Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The 'Skins Can Still Get in the Playoffs (Mucho Merged)

Hannibal_DK

If we don't run the table, we don't get in. Period. Anyone saying a 9-win team can make the playoffs in either conference this year is crazy.

Comma, I believe we get in with a 9-7 record. The only half way decent team the Vikes have beaten so far this year are the Giants. They'll lose to the Steelers and the Bears. They'll finish 9-7. So will the Cowboys and Falcons. Redskins are in at 9-7.

We were a dang 6 inches away from being a game back on the Giants (Eagles short on FG attempt) and a 1 1/2 ft away from chiefs making their FG against Dallas. Just goes to show this season will be a photo finish in wk 17. I think everyone is just hoping the Skins will make it but doesn't really think they will. What do you think will change this mind set? What do you think will make the fans and team more confident? Is it really the situation with the team or is it a lack of confidents from the fan support? Just feel free to add your thoughts.

:jump: :wavetowel:point2sky

The bottom line is this team won't make the playoffs if it plays like it did yesterday. If this team doesn't play better, it will go 0-3 the rest of the way.

Fortunately, the difference between yesterday and a good game is catching the darn ball and holding on to it. Lets all hope the team steps it up a notch.

Portis is running the ball well and the defense is looking good too.

I think if we win out and the Giants lose 1 other time we would win the division because we would win the tiebreakers. I'm not 100% sure on that but I think so.

I think the best and most realistic way for us to get in is by winning the division. We win out and the giants lose to the Cheifs. I can see this happening.

Hail To The Redskins!!!

I worked out a scenario for Redskins to get the number 2 seed. And it's realistic

Bears gotta lose 2 of their last three, and the Vikings have to lose at least one of their last three...along with, um, Tampa losing out the rest of their games and Carolina losing two of their last three...or something...oh, and the Skins winning their last three games while the Giants lose one of their remaining two games (in addition to their loss to the Skins)....am I right??...lol

There are several other threads on this topic. As the good book says, "SEARCH AND YOU SHALL FIND." Or something like that.

Anyways, I'm feeling good after the win, so here you go.

Here are the most likely scenarios assuming that the Redskins are playing for the last wildcard over the Cowboys, Falcons, and Vikings. Redskins currently hold the tiebreakers.

Scenario 1: Redskins win: Cowboys, Giants, @ Eagles - finish 10-6

================

Dallas would lose the H2H tiebreaker and be out of playoffs

Atlanta would need to lose 1 game - Saints, @Bears, @Bucs, Panthers

Minnesota would need to lose 1 game - Steelers, @Ravens, Bears

Scenario 2: Redskins win: Cowboys, split: Giants, @Eagles - finish 9-7

================

Dallas would need to lose 1 game - @Panthers, Rams

Atlanta would need to lose 2 games - Saints, @Bears, @Bucs, Panthers

Minnesota would need to lose 2 games - Steelers, @Ravens, Bears

Scenario 3: Redskins lose: Cowboys, win: Giants, @ Eagles - finish 9-7

================

Dallas would need to lose 2 games - @Panthers, Rams

As you can see, the most important game is the Cowboys game. If the Skins lose that, Dallas would have to lose out and the Skins would have to win out in order for the Skins to make it.

There's also still the chance that the Redskins could win the NFC East. If the Giants lose to the Chiefs and the Redskins, and the Redskins win out, the Redskins take the NFC East. Or if the Giants lose out (lol) and the Redskins go 2-1 (losing to the Eagles) and the Cowboys also lose to either the Panthers or the Rams the Skins would take the NFC East.

The keys to getting the number 2 seed..

Week 15

Redskins over Cowboys

Bears over Falcons

Chiefs over Giants

Patriots over Buccaneers

Steelers over Vikings

Panthers don’t matter

Week 16

Redskins over Giants

Packers over Bears

Cowboys over Panthers

Falcons over Buccaneers

Vikings must lose to Ravens IF they beat Steelers in Week 15

Week 17

Redskins over Eagles

Vikings over Bears

Giants must lose to Oakland IF they beat KC in Week 15

Cowboys don’t matter

Buccaneers must lose to Saints IF they beat NE in Week 15

Falcons over Panthers

Nope, cuz the Cowboys could still go 2-1 and win the NFC East under that scenario...

You're right of course. I hadn't given the thought of winning the East much thought. And it shows. XD

EDIT: Fixed it.

Right now the Redskins chances are still slim. It's tough to expect to win division games in 3 straight weeks. It helps that the most important 2 are at home, but that's still a mighty tall order.

