Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What will be the key factor??

dadyjr

The most interesting of threads this week has dealt with the Skins inconsistent passing game as of late. Some feel turnovers and overall mistakes will tell Sunday's tale.

So what do you will be the golden nugget that seperates winner from loser on Sunday??

I believe the team that runs the ball best on first down will be the winner.

That team will have confidence to pound the ball in the cold weather throughout the contest, to eat clock and demoralize the opposition on 3rd and short conversions throughout.

This time of year running the ball is crucial. One of the million reasons Spurrier never could have worked here is that NFC East teams have to run the football late in the season in this cold weather to be successful.

One of the reasons the Cowboys always worry me is that over the last decade we have always struggled to run the ball down their throats. 2001 comes to mind. We had won five in a row coming off the powerful 13-3 win @ Philly and we lost to a sub-par Dallas team when immediately you could see we couldn't run the ball. And with Marty at the helm on 3rd and six we were running!!

In week 2 @ Dallas Portis had just 52 yards on 17 carries. that won't be enough. I'm telling you if we can run the ball for 4 yards a cary on 1st down we will win this game.

What is interesting is that Dallas has struggled as of late against solid running teams in KC and the NY Giants.

I feel if those struggles continue we'll live to see another week!!

Two main keys to the game from my perspective...

1- I think that the Redskins need a 100 yard game from Portis. We need to control the clock and keep our defense fresh.

2- Play smart, limit penalties and turnovers.

If Portis has 100 yards and we end up even or on the plus side of the turnover ratio, we win.

Turnovers, in a game this evenly matched, a turnover might as well be 7 points on the board.

Otherwise, mistakes in general. That' s where home field comes into play baby.

I hope the Cowturds have 5 false starts.

You should read Pez's Making Noise in FedEx: A how to...., that should help with the false starts. But anyways, I hope we avoid three and outs, and keep control of the ball as long as possible so we don't have to rely so much on our defense on the field during the last quarter like we've had a tendency to do for the past couple of weeks.:2cents:

I agree with everybody in this post that has replied.

Run the ball, Time of Possession, Turnover/Penalties

Interesting that we had penalties, lost the turnover battle and couldn't run the ball consistently in Dallas and still found a way to win.

With so many threads about three wideout sets and Brunell's recent struggles it is interesting that so far the ability to win a "grind it out" game seems to be the concensus.

the key is ME. i will be in attendence for the first time this year.

haha me too man. me too. but I think there are 3 very very important thing

1) establish the running game

2) no interceptions

3) GET PRESSURE ON BLEDSOE

the third one is KEY. we need to pressure this guy. bledsoe is not that great, or hasnt been the past couple years, playin on cold/poor conditions. ALSO, he eats teams up if he has a lot of time. when bledsoe gets pressured, he is a TERRIBLE quarterback. absolutely awful-a turnover machine.

so we must pressure bledsoe, and Im sure greg williams has some tricks up his sleeve to take care of that

When two teams are as equal as these two are the diciding factor is always who makes more big plays.....weather it be a turnover...a sack....a long run...a big hit..or a touchdown...or a missed field goal...when you are watching the game keep track of witch team is on the plus side of the big play catagory and that team will be the winner.....! oh and one more thing.....

Please God...! May we crush the oppression and wickedness of our enemys the cowgirls....Oh please....AMEN!

This is a very winnable game. We must play smart and be aggressive. We can;t have a lackluster moment at all on sunday. We must always be playing with intensity. I know the kind of coach parcells is. The cowboys know what they are playing for. I know the cowboys want this win. We just have to want it more. If we do that, things will work out. We must not just limit penalties and turnover, we must eliminate them. But the real key to this game is to not let the cowboys stay close. We all saw what happened when we let tampa, oakland, and san diego stay close. We must remember that what we did to dallas in week 2 can easily happen to us (like it did last year) if we let them hang around. We MUST pull away with a lead, and we must stay strong in the 4th quarter.

I look at it from the standpoint of how each team is performing. I just don't see the Redskins peaking at the right time of the season. I'm still not convinced that the last two wins are any sign that the team has turned a corner. Keep in mind that they beat a rookie QB in St Louis and against the Cardinals, they managed to turn in about the worst first half of offensive football you could possibly imagine. In the end, they still only managed one offensive touchdown and despite the fact they generated some turnovers, their secondary was absolutely shredded by the Cardinals. This in a game they knew they absolutely had to have.

On the other hand, the Cowboys played a strong game against a very good Chiefs team and made some key plays to win. Despite tough losses to the Giants and Broncos, you just get the sense from watching them that they're a team that's just starting to hit it's stride.

The Skins' inabiltiy to generate any kind of pressure on Bledsoe will ultimately be their undoing, I believe.

Believe me, I hope I'm wrong.

First and foremost, the Skins need that place deafening, and the Turds need it quiet -- so they need a big play right away. Look for both offenses to go for the quick strike TD early. Dallas wants to shut up the crowd, we want to get the crowd into a wild-frenzy.

Second -- and I hope Williams' knows this -- we need to be ultra aggressive on D. We need to blitz and swarm to the ball. We need to hit people. The more big hits, the more the crowd will get into the game. Williams' needs to get Bleedsoe on his ass, early and often.

(Basically I'm saying that the 12th man is a HUUUUGE factor in this one. Dallas needs to be overwhelmed by the crowd noise.)

Third -- we need turnovers. Turnovers are the kind of thing that a defense might struggle with at first, but once they start coming, they kind of keep coming. Like Cincy -- they were +22 or something like that in the first 8 or 9 games. We started slow, but the turnovers are coming with more frequency now. I wouldn't be surprised to see at least 2.

Skins 17 - Dallas 14

this game should end up bieing a battle of field postion, its gonna come down to who ever makes the least mistakes- i truly believe we will win this game, there is something special about this game as a skins fan and it has to be carrying over to the players! i dunno joe gibbs- late december vs the cowboys with playoffs on the line feels very old school to me

Ability to pressure Bledsoe WITHOUT the blitz. This is especially important for Big Joe and Griff on the inside.....if you collapse the pocket from the inside out, Bledsoe is Deadso......this has rendered hin useless his entire career. You get a strong push on him from the middle and I guarantee he will serve up at leat 2 crucial picks.

:dallasuck

:wewantd:

we gotta pressure bledsoe...if we give him time he will throw for 300 even in that weather. if we pressure himand force him to try to move, we could have our way with him. i say we PA go long to JACOBS (so they cant keep keying on moss) on the first series, big strike early get the place rollin...crowd noise wll also be a factor as will the run game. if we establish the run early and often (which we seem to never do against dallas) we should be able to control the tempo of the game which i think wil be a huge factor in whether or not we win this one.

prediction skins 20 dallas 13

Archived