of which you are presented. In other words, like Cardinals fans.

In the 80's or early 90's this season would have been quite a disappointement thus far...but now it feels like we are all on top of the world.

Man I am only 25 years old and I remember very well as a little boy watching the Redskins win games. As a teenager and young adult they did nothing but lose. I was talking to my grandfather during the Spurrier tenure. And even though I was young Gibbs' first time around I still remembered all the excitement of being a redskins fan back then and I told my grandfather that the only thing that could save us now would be if Gibbs came back. Believe me not once did I honestly think it was a reality. I remember listening to D.C. 101 and caught the very end of Elliot before going to a commercial and he said something about Gibbs coming back. I almost wrecked my truck, litterally. Snyder was definately on his way to completely destroying what so many of us love to death, but if there was any kind of quick fix for it he found it when he got Gibbs to come back. Then this year I go to watch the Skins play the Chargers and after that loss all through out the stadium were redskins fans hollering for Gibbs to leave. I couldnt believe it, Joe Gibbs is the answer. And everybody can see this now. I just hope that we hire from within, which looks like were moving that way, when Gibbs steps down. Cause I sure as hell dont want another Norv.

Archived