Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

1st Down Playcalling

cuchip703

While watching the game yesterday listening to the announcer talking about our playcalling I started keeping track of the 1st down playcalling. Today I went back and looked at the last two games of playcalling on first down. This is what I noticed.

First down Runs- 42 of 58 in the last two games

First down passes 11-16 for 139 yards and a TD. (2 drops by Royal last week)

Question is, 42 out of 58 times we ran the ball on 1st down or about 72% of the time. To me, I have to agree with the announcers on this point. Although I can't argue with the success we had running the ball yesterday, I really can't argue with the success our passing game has on first down. When facing a team with a better run defense (like San Diego and future games against the Giants and Cowboys), we need to be a little less predictable for our team to be successful. Teams can key on stopping the run on first down because for a majority of the time, that is what we do. I don't mind running the wide receiver screen but once, just once, would like to see a pump fake to that WR and the blocking WR to turn up field and for us to take a shot at him. Ball control is Gibbs forte but in Gibbs I he was a very unpredictable play caller until the 4th quarter, when he would just cram it down the defenses throat. Problem is now, he isn't keeping those defenses honest on first down, and without WR help, it has been a lot harder for us to pick up those 3rd and 8's. Thoughts?

Join the list of people, crying out, for less running on first down.

Joe Gibbs doesn't seem to be listening.

well its not gibbs' job to listen to us but sometimes i wonder why coaches don't see the obvious. actually 72% was less than i expected but i would like something more in the 60's or 50's.

its 2nd and short playcalling that's killing me. when you are 2nd and 1-3 it should open the entire playbook. you can take shots on those kinda downs. i often scratch my head when i see another run.

I'm waiting for the game when we go play action on the first offensive possession and go deep to Farris or Jacobs.. As I'm sure Mr. Moss will be covered well its a chance to expose a hole in the defense and just give things a change of pace with a good percentage change we will be successful on a play like that..

Cuchip, actually you are wrong on the 3rd and 8 thing.

Up until this week, we have only converted 25% of our 3rd and 2 situations. Where we run the ball. On 3rd and 8 we are 56%. So thats not our problem. Our problem is our passing game is good and Gibbs just doesnt want to use it.

I was frustrated with the first down play calling as well, but I have a different opinion about the issue than most people share.

Gibbs is a coach that manages the game. I believe he coaches to control the ball and takes shots down the field when he is confident that our players can make the play.

The Tampa game showed that we can make plays down field, so the next week vs. Oakland we chuck it down field most of the second half and lose the game. The charger game showed that Gibbs is comfortable with controlling the clock with runs and short pass plays. If Royal catches the ball we run the clock out against San Diego. If Portis keeps his head up and hits the hole against Tampa on the 3rd down play we get the first down and win the game. If we just methodically move the ball with short passes against Oakland we win the game by running up the clock. But the players arnt making the plays and Gibbs doesnt have the confidence in the players to try the exotic things he tried with his vetern teams of the past. The players have to show that they can execute even when the oppossing team is expecting the play. Thats what enhances playcalling,wins football games, makes football players!

Once they show execution, you will see Gibbs mix it up more on the first down play calling.

Cuchip, actually you are wrong on the 3rd and 8 thing.

Up until this week, we have only converted 25% of our 3rd and 2 situations. Where we run the ball. On 3rd and 8 we are 56%. So thats not our problem. Our problem is our passing game is good and Gibbs just doesnt want to use it.

What I was saying was that since Patten and Thrash have gone down, it has been a lot harder for us to pick up those 3rd and 8's that we were picking up at will earlier in the year. Teams are focusing on Moss now on 3rd down and I guaruntee that 56% number you quoted was much higher 3 weeks ago.

As for the first half yesterday. 10 of 13 first downs were running plays. One of the passing plays was the -1 yard WR Screen near end of half.

I'm waiting for the game when we go play action on the first offensive possession and go deep to Farris or Jacobs.. As I'm sure Mr. Moss will be covered well its a chance to expose a hole in the defense and just give things a change of pace with a good percentage change we will be successful on a play like that..

I agree with this we have to somehow get the ball downfield on 1st down off playaction. Teams know that we are running on first down, so there stacking the box , and only allowing us short gains on first down. Whiich brings us to 2nd a long which we usually run the ball again and get nowhere. I no coach Gibbs is conservative , but hes got to keep the opposing D honest on first down we have to start make the team guessing what we are going to do. It will keep them on their heels and allow us to get it to out playmakers (Portis, Moss). I believe it will open up the running game alot more against those tough D's were heading against.

"Why should he?"

because he has repeatedly stated that the fans are a #1 priority. he doesn't have to act on anything.

I'm sure we are his priority, but that doesn't mean he has to take or even listen to the uninformed advice most fans would have to offer up.

I'm good at network security, you think I'd give two shakes about what a plummer has to say about what I do?

I'm sure we are his priority, but that doesn't mean he has to take or even listen to the uninformed advice most fans would have to offer up.

Uninformed? Uninformed!!!???

Look at the results of our running on first down so often and then tell me who's "uninformed"? Anyone who watches the games sees the results.

Archived