I remember you nailed them last year. Does anyone else have the official scenarios for all possible ways we could get into the playoffs?

I think every possible scenario has been projected onto the board already. Really there would be no need to start another thread about it. Its MUCH simpler than last year as all we really need to do is beat the Cowboys, Giants, and Eagles while having the Giants lose to either the Chiefs or Raiders. If this happens then were NFC East Champs. As for the wildcard, there are MULTIPLE ways to get in as has been discussed. I probably wont devote another thread to the playoffs since theres so many already, unless I come up with something original or fresh to post.

I believe you left out the most likely scenario.

We win our last 3 and the Giants must lose 1 game.(other then us)

They play a very pissed of Chiefs team this week. I think the Chiefs win. Then we control our own destiny.

There are several other threads on this topic. As the good book says, "SEARCH AND YOU SHALL FIND." Or something like that.

Anyways, I'm feeling good after the win, so here you go.

Here are the most likely scenarios assuming that the Redskins are playing for the last wildcard over the Cowboys, Falcons, and Vikings. Redskins currently hold the tiebreakers.

Scenario 1: Redskins win: Cowboys, Giants, @ Eagles - finish 10-6

================

Dallas would lose the H2H tiebreaker and be out of playoffs

Atlanta would need to lose 1 game - Saints, @Bears, @Bucs, Panthers

Minnesota would need to lose 1 game - Steelers, @Ravens, Bears

Scenario 2: Redskins win: Cowboys, split: Giants, @Eagles - finish 9-7

================

Dallas would need to lose 1 game - @Panthers, Rams

Scenario 3: Redskins lose: Cowboys, win: Giants, @ Eagles - finish 9-7

================

Dallas would need to lose 2 games - @Panthers, Rams

As you can see, the most important game is the Cowboys game. If the Skins lose that, Dallas would have to lose out and the Skins would have to win out in order for the Skins to make it.

There's also still the chance that the Redskins could win the NFC East. If the Giants lose to the Chiefs and the Redskins, and the Redskins win out, the Redskins take the NFC East. Or if the Giants lose out (lol) and the Redskins go 2-1 (losing to the Eagles) and the Cowboys also lose to either the Panthers or the Rams the Skins would take the NFC East.

The keys to getting the number 2 seed..

Week 15

Redskins over Cowboys

Bears over Falcons

Chiefs over Giants

Patriots over Buccaneers

Steelers over Vikings

Panthers don’t matter

Week 16

Redskins over Giants

Packers over Bears

Cowboys over Panthers

Falcons over Buccaneers

Vikings must lose to Ravens IF they beat Steelers in Week 15

Week 17

Redskins over Eagles

Vikings over Bears

Giants must lose to Oakland IF they beat KC in Week 15

Cowboys don’t matter

Buccaneers must lose to Saints IF they beat NE in Week 15

Falcons over Panthers

Hey, I'm as optimistic as the next guy. But, the number two seed? Two weeks ago we were 5-6, and now we have a shot at the #2 seed?

You think the Packers are going to beat the Bears? I don't think so.

You think the Cowboys are going to beat the Panthers at home? I don't think so.

Falcons over the Bucs @ Bucs? I don't think so.

If the Vikes are good enough to beat the Steelers, they're certainly good enough to beat the Ravens. So I don't think so.

If the Giants are good enough to beat the Chiefs, they're certainly good enough to beat the Raiders. So I don't think so.

If the Bucs are good enough to beat the Patriots @ NE, they're certainly good enough to beat the Saints @ home. So I don't think so.

Seriously, the odds of all this happening are probably something like one in a thousand.

But hey, it could happen!

Packers could beat Bears nuck. Its in GB.

Cowboys are playing better than Carolina right now.

Falcons need to hit a stride.

Vikings only need to lose one of those games to pitt or baltimore not both.

Giants only have to lose one again, not both, pay attention son.

and again for the Bucks, not both of those, only one.

The Lambeau curse ended, what, two years ago? Or three?

Cowboys are better than Carolina, but not AT Carolina.

Falcons will finish 9-7.

You wrote "Giants Must lose to Oakland IF they beat KC...". So I wrote: "If the Giants are good enough to beat the Chiefs, they're certainly good enough to beat the Raiders. So I don't think so." My point is, if they have already beaten KC, the odds of them losing to Oakland is very very small (i.e. it ain't likely). Same scenario with the Bucs. I'm just going by what you said.

And your comment "...it's realistic." is questionable at best.

But I'm willing to admit it's possible!

(and, by the way, I have a daughter who's almost your age)

Archived