Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Football 101: I have a question

Khun Kao

Today, the Pat's successfully performed a drop kick for a score. It is my understanding (if I heard the highlights correctly) that this was the first successful drop kick used in an NFL game since the 40's.

What is the deal with a drop kick? What are the rules about it? How does it work? Does it score 3 points?

Drop Kick if you don't know what it is, someone basically lines up in a punt formation, drops the ball like he's going to kick it, just as it hits the ground the kicker kicks it. It was performed for an extra point yesterday, not sure on the field goal attempt situation.

It seems to me back when George Allen was coaching we tried a drop kick once, it was unsuccessful. I believe it was Mark Mosley that attempted it. Its been so many years ago I am not sure. The only reason I remember it was because I had never heard of it before. I think the rule then was if you missed the other team got the ball at the point you drop kicked. Instead of on the 20 yard line, if you missed a field goal. I realize they have changed the rules now and that applies to field goal now also.

I knew my memory was suspect on the drop kick, I just did a little research and it was

Curt Knight and the coach was Vince Lombardi, it was a free kick where Knight used a drop kick.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/index.php?p=3017

Lombardi was also involved in another attempt, during his one year as coach of the Skins (1969)

as outlined in the book “Coach: A season with Lombardi”, at the end of a tie game with the Iggles, Walt Roberts signalled for a fair catch at about his own 45, but he muffed it and immediately fell on it. The refs forgot that the muff negated the right to a free kick possibility, and they allowed Curt Knight to try one

He missed it and the game ended in a tie. Would have been embarassing as hell for the refs if he had made it.

Darn I should have read further into the article I just found this.

4) 1979 Redskins’ Mosely attempted 74 yard fair catch kick in 4th quarter of 14-6 loss to Giants. Verified thru Washington Post. (This was the one I remember, and if my memory serves me right it was a dropkick.)

The drop kick was more commonly used in the days pre-modern football, when the ball was rounder. It was easier to predict the bounce obviously. Basicaly, the kicker drops it, and can kick it AFTER it hits the ground. It hasnt been done since 41 because it really isnt that practical today, just a cool little footnote in the rules, hence why it was done by a QB giving his last hoorah.

The other thing that killed the drop kick was changing the rules so that you can't attempt a field goal from beyond the line of scrimmage.

I would like to see the NFL change this rule. Here's a scenario: A team is on their own 20 yard line, down by 2 with 10 seconds left. They throw the ball deep down the middle, hook and ladder to a trailing receiver, and then attempt a drop kick for the win. It would probably never work, but it would be fun to see the attempt.

I knew my memory was suspect on the drop kick, I just did a little research and it was

Curt Knight and the coach was Vince Lombardi, it was a free kick where Knight used a drop kick.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/index.php?p=3017

Lombardi was also involved in another attempt, during his one year as coach of the Skins (1969)

as outlined in the book “Coach: A season with Lombardi”, at the end of a tie game with the Iggles, Walt Roberts signalled for a fair catch at about his own 45, but he muffed it and immediately fell on it. The refs forgot that the muff negated the right to a free kick possibility, and they allowed Curt Knight to try one

He missed it and the game ended in a tie. Would have been embarassing as hell for the refs if he had made it.

Darn I should have read further into the article I just found this.

4) 1979 Redskins’ Mosely attempted 74 yard fair catch kick in 4th quarter of 14-6 loss to Giants. Verified thru Washington Post. (This was the one I remember, and if my memory serves me right it was a dropkick.)

I don't believe either Moseley's or Knight's attempts were drop kicks (I remember Moseley's very well). They were both Free kicks after fair catches but not drop kicks.

Moseley should have been able to try another one against Dallas but the refs screwed up the clock and he wasn't allowed to try it.

Archived