Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Eagles sign Antonio Freeman

Tony Banks was an update over Jeff George too.

Freeman is better than what they had, but it's not 1996. Fecal fans have bashed Snyder and the Skins for the last couple of years for picking up older vets. With the additions of Kirkland Levens and Freeman, they should all shut their pie holes.

A trivia question for Philthy fans.

Your starting offense has scored how many touchdowns this preseason? Hint-It's the same as the number of SuperBowls you've won.

A few good hits on McNabb, and he won't be running around as much.

See Exhibit A: LaVar Arrington and Troy Aikman

... or Exhibit B: LaVar Arrington and Kordell Stewart

... or Exhibit C: LaVar Arrington and Antwan Randell El.

As Marvin Lewis said "We want to hit the Quarterback when he gets off the bus".

If McNabb manages to stay in the game at that point, let's see him stay in the pocket and show his er ... um ... ability.

I wouldn't want him on the Skins. Can't throw worth a darn, and he doesn't read the field.:rolleyes:

Ooooooweeeeeee.

Can't wait until that Monday Night game!!!!!!!!:pint:

Can't wait until that Monday Night game!!!!!!!!

Anxious to end your season early, huh?

It must be August...the Redskins fans are brainwashed again. Come October, I'll be able to resume my favorite post-game hobby of listening to you whiners on WJFK complain about everything under the sun after another Redskin loss...

"This coach needs to be run out of town....waaaahhh"

"Our stadium sucks.....waaaahhh"

"Our QB sucks....waaaahhh"

"They need to give the ball to Davis more....waaaahhh"

"I can't get out of the parking lot.....waaaahhh"

Save your money and keep selling your tickets to us. Otherwise, you'll just be sorry you spent the money...just like Snyder is every year on his coach and free agents.

So much better to not spend the allotted salary cap and make the city and tax payers pay for the stadium. Then you can charge your idiot fans a seat licensing fee. Lurie sure is a genious at bilking you morons.

How many free agents have the Fecals signed this year?

Levens, Freeman, Kirkland, Barber, Bishop.

How many did I leave out?

Can your McRunning Back lead the offense to a Touchdown this year? Sure hasnt done it in preseason.

Superbowl Titles in the NFC East-10

Every team but the Fecals has multiple Trophies.

I'll take mine, recently anyway. They've been more promising every year, not more concerning. BTW, Art, I've missed you. Spending alot of time "tweaking" your Madden? I'm sure you've got those receivers running perfect routes with pillows for hands by now...and Wuerffel's throwing darts. How long'd that take...a week?

Don't be bitter. We're better than you for a change. You talk a smart game...you should know that. Admit it. You're concerned about your team this year. You really don't know what to expect. Same as me. That's why we're here. Hoping to find a few people with reasonable opinions. As I've said before, I respect your opinion...some others on this board need a wakeup call.

Rob, I have Ramsey as my QB, not Wuerffel on Madden. Thinking long term there. Though it took me a couple of days to get the passing down. Slightly more time than it took Spurrier to get Wuerffel throwing real darts :).

As for our teams, no, I'm not concerned or worried or questioning or doubtful. I know there will be, largely, one of two teams on the field this year. The one in which Spurrier is more intelligent than the NFL and gets Wuerffel to produce, leading the Redskins to an easy division title or the one where Spurrier is wrong and the NFL is right and Wuerffel can't produce and we are hoping Ramsey develops for next year.

I'm curious and exited to find out which team it will be. But, mistake it not. If Wuerffel is productive, we win the division in a run away. If he's not, we're about where we were last year. I don't know which team will be the one we see during the year, but, I know precisely what to expect right now, despite not knowing which.

I suspect you fear one of those two because you know that we're still better than you except at QB and if we get that play, we're going to destroy you. And, admit it, you're concerned that Spurrier can win with a guy like Wuerffel making everything the Eagles have done to build their team meaningless. That's what the NFL fears.

The NFL fears Spurrier being right and making conventional wisdom wrong, making a lot of teams wonder why they can't win a lot faster than they do. Or, in the case of the Eagles, ever, since you've never won :).

Art, Art, Art...

There you go again, claiming that the Skins are better than the Eagles in every way shape and form than (other than QB). Its simply not the case, as we've been over a million times the defenses are of similar ilk.

