Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Do Colts Rest Players or try to go undefeated?

88Comrade2000

Going 16-0 is a bigger deal then winning a superbowl. A lot of teams have won the big game, only 1 team however has done the 16-0 thing. We talk about them every year and they toast themselves when the last undefeated loses a game.

You may not get a ring for it, but it's footballs most talked about record every year.

Going 16-0 is a bigger deal then winning a superbowl. A lot of teams have won the big game, only 1 team however has done the 16-0 thing. We talk about them every year and they toast themselves when the last undefeated loses a game.

You may not get a ring for it, but it's footballs most talked about record every year.

The Dolphins were 14-0 in the regular season. 1972... ;)

They'd literally be the first team to be 16-0 in the regular season, but winning the Super Bowl is a bigger deal to them at this point. I think, because of that, they'd definitely not rest players because they have a history of getting bounced in the playoffs. They need the confidence that playing will give them. I think, given their history, that being 16-0 is key to them having the confidence to go all the way.

Tony Dungy said last night that he will rest his starters if everything is wrapped up in advance. He basically said the Super Bowl is THE main goal for every team and that's what they are aiming for...not an undefeated season.

Maybe that's what he is saying now and he will change his tune in a few weeks?

As a fan, I'd be pretty upset if he didn't go for 16-0...for reasons most of you have already mentioned.... History. As Destino said, it's the most talked about record in the NFL every year...to have a chance to go undefeated is a very big deal.

...and besides, we all remember what happened a few years back when the Vikings decided to rest their players after wrapping things up quite early....upset by the Falcons in the Championship Game.

Keep the players fresh and sharp...go for the record.

i still think they will play it out for all 16 games for the record. They are really close, only 5 games out, and I think they can do it. They will probably run it even more, but I Im sure they will go for it. I certainly would. You also need to guarantee your home field advantage and first round bye.

I just can't see the Colts not taking a shot at 16-0. Right now they have to keep winning as long as Denver keeps winning to keep HFA assured, at least until the final week of the season. Once Indy clinches HFA, I can see them playing starters for maybe three quarters and then, if they have what Dungy thinks is a fairly comfortable lead, rest the starters in the fourth.

The ultimate kick in the nuts would be if the Colts run the table but then get beat in the playoffs at home by the Patriots!!

The Colts will not go undefeated; the Jaguars will beat them in two weeks.

If the Jags don't beat the Colts then think about this dilemma, what happens when both the Colts and the Seahawks have clinched playoff spots and play each other on Christmas Eve? Do both teams rest their players, or do the Seahawks try to upend the Colts by starting their 1st team? What would the Colts do in response, would they start their 1st team to go for the win?

Could be interesting.

The Colts will not go undefeated; the Jaguars will beat them in two weeks.

If the Jags don't beat the Colts then think about this dilemma, what happens when both the Colts and the Seahawks have clinched playoff spots and play each other on Christmas Eve? Do both teams rest their players, or do the Seahawks try to upend the Colts by starting their 1st team? What would the Colts do in response, would they start their 1st team to go for the win?

Could be interesting.

I don't see the Seahawks resting the starters unless a game is in the bag or out of reach. This is the breakout year, and Shaun Alexander has records to break. We've gone too many years where we've shot ourselves in the foot somehow -- it was only a few years ago we started 8-2 and closed 1-5. We can't afford to make any assumptions or take any chances. In other words, we're going to try and upend everyone we play. IMO.

I think people forget to realize that the Colts have not even won their division yet and may not for 2-3 weeks... depending on how these next two games go.

These next two games are the most important to the Colts than anything at this moment... both are division games that the Colts can not afford to lose if they want to wrap up the AFC South and then continue to strive for Home Field Advantage.

A lot of things will also depend on Denver... where they are at. The Colts are only two games up on the Bronco's for Homefield. Getting Homefield was the original goal for the Colts coming into this season... Peyton ever said before the season even started "We will have to go 15-1 to get homefield" which as the end of this season gets closer... seems right on!

Five games is still a lot of games... you see how close the NFC is... that is the way the AFC is too... last season, no one knew the two AFC wildcard spots until the last games were played. It is going to be that way for NFC and AFC teams this year. It is going to be a 5 weeks of exciting games! It is going to make teams or break them. Teams WILL flop... Teams that do not look to have it together will get it together and push to get in! It is going to be fun!! Stressful, but fun!!

I could care less about an undefeated season... but, if it ends up being that... then it was mean't to be! But, it is not my main concern for the Colts at this moment. They have a tough road. Jeff Fisher (The Titans head coach) is telling his players "Beating the Colts may not get you into the playoffs... but, it will make you remembered." Talk about MOTIVATION for a team struggling with salary cap hell and having to rebuild their entire team! I do not know how much truth it holds... but, it would motivate me!!

It is fun to see what other fans say about it... because every site forum has this same question and I see a lot more people who do not want the Colts to go undefeated... for their own reasons... some do not like Peyton? Some just do not like the Colts? Some simply think the History should be left alone. But, I have also met a lot who want to see it happen. They respect Tony. They respect the Colts. They also say they want to be able to witness history and that is their main motivation... not that they are jumping ship. Just that not everyone was alive or old enough to see the Dolphins do it. A lot of fans from other teams have come over to wish the Colts luck and have been really classy. From both AFC and NFC. It is kind of fun for a lot of people... not just the Colts fans.

But, like I said... if it happens... it happens.. if it doesnt? It wasnt meant to be! That is that! Super Bowl!! We want to get there!! BAD!! Oh yeah, and a lot of people want the Colts to go undefeated to see the Patriots knock them out of the playoffs too! It's all good!

But, again, as this stretch of five games unfolds!! Anything can happen!! Your Redskins are still in it!! Do not give up until they say you have been eliminated from the race!! Good luck!!

Some simply think the History should be left alone. But, I have also met a lot who want to see it happen. They respect Tony. They respect the Colts.

That's it for me, I really like Dungy, he's a very, very good coach with a hell of a lot of class. He doesn't need the spotlight, and rather than complain about the way things went down in Tampa, he's simply letting his actions, and genius speak for him in Indy.

However, I'm not quite sure I like the Colts schedule, even you must admit it's among the softest in the league...so I'm not really sure that I want them to go undefeated. But, I will be rooting for them to win the Super Bowl against anyone but the Redskins.

That's it for me, I really like Dungy, he's a very, very good coach with a hell of a lot of class. He doesn't need the spotlight, and rather than complain about the way things went down in Tampa, he's simply letting his actions, and genius speak for him in Indy.

However, I'm not quite sure I like the Colts schedule, even you must admit it's among the softest in the league...so I'm not really sure that I want them to go undefeated. But, I will be rooting for them to win the Super Bowl against anyone but the Redskins.

Actually, the Colts schedule is a lot harder than the Dolphins was in 1973... but, it is not the Colts fault that they are in the AFC South, have to play the AFC North and NFC West! That schedule was in place since 2002. No one knew that some of these teams would be as bad as they are!

But, I understand! Everyone has their reasons.

Archived