Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mark Brunell's favorite receiver:

EersSkins05

Brunell is finished, in my book. He's the perfect backup: He has moments of brilliance yet is not consistently good enough to lead his team to a winning record for an entire 16 game season.

While you all are praising his throw-aways I think they are one of the reasons this team appears to only have one true WR. He refuses to throw the ball into coverage and give his receivers a chance, and since the only reciever who can get consistently open is Moss, that's his main target on each downfield pass.. and if he isn't available the play is almost always over.

Also, it appears anytime there is even a hint of pressure Brunell panics and runs around like a moron. While a tougher QB not afraid of the pressure (Say his old teammate, Leftwich) would stand in there and attempt a pass.

Bottom line: Brunell is too inconsistent and fragile to be a starting QB in the NFL anymore.

Brunell is finished, in my book. He's the perfect backup: He has moments of brilliance yet is not consistently good enough to lead his team to a winning record for an entire 16 game season.

While you all are praising his throw-aways I think they are one of the reasons this team appears to only have one true WR. He refuses to throw the ball into coverage and give his receivers a chance, and since the only reciever who can get consistently open is Moss, that's his main target on each downfield pass.. and if he isn't available the play is almost always over.

Also, it appears anytime there is even a hint of pressure Brunell panics and runs around like a moron. While a tougher QB not afraid of the pressure (Say his old teammate, Leftwich) would stand in there and attempt a pass.

Bottom line: Brunell is too inconsistent and fragile to be a starting QB in the NFL anymore.

:laugh: Leftwich is out with a broken leg. I'm not laughing because he's injured, I'm laughing because of the timing of your post. What were you saying about fragile versus tougher? :laugh: We have a tough, stand strong in the pocket guy standing strong on the bench. Ramsey is as tough as they come, he just holds the ball waaaaaaay to long. Brunnel, on the other hand, has shown a knack for knowing when it's time to cut bait. (See the long would-be TD pass to Portis yesterday)

Patrick Ramsey doesn't even know that receiver is an option so I think we're still ok with MB.

PR is 4-4 as a starter under Gibbs - MB is 8-11. Last year GIbbs blamed poor personal and bad game planning along with health problems for MB weak showing. MB went 3-6 and looked terrible with that personal. PR went 3-4 with the same personal with losses to the steelers and Eagles. This year Gibbs raved about MB performance with the new additions, guess what he is 5-6. I would like to see what PR could do with this new offense. It will be the only way to know what we have in PR going forward.

:laugh: Leftwich is out with a broken leg. I'm not laughing because he's injured, I'm laughing because of the timing of your post. What were you saying about fragile versus tougher? :laugh: We have a tough, stand strong in the pocket guy standing strong on the bench. Ramsey is as tough as they come, he just holds the ball waaaaaaay to long. Brunnel, on the other hand, has shown a knack for knowing when it's time to cut bait. (See the long would-be TD pass to Portis yesterday)

Yeah, Leftwich is now out at a critical time in the Jags season. But its not hard to figure out why their record is better than ours: More consistent QB play, and I'm guessing better playcalling. Brunell's stats are quite comparable with Leftwich's, except the Jags are 8-3.

Are they really that much better of a team? I don't think so, except maybe on the d-line where Stroud and Henderson dominate.

Boggles the mind that there are still PRvsMB posts.

Here is my problem - If we miss the playoffs, this year will have been a total waste. We still don't know if PR can play, and we have given away future draft picks to draft a QB that most experts think is a project. He may be a star, but right now all we know is MB is serviceable. He will continue to dink and drunk - D cordinaters will continue to take away Moss on the outside forcing MB to challenge the middle of the field - he cannot make that throw, review the Oakland game. Both the pass to Trash at the goal line, terrible low throw, and the pass interference that should have been a pick to Jacobs down the middle is a perfect example. Ok he does not throw picks, but he also doesn't scare you either. I really believe that this offense would have been more explosive with PR. Sure he may have thrown more picks, but he would have moved the ball and Portis would have more lanes to run!

Boggles the mind that there are still PRvsMB posts.

O yeah - Just an update we are 8-11 under Brunell, 5-6 this year. I really don't care who the QB is if we make the playoffs. I can't believe you really want to see a 35y/o QB lead us to an 8/8 record and miss the playoffs. What does that do for us?

Yeah, Leftwich is now out at a critical time in the Jags season. But its not hard to figure out why their record is better than ours: More consistent QB play, and I'm guessing better playcalling. Brunell's stats are quite comparable with Leftwich's, except the Jags are 8-3.

Are they really that much better of a team? I don't think so, except maybe on the d-line where Stroud and Henderson dominate.

Probably not, except for in the 4th quarter. Nobody is worse than the skins in the 4th quarter, nobody.

Based on the other thread we have an outside chance at winning the East...I know...I'm optimistic. However, if we lose one of the next two games, I think it's time to integrate Campbell into the mix since it will give him game time experience with NFC East opponents and give us at least a serviceable backup to MB for next year and possibly a starting role if MB goes down. What du ya think?

Based on the other thread we have an outside chance at winning the East...I know...I'm optimistic. However, if we lose one of the next two games, I think it's time to integrate Campbell into the mix since it will give him game time experience with NFC East opponents and give us at least a serviceable backup to MB for next year and possibly a starting role if MB goes down. What du ya think?

until when/if we get eliminated I would go with PR - after that I would go with Jason...

O yeah - Just an update we are 8-11 under Brunell, 5-6 this year. I really don't care who the QB is if we make the playoffs. I can't believe you really want to see a 35y/o QB lead us to an 8/8 record and miss the playoffs. What does that do for us?

318, I understand your feelings. What I meant was, foremost, was that the factors that determined the decision, whether you agreed with it or not, would be the same in speculating that PR woud've done any better. To re-create the same discussion would just as logically infer that we also would've lost to Chicago and Seattle along with the losses we do have.

I've been steadfast in my view (right or wrong) since the off-season practice reports and the pre-season games that MB is the lesser of evils, not a preferred choice over guys I wish we had, and I did agree with the choice though I loved PR and desparately wanted him to be our savior in the past. Now that was before MB had his good level of play in some of the games this year. He's actually played better than I thought he would and IMO our bigger issues lie elsewhere than with CP, MB, or Moss. They are our best working parts for offense.

So what I meant about reviving such MB-PR stuff, mi amigo, was just a personal moan thinking of more exchanges like those we already lived through for what seemed like an eternity.

No, you can't put Jason Campbell in yet, because if Mark Brunell gets hurt than Patrick Ramsy knows the offense alot better than Jason Campbell does and if you quit on Ramsy than there aren't any hopes.

I have a hard time believing that our offense is that incredibly difficult to figure out.

We seem to have this repertoire of passes:

Cooley in the flat

Sellers on a seam

Moss on a curl/cross/screen (two bomb passes in dallas notwithstanding)

Portis on a bomb that he hasn't caught all year

Bomb to various #2 receivers that either can't catch it or can't get open

Passes that bounce off Robert Royal's chest

Passes to gatorade coolers

That's about it.

Archived