Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What will be the key factor??

dadyjr

The most interesting of threads this week has dealt with the Skins inconsistent passing game as of late. Some feel turnovers and overall mistakes will tell Sunday's tale.

So what do you will be the golden nugget that seperates winner from loser on Sunday??

I believe the team that runs the ball best on first down will be the winner.

That team will have confidence to pound the ball in the cold weather throughout the contest, to eat clock and demoralize the opposition on 3rd and short conversions throughout.

This time of year running the ball is crucial. One of the million reasons Spurrier never could have worked here is that NFC East teams have to run the football late in the season in this cold weather to be successful.

One of the reasons the Cowboys always worry me is that over the last decade we have always struggled to run the ball down their throats. 2001 comes to mind. We had won five in a row coming off the powerful 13-3 win @ Philly and we lost to a sub-par Dallas team when immediately you could see we couldn't run the ball. And with Marty at the helm on 3rd and six we were running!!

In week 2 @ Dallas Portis had just 52 yards on 17 carries. that won't be enough. I'm telling you if we can run the ball for 4 yards a cary on 1st down we will win this game.

What is interesting is that Dallas has struggled as of late against solid running teams in KC and the NY Giants.

I feel if those struggles continue we'll live to see another week!!

1) Keep Dallas' offense off the field...keep our defense fresh (key).

2) Take shots downfield early and often...even if they are way overthrown. We need to to open up the running game and short passes (key).

3) NO TURNOVERS (key)!!!!

3) GET PRESSURE ON BLEDSOE

the third one is KEY. we need to pressure this guy. bledsoe is not that great, or hasnt been the past couple years, playin on cold/poor conditions. ALSO, he eats teams up if he has a lot of time. when bledsoe gets pressured, he is a TERRIBLE quarterback. absolutely awful-a turnover machine.

so we must pressure bledsoe, and Im sure greg williams has some tricks up his sleeve to take care of that

I agree, it is key for the skins to pressure Bledsoe........ but .... it MUST come mainly from the front 4. If you have to blitz just to get pressure on him......he's going to win that war in the long run.

1. As always we need to not lose the turnover battle. I am focusing on Brunell and his propensity to fumble. If he fumbles, especially in our territory... then we severely limit our chances of coming out with a W.

2. We must commit to the run early and often. This should open things up downfield.

3. Our key guys on defense must be healthy throughout the whole game (Griffin, Springs, Rogers, and Taylor)

4. We have to stop the big pass play by keying in on Terry Glenn and also the lower profile WR who always seems to burn us.

Another key factor is getting back Thrash. Not only for special teams (which seem to be doing fairly well without him, but he's always a big help there) but also because he's (outside of Cooley) the closest thing we have to a possession receiver, a guy who can go over the middle and get us 7-10 yards a play. That will be a pick-up to our short passing game, long passing game, and ability to keep the linebackers and Roy from cheating up too far and give Clinton some room to run. It also should hopefully take some of the coverage off of Moss and maybe even Jacobs will shine with some better receivers in.

:dallasuck

Another key factor is getting back Thrash. Not only for special teams (which seem to be doing fairly well without him, but he's always a big help there) but also because he's (outside of Cooley) the closest thing we have to a possession receiver, a guy who can go over the middle and get us 7-10 yards a play. That will be a pick-up to our short passing game, long passing game, and ability to keep the linebackers and Roy from cheating up too far and give Clinton some room to run. It also should hopefully take some of the coverage off of Moss and maybe even Jacobs will shine with some better receivers in.

:dallasuck

I've got good hopes for Thrash, too. We need somebody Brunell can throw to besides Moss and Cooley.

Make that "can and will".

I think Gibbs' playcalling will be the key in this game. We've got to open this thing up and go for the jugular.

On the defensive side of the ball, let's hope that Jimoh doesn't get too much time in at DB, especially in man coverage. If so, we're in deep trouble.

Man, I'm so tense. Bring on the Cowboys!

haha me too man. me too. but I think there are 3 very very important thing

1) establish the running game

2) no interceptions

3) GET PRESSURE ON BLEDSOE

the third one is KEY. we need to pressure this guy. bledsoe is not that great, or hasnt been the past couple years, playin on cold/poor conditions. ALSO, he eats teams up if he has a lot of time. when bledsoe gets pressured, he is a TERRIBLE quarterback. absolutely awful-a turnover machine.

so we must pressure bledsoe, and Im sure greg williams has some tricks up his sleeve to take care of that

i agree. i would like to see some consistent pressure on bledsoe. not just on the opening drive as has been the case.

Archived