Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mark & Clinton's Press Conf.'s on Redskins.com

Jumbo

First, Mark as always...what class, and he radiates a quiet and calm leadership quality. But it was interesting how he denied his knee was much of a factor and felt "good". I could say a bunch of different things about that, but they'd be the same things you're already thinking out there.

Second, Clinton was funny when they asked him how that TD was designed and he said "I think it was designed for a 2 yd loss". He also had interesting things to say about the D unit, which I won't elaborate on to avoid a certain overworked topic for no good reason ;) , and the pull-down inside jersey grabs he's been getting. What did you think about those post-game sessions?

I mean, those guys really love football. I mean, what can you say? I mean must be a U think because Santana was doing the same thing.

Seriously, Mark obviously was a little scary the first half. His mechanics were off and he definitely wasn't giving the recievers very good looks. He kind of eluded in his interview that the knee won't be an issue at all next week, lets hope he's right.

As far as Portis is concerned, I love that guy. Never does he talk about himself. He always gives the team credit for his success and made it quite clear that all he's concerned with is winning and not his stats. Honestly when this guy first came into the league I thought he was a pre-modonna but he's made me a believer. I can't remember a running back in recent history that's as complete of back as CP. Just look at the blocks this kid throws on LB's and he's ran for over 2800yds in two seasons as a Redskin.

I mean, those guys really love football. I mean, what can you say? I mean must be a U think because Santana was doing the same thing.

Seriously, Mark obviously was a little scary the first half. His mechanics were off and he definitely wasn't giving the recievers very good looks. He kind of eluded in his interview that the knee won't be an issue at all next week, lets hope he's right.

As far as Portis is concerned, I love that guy. Never does he talk about himself. He always gives the team credit for his success and made it quite clear that all he's concerned with is winning and not his stats. Honestly when this guy first came into the league I thought he was a pre-modonna but he's made me a believer. I can't remember a running back in recent history that's as complete of back as CP. Just look at the blocks this kid throws on LB's and he's ran for over 1800yds in two seasons as a Redskin.

2800 yards, you mean... ;)

I can't remember who it was during the game, but it was either an Eagles corner or a linebacker(looked like an LB) coming in on a blitz from the left side and Portis laid him out so bad it should garner a spot on jacked up. Seriously. Brunell completed the pass too. When a team plays as a team, and actually enjoy doing it... well, it's just beautiful.

I feel bad Cooley didn't have much of a game. I'm sure that means good things for us... he'll be angry against Tampa. We'll need him against that run defense down there. He'll surely keep em honest.

It was a LB. Portis has blown up more LB's on pass protection than any RB I've ever seen.

I think Cooley had too much Champagne last night. He was definitely off tonight. I hope he's better next week because Santana can't do it alone.

I was like Ghost, Art (not two people you usually link together on a position :D ) and no doubt some others regarding Mark's performance in the game. Since this is being talked about in several threads, I'll just give my :2cents: here.

I share with those guys a conflict I was feeling between Mark's struggles, which I attributed to his knee, and putting Ramsey in when its a situation with no room for any error of any size. It broke down this way for me:

Mark, even hobbled, had the advantage in having an established history this year of competent game management including avoiding big negative plays and making occassional big positive plays, with arms & feet, when desparately needed, plus having a poise (usually) and leadership under stress.

On the other hand, I was thinking of Pat's looking pretty decent after he settled down in NY, and making sharper passes of a greater variety than Mark was able to do this day. I kept going back & forth on the risk factor, seeing liabilites with either and advantages with either. It was a very tough call, but I decided I'd stay with what has worked to date, rather than hope that even an arguably valid change would awork, maybe even better. It was that marginal line between more of a sure thing vs almost as sure a thing.

I know all this is sheer brain-dancing, and I imagined the thoughts might be the same with Joe. Maybe he never agonized over it though, and knew what it was going to be. His track record for being right in the end must be hard for even someone with his humility to second guess, even with him knowing he's been wrong at times.

At this point, even if Mark was in exactly the same condition against Tampa, I'd start him there too and see how it went. Easily argued I admit, but thats what I would do. And if Gibbs sees something in practice this week that changes things, I'll be fine with that too.

Jumbo I totally agree. I was suspicious of Joe's judgement (I know never question Joe) during the first half. Mark just didn't look sharp at all and it wasn't difficult to see his leg was the difference. His mechanics were terrible, but it's his mental toughness that's winning us games.

There's no question PR is physically a better QB than Mark. Mark however has wisdom and experience and that's what was needed tonight. When the chips are down you have to go with old reliable, even if it's not 100%. I honestly don't think Mark would have allowed his ego get in the way and would have let Joe know if he didn't feel he could get it done. There was way too much at risk.

Just when you think Coach Gibbs has made a questionable decision he proves to us why he's in the HOF and we're sitting at home watching on TV. I've questioned him a few times this season but I think I'm definitely a Gibbsian convert.

Archived