The offenses, well, one is based around the tremendous talent of one man and his outstanding offensive line, the other is based around an unproven offensive system, so there's really no basis for comparison there... yet.

Special teams... well I don't think you'd find many people who would say that the Eagles have anything less than an elite group there and amazingly they are only supposed to be better this year.

Intelligent football talk is one thing, claiming the Skins are better than the Eagles everywhere except at QB is a little bit of wishful thinking.

:pint:

Sure, I'll give you that...the IF part. If Wuerffel can get the job done, the Skins score 35 a week and the defense does what it should, who could beat them? But, as you note, history is against that. It's a bit contradictory to say that you know what to expect then give me two diametrically opposite scenarios. That is the essence of "not knowing what to expect". My opinion is a middle-ground one, sometimes it will click and sometimes it won't. I told you that I see the Skins at 10-6 or 6-10 depending on which team plays in any given week.

Stink,

You may not be aware of it, but the Redskins special teams were among the league's best last year and we were THE best in terms of kickoff coverage unless that changed toward the end of the year.

Regardless, our defenses are, indeed, similar. We have more talent, to be certain. We have more young, rising talent as well, to be certain. But, as discussed, there is some proximity here. Our offensive system is what it is. It appears, even being run with college football plays and no NFL flavor, better than your vanilla offense. Just because our vanilla offense is so much prettier than your vanilla offense doesn't mean we should apologize for it, does it?

In a second you'd pick what our system appears to be over your system on offense and you know it. Much like I've said I like Johnson's scheme better than I tend to like Lewis. It's exciting and risk taking and the rewards are so much greater than the dink and dump and scramble thing you've got going. I also like Reid a great deal as a coach. But, system for system, you would trade it in a heartbeat and you know it.

But, I recommend you read over the statement I made and become aware that it didn't necessarily say were better than you everywhere. Just that we are clearly better than you, in total, sans QB consideration, which puts you where you are.

Rob,

The Redskins don't have to score 35 a week. I'd be shocked even if Spurrier is correct if we top 24 on most weeks. That's all we need to be the best in the division. At 35 a week we're the best in the league. At 17 a week we are competitive, and average, and we start hoping Ramsey is learning.

But, it's not contradictory to say that I know what to expect when I do. Knowing what to expect simply provides that I'm aware of what to expect. Of the choices, which to expect is not a question I can answer. You simply said I don't know WHAT to expect and I do. I know all of the whats possible to expect. Which of the whats? Don't know. :).

My "35" included a TD that was either scored or setup nicely the D each week. 24 is probably more realistic. Sure, I'd much rather have a system that consistently threw the ball downfield rather than focusing on the seven yards directly ahead. But from what I've seen at camp and in a few plays this preseason, I may get what I asked for. The dink passing was put in initially to get McNabb comfortable two years ago as a full-time starter and kept in last year since ALL of our WRs were first-time starters in the system. I think it will open up quite a bit during the season. This is another question we need to check back on in Week 8.

So you're saying you know what to expect, just not sure which which is which?

Originally posted by codeorama

If I were an Eagle fan, my biggest concern would be McNabb getting hurt. The Eagles have nothing if he is gone. (That is a compliment to McNabb) I wonder how many Eagle fans will be squirming in week two everytime LaVar gets a little close.

The same can be said for the Rams, Niners, and Packers, very few teams have a backup QB that isn't a significant dropoff from the starter, especially when the starter is a two-time pro-bowler.

From the looks of A.J. Feeley, I thought we had a good backup last season, but he's fallen off somewhere...guess we'd be back to Koy. But I tend not to worry about things until they happen. Nobody will get uptight if Arrington gets too close, because McNabb plays without fear. If he gets hit, blindsided or otherwise, and doesn't get up on his own....that would be a problem, but what can you do?...slap the backup on the rear, tell him to get in there and do his best.

Originally posted by StinkNugget

The same can be said for the Rams, Niners, and Packers, very few teams have a backup QB that isn't a significant dropoff from the starter, especially when the starter is a two-time pro-bowler.

I dissagree. Both the Rams and Niners have MUCH better RBs and WRs. In fact, both could switch to a more smash-mouth run oriented offense if they suffered a drop-off in QB production. The Eagles, and maybe the Packers, would have much more trouble maintaining any sort of offense without their Marquee player under center.

