Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Now THAT'S how you use Clinton Portis!!

Hollywood2k3

It was good to see us running more plays for CP to the outside, letting him get into space and use his natural ability to make plays. Instead of just rammin' him into the line all the time. We need to keep callin' plays like that for Clinton because he's at his best in space, then when the D over pursues to the outside he'll take it up the middle. I also think that we should throw more screen passes to him or just throw more to him period. We've gotta start letting him use all that ability he has. Today was a prime example that if you use him right, he's definately a game changer!!!

First of all, it was the rams, so you really can't use this performance as accurate measuring stick.

I saw the bucs game, but like most games, I'm so wired these things go by like a blur, I know I could have checked another post, thread nazis, but was the run blocking schemes/run play calling similiar or the same as the bucs game?

I saw the bucs game, but like most games, I'm so wired these things go by like a blur, I know I could have checked another post, thread nazis, but was the run blocking schemes/run play calling similiar or the same as the bucs game?

I didn't find the run plays all that different from the previous games, including the Bucs. To me what I saw were two very different things.

1) The O-line was on a mission to prove something and the consistant calling of the running plays allowed them to find a groove and just start dominating.

2) Gibbs didn't panic and go for the pass out of a feeling of neccesity. Running was working so well that game and it was good to see him willing to run it 8 straight times and then pass because he felt like it!

Like it or not, once again our passing game has disappeared with the loss of Thrash and Patten. If you ask me we would have done better against the Chargers had Gibbs called it just like he did today.

I didn't find the run plays all that different from the previous games, including the Bucs. To me what I saw were two very different things.

1) The O-line was on a mission to prove something and the consistant calling of the running plays allowed them to find a groove and just start dominating.

2) Gibbs didn't panic and go for the pass out of a feeling of neccesity. Running was working so well that game and it was good to see him willing to run it 8 straight times and then pass because he felt like it!

Like it or not, once again our passing game has disappeared with the loss of Thrash and Patten. If you ask me we would have done better against the Chargers had Gibbs called it just like he did today.

I agree with FBChick except for her first point. There were more plays to the outside for Portis than normal. More power sweeps, pitches change of direction etc. We ran the ball up the middle just to keep the honest in this game instead of the other way around the past few games. Getting Portis out in space is exactly how you make him effective. I don't care who it was we were playing, it was very evident the run game play calling was different.

Running to the outside with sweeps and stretch plays accomplishes more than just opportunities for Portis. It potentially opens up our playbook. By running sweeping plays to the outside, it opens up the chance to run more misdirection plays, i.e. reverses, naked bootlegs, and weakside roll out passes. It is basically a doube-edged sword for the opposing defense. If they commit 8 in the box to stop Portis, then the weakside of the formation will be exposed. The defense will have to switch to a zone cover scheme or commit 2 or 3 defenders to back-side, which means more cutback lanes for Portis. Its a win-win situation. :D

we still ran him up the middle way too much. Once we can consistently establish the outside threat and teams start compensating for that, then it might be worth forcing portis up the middle.

It was good to see getting Portis in some space. However getting him to the outside will be tough against teams with fast linebackers like Philly Dallas and NYG has

We are going to have to create space up the middle, particularly against Dallas whose 3-4 makes it tough to get outside

Running to the outside with sweeps and stretch plays accomplishes more than just opportunities for Portis. It potentially opens up our playbook. By running sweeping plays to the outside, it opens up the chance to run more misdirection plays, i.e. reverses, naked bootlegs, and weakside roll out passes. It is basically a doube-edged sword for the opposing defense. If they commit 8 in the box to stop Portis, then the weakside of the formation will be exposed. The defense will have to switch to a zone cover scheme or commit 2 or 3 defenders to back-side, which means more cutback lanes for Portis. Its a win-win situation. :D

well said, i agree!!

Archived