Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Kornheiser - He's No Flop (Brunell), So I've Flipped

SkinnedUntilRed

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/12/27/AR2005122700872.html

He's No Flop, So I've Flipped

By Tony Kornheiser

I thought I would never be saying this, but I'm excited by the news that Mark Brunell might be ready to start Sunday. (And as my editor Cindy reminds me, at my age, I take excitement wherever I can find it.)

Last year I thought Brunell was the worst quarterback in the NFL. I had no idea why Joe Gibbs signed him, and no idea why Gibbs stubbornly kept playing him. I looked at Brunell, and I saw Kurt Warner -- a guy whose skills had vanished overnight. Only Warner was better than Brunell. Warner actually won a few games for the Giants early. Brunell's season looked like an audition tape for "Lost."......

Open the link above or open your paper for the rest....

--------

WTG, Tony. You've eaten your crow. Now Sally, on the other hand....

:point2sky

Tony has never been a Skins hater, he's actually a bit of a professed Washington (and New York) homer on PTI. He just takes what he needs to right a funny little article.

I dont need to hear it from Kornheiser, but its nice to see articles of his being about the bandwagon and not the badwagon.

Its pretty much how I see it.

During the off-season I was (once again) pulling big for PR as part of a love-pizzed relationship since he got here. I only respected Mark as person and not a QB anymore after his awful play, even though the whole rest of the team's offense (including some of the coaching) sucked pretty bad at the time and I always pointed that out to be fair to Mark.

But after OTA's, training camp, and pre-season I believed that Gibbs made the right (though tough) decision based on all the relevant factors and histories when he made the switch.

Since then I have quickly become an actual Brunell fan too, due to both his play and character, personality, and leadership qualitites.

Its nice to see a reporter openly make a mea culpa with no reservations.

Tony has a rep of coming clean when he has been proven wrong. I listen to his show on the radio all the time and when a player does something that shows him up. He admits to it.

Interesting to notice that since he's not really writing "sports" columns anymore.

God Bless Tony K.

because an int for a touchdown or 3 int's in the first half against one of the worse teams in the league arent potential catastrophic mistakes, i can honestly say ill be fine with either one of them starting on sunday as long as we continue to run portis mad

because an int for a touchdown or 3 int's in the first half against one of the worse teams in the league arent potential catastrophic mistakes, i can honestly say ill be fine with either one of them starting on sunday as long as we continue to run portis mad

Thing is, Brunell has a great TD/INT ratio. I think he has something like 22 TDs and 8 INTs. Versus the rest of the QBs in the league, it ranks among the best. Ramsey is a chronic interception thrower and has been for years. Remember the Bears game, anyone? It wasn't that long ago...

the thing is, TK gives credit where it is due. he also has no problem admitting when he is wrong. its hard to be like that when you have to put your thoughts down for so many people to read. i write an nfl column in my college newspaper and i admit when im wrong. it is incredibly annoying to deal with all that criticism every week. he does a great job.

Archived