Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jabba's Tip Sheet not confident on D Gardener's health

Southtown

No sources quoted here, so take it for what its worth...maybe injury news, or maybe Lenny just being Lenny...

http://msn.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/pasquarelli_len/1421908.html

Injury issue in D.C. Washington Redskins officials are far more worried about the health of Daryl Gardener than they are letting on, and so are some people close to the mammoth defensive tackle. While the Redskins continue to suggest that they have received encouraging reports about Gardener's balky back, he had to have an epidural injection last week, and no one will predict when he will get back on the field. The 'Skins have already lost Santana Dotson (Achilles tendon) for the entire season and are thin at tackle. There are some folks at Redskins Park who wonder if Gardener will play at all this season. If he doesn't, it will reduce the effectiveness of fellow starting tackle Dan Wilkinson, and possibly the effectiveness of the team's linebackers, too.

Gardener was NEVER to have been assumed to be an every down player for us. 30-40 plays a game would have been ideal. Less would have been less ideal. That back is a key for him and our success there. He looked so good against the Panthers. He didn't get hurt in the game, but when you have a back problem you can have it chewing gum.

I would be surprised if he's not in the lineup to start the season. With him, we should be pretty strong. I've liked what I've seen from Powell and Cowsette during the preseason. I would like it less perhaps if they were forced to be starters every game.

I'm not at all surprised by this.

In fact, given his absence from practice and games, I expected this to be the case. I guess the only alternative is to milk what they can out of him.

I'm guessing that if he remains available to play, he'll probably mostly only be playing, not practicing very much.

It's too bad. I really liked the way he played against Carolina. One encouraging note is that he is taking injections to allow him to play. If nothing else, it shows that he wants to play and will do what has to be done in order to let it happen. It would be understandable if he wanted to recuperate at his own pace (like Conway), but by taking treatment it indicates he wants to get back on the field.

Look, I'm certainly no Lenny fan, but how can anyone say he only writes negative stuff after his practically fawning article about LaVar Arrington?

I think the Skins can afford to be conservative about holding Gardener out because he is a veteran. He doesn't need a ton of work and flashed some of the big play potential in tandem with Big Daddy after being in camp only a few days.

But there is no doubt that Wilkenson and Gardener can be one of the best DT tandems in the league, and the defense can only benefit from that.

Even though I despise Jabba and generally don't have much respect for his opinions, he does have propose a valid argument here.

Gardener was a big risk. He's had chronic back problems and anyone with back problems knows, they rarely get better. Now imagine being an athlete with a back problem. Injuries to the back are very debilitating.

I have a feeling we're going to see Gardener in very limited action this year. I just hope Cowsette and Arp are ready to step up.

I'm going to agree with Arthur, I think the F.O. never considered Gardener a full time starter. I think even 15-20 snaps a game is a plus where he is concerned. Cowsette and Arp have been impressive in preseason so far, and Powell moving to the middle this last game provided good results. We'll get what we can out of Gardener, and that's going to have to be cream on the cake.

Next year, I'd like to see us focus on a mammoth DT in the draft. Someone like Jimmy Kennedy from Penn St., a monster blob in the middle who can collapse the pocket and interupt the backfield.

Finally, with roster cuts still coming.... we might also add a vet or youngster with potential to add to the rotation.

the Redksins rolled the dice on Gardener because there were precious other options available on the DL in the summer. Unless you wanted to grossly overpay Sam Adams who is going to get his 2.5 sacks and walk away with millions of dollars.

let's face it, the Redskins made a decision to use the draft to provide depth for the future. it was not a draft used to provide immediate help on the roster at starting positions.

That decision is what has caused the team to have to scramble so much on the OL and DL since April.

The truth is we won't know until after we see our picks over a year or two whether Mendes and Co. had the strategy right.

Was it the right thing to do to draft Ramsey when Spurrier thought he had enough quarterbacks on hand to get the job done for 2002?

Was it a sound plan to take a backup running back to Davis as your #2 selection in Ladell Betts or would it have been better to fill a need at OG or DE/DT?

The same thing can be said about the #3 picks. Russell wasn't going to be a starter in 2002 unless there were a number of key injuries and Bauman was slated to be the #4 corner.

Now, it is my opinion and belief that in a transition year the Redskins are not a legitimate Super Bowl contender, unless we see a spike in performances at key positions on the offense like the Patriots did with Brady, Troy Brown and Antowain Smith last year.

So, we are really angling to get over .500 and into the playoffs, with a real breakthrough coming in 2003.

If that is indeed the strategic thinking then a number of those key draft picks may just be ready to make major contributions at that time and things may dovetail nicely for the team.

Archived