I agree with Henry, the other teams mentioned are weak at back up and would probably falter as well, but Philly's hopes ALL rest with McNabb. He is a great player, maybe not stats wise, but he is their team. The Rams could find a way with Marshall and Company, the Packers are not a lock to be in the playoffs, but most people pick the Eagles to be back in the champion ship game with the Rams. If the Rams and Eagles played without their starting qb's, the rams would kill them.

So to all the critics of McNabb that think that we'd be toast without him, here's a thought.

What if the backup is not as flashy, won't complete as many passes to the 3rd and 4th receiver in the checkdown, and doesn't have much mobility to speak of, but is smart enough not to force a poor pass or take a sack. What if he could hit the 1st and 2nd receivers from the pocket in short or deep patterns and get the ball harmlessly out of bounds when pressured? Would he be a step up or a step down? Be careful how you answer, because I just described Koy Detmer, who by the way, has proven his ability to lead this team when McNabb was out for two games in 1999.

Basically, he's a guy that won't be able to win by himself, but has the proven leadership ability to not make mistakes, and let the other players (Staley, Westbrook, Thrash, Freeman) do what they can to help.

There have been many cases in sports when a team is actually somewhat better when the "star" player is unavailable and the rest of the team has to step up to cover the difference. Why should we have anything to worry about. You're assuming that snapping the ball to anybody other than McNabb is as good as snapping to a tackling dummy. Koy has been good enough to hang onto the 2nd QB job for 5 years now...because he's smart and effective, but knows that he won't win any games by himself.

You put Koy Detmer in that offense and your defense had better hold the opponents offense to 14 or fewer. Serviceable backup QB may work for the aformentioned Niners with their pro-bowl WR and RB, or the Rams with their pro-Bowl WR and RB, or even the Packers with their pro-bowl RB to lean on. But the Eagles have one, ONE reliable weapon on offense. And as he goes, so go the Eagles. I like Staley, but you cannot count on him to shoulder the load anymore. Not like three years ago when the immortal Koy Detmer last saw action. Freeman is a very solid WR, but Terrell Owens he is not. Isaac Bruce he is not.

The Eagles succeed due to great defense and McNabb. That's not a criticism. That's the way it is.

Originally posted by EagleRob

So to all the critics of McNabb that think that we'd be toast without him, here's a thought.

What if the backup is not as flashy, won't complete as many passes to the 3rd and 4th receiver in the checkdown, and doesn't have much mobility to speak of, but is smart enough not to force a poor pass or take a sack. What if he could hit the 1st and 2nd receivers from the pocket in short or deep patterns and get the ball harmlessly out of bounds when pressured? Would he be a step up or a step down?

The Redskins are a team with a history of losing to 2nd string QBs.. the Cowboys have been doing it to us for 3 years now.

So, we KNOW that a servicable backup can do damage to a team. But, the REAL Q is whether or not they can do it for several games in a row, or over most of a season.

You are saying that you think Koy fits the description you offer above... fine. That is also a description that fits Trent Dilfer. But I still remember when Koy started a few games, and Koy is NO Trent Dilfer!

If he DID provide you something like you described, then he would be a step up in consistency for you, but probably a decrease in leadership. If he was VERY good at avoiding mistakes, then it would be a step up in performance.

IF Koy is as good as you say, then you have nothing to worry about, right?

Glad you can sleep easy with Koy as your backup. I would not be so comfortable.

I have to agree with Henry. The Eagles would take a HUGE step down with Koy as QB. The Eagles' receivers need McNabb's scrambling and improvisational skills just to get open, and there is no running game in Philly. McNabb is a better running back than Staley or anybody else.

Originally posted by EagleRob

What if the backup is not as flashy, won't complete as many passes to the 3rd and 4th receiver in the checkdown, and doesn't have much mobility to speak of, but is smart enough not to force a poor pass or take a sack. What if he could hit the 1st and 2nd receivers from the pocket in short or deep patterns and get the ball harmlessly out of bounds when pressured? Would he be a step up or a step down? Be careful how you answer, because I just described Koy Detmer, who by the way, has proven his ability to lead this team when McNabb was out for two games in 1999.

i think that description would be off... if he was that good, he'd be starting... u remember Jeff George? he was a reliable back-up for a few games too... he even lit up the Rams in 2000... but what happened when he was asked to do more than 'back-up'? Koy might be average for one or two games, but if he's in for more than that, expect the Eagles to completely fold...

Archived