Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins.com: In From the Cold

Om

I generally don’t respond much in these column threads, because I don’t like only answering and/or thanking some of you, and not all, for the sometimes humbling things said. I tend to feel a bit awkward about seemingly bumping my own thread.

With apologies, then, and while expressing thanks to all for the kind words ...

Over the many years I have read many things related to the Redskins.

In my humble opinion the is absolutely the best I have ever seen. You are a genius.

Thank you for stirring those old feelings from better days gone by.

Did I mention “humbling?”

As to the highlighted part, that’s for my kids. Been trying to convince them of this for years. ;)

A long way from, Regroup and Reassess. That's what a winning-streak will do for you. I'm glad you're back believing with your heart. Good job.

I expected to be called on that piece. Rightfully so.

In response ...

I never stopped believing in where this team was headed over the long haul, but I do admit that when I wrote that in the immediate aftermath of the home loss to Oakland, I let emotion speak, and wrote of doubts about this season turning around to the extent it has.

In doing so, I badly underestimated the effects of some key injuries, and underestimated this year’s team’s ability to bounce back from the adversity it faced in quite the Hollywood fashion it has. I suspect I was not alone in those day-after assessments.

Closed that piece with this:

“May I be 100% wrong about all of this, and be able to come back in few weeks and report that I had absolutely no idea what I was talking about, and celebrate with the rest of you a winning streak and renewed expectations for post-season football in 2005.”

I’m good for it. I’m here to report that, on that dark day, I had absolutely no idea what I was talking about.

Thank heaven for mornings after.

Om, I waited a day after I first read that to respond. I couldn't believe I literally got a lump in my throat and felt my skin tingling.

It's another part of being someone who found this place. Though I was not here at the beginning, I made it. I have spent my whole life in the west, from Alaska to Mexico to Hawaii but never east of Wyoming. The first years I was a fan, until I was 23 or so, I lived in Alaska. I spent all those years having met maybe two or three other Redskins fans to talk about my team with, and only for passing moments.

While I did run into some fellow ‘skins more often as I moved down to the Pacific NW, it was still a relatively rare experience. But no big deal. I grew up very self-sufficient and autonomous. Then a few years ago I first found a little place on a Post (of all places) Redskins board and after a couple of years going only there, I saw links to this place and started dropping by, mainly reading the news, and just some threads.

These experiences were the first time I found myself amidst such a number of people who knew and cared about the Redksins! Unfortunately, the Redksins were not doing well and hadn't for a long time. All the times in the past I had reveled in Gibbs’ first tenure, I pretty much did it alone in terms of not having other Redskins fans in my area, watching all 3 Superbowls with fans of other teams.

And now I hang out here as the only real internet entertainment site, let alone sports site I allow time for. Here I find a community of 40,000 fans! With access to the players, coaches, and all the Redskins-oriented stuff I could ever dream of, and some I never would have--like Bang! Plus, I get to do it while the 'skins are turning things around with Joe Gibbs back, at a time when I love just about every damn player and coach in this organization. Unbelievable!

And I get to do it among fellows who are reaching out, touching, talking to, and standing right alongside THEM! Yet these guys are one of me! Amazing! I can feel it! I asked a Redskin a question! And he answered it! He said it was a great question! Wow! This place brings out the kid in me. I like that. I do a lot of real serious stuff, and I like what happens when I get here. It’s not just fan-tastic fun, it helps. And then to top it off, I have the privilege to read the work of some of my fellows who have the ability to pen words that take me through a literary worm-hole to right where they are in thought and in spirit. And I know these places. They’re familiar to me. They're home. It was reading this last line that made me want to wait a day to tell you, and all the people who built this site, "thanks":

Thanks, Om :)

I quote this post in full because it beautifully represents the very reasons I suspect we’re all here. So please allow me to accept your thanks the best way I know how—by returning them in all sincerity.

Thank you.

Joe Gibbs wouldn't approve of you counting his chickens. But you are allowed to go down to the feed store and buy up all the bird seed you can, cause we're gonna need it!!!

What you are witnessing is the proverbial Redskins Roll that is the hallmark of a Joe Gibbs team. Get on a roll, play Redskins football, and don't be denied. There were many of us there to witness how it was done during the first tenure. I don't see any difference in the manner in which it is being executed now. Like Joe Theisman says, I see the Redskins of old out there.

As a die hard Redskins fan, where else would you rather be, than right here, right now? Roll on, roll on, sons of Washington, til you have won.

I haven't commented on one of OM's pieces for some time now, though I read every one. From a person who never fails to amaze me each and every time he puts the quill to the partchment, this one just blows you away.

Stiring enough to put a lump in my throat, which isn't an easy task.........

:notworthy :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

That really was amazing writing. I see I'm not the only one with a lump in my throat from reading that. It's good to see there really are TRUE Redskin fans out there whatever the weather may be. I truely hope the rainy days are gone...but if for some reason things don't go as planned, I'll still be here...and after reading all these posts, I see you all will be too. I'm really glad I came across this board.

Man, If you're not a professional writer you should be...........a collection of your pieces would make a nice book........went back and read the piece from 2004.....you're a prophet as well (I was thinking the same things tho!) Can't wait till Monday mornings effort!

Point blank. It's got to be our year. I feel it in my bones. SUPERBOWL CHAMPS. It just has to be. WE've been eating sh%# and asking for seconds for far too long. (as fans that is) As fans we deserve this, and if it ends tomorrow (GOD FORBID) I know I'll be hurt, but you know, I'll still be really proud of our boys. They've given us a gift this year,HOPE. Hope and remembrence. Remembering what it felt like in the eighties and early ninties. I have that same feeling today, and nobody can take away that feeling. At least not about this year. So GOOD LUCK BOYS! Let's give em hell! And if it ends (which I don't think it will at least not for a few more weeks) Thank you for returning that loving feeling back to me, and I'm sure millions more.:cheers::cheers::point2sky:notworthy:notworthy:notworthy:applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause:

Point blank. It's got to be our year. I feel it in my bones. SUPERBOWL CHAMPS. It just has to be. WE've been eating sh%# and asking for seconds for far too long. (as fans that is) As fans we deserve this, and if it ends tomorrow (GOD FORBID) I know I'll be hurt, but you know, I'll still be really proud of our boys. They've given us a gift this year,HOPE. Hope and remembrence. Remembering what it felt like in the eighties and early ninties. I have that same feeling today, and nobody can take away that feeling. At least not about this year. So GOOD LUCK BOYS! Let's give em hell! And if it ends (which I don't think it will at least not for a few more weeks) Thank you for returning that loving feeling back to me, and I'm sure millions more.:cheers::cheers::point2sky:notworthy:notworthy:notworthy:applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause:

Outstanding man.......I have been learning over the years to express my emotions and thoughts in a better fashion, but you seem to have it down pat. I mighta been able to say something half as good, but there would have been a lot of cursewords in mine, LOL. Way to stir the emotions of longtime skins fans bro. Hail.

Norvousness?.....That's a good one.

I used to refer to him as:

Nerve Torner!

And his Raiders suck!

Couldn't even beat the Giants and give us a chance at the title!

Can't count on anyone these days.

What's the saying?

If you want something done right, you have to do it yourself!

Let's do it in Philly!

Hail!:eaglesuck

Archived