Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

It's (almost) Official: Playing Brunell was a Mistake

AJ_Skins

Yeah, its the coach. :doh:

Blaming Gibbs is even dumber than blaming Brunell.

have you watched the last 3 games, in each one we had a chance to put the game away but the coach has been playing too conservative, heck even his old players are saying the same thing we are playing scared, wake up :doh:

we are pathetic in the 4th, that falls on the coach

It is not the QB it is the coach, do you think Mark likes playing with having ony 2 guys out on routes :doh:

It's both. Like I said, Gibbs had a plan in the offseason with Ramsey, the new receivers, and Musgrave to open up the offense, and he scrapped it in week one.

It's both. Like I said, Gibbs had a plan in the offseason with Ramsey, the new receivers, and Musgrave to open up the offense, and he scrapped it in week one.

actually i think he opened it up more with Mark, it is different, the problem is we have no depth on this team, if Pat was back there it would be more of the same and most likely even more mistakes

i do not think Pat will be on this team next year, he is the only thing we have that is trade worthy and even with him we would be lucky to get a 2nd

for those saying it was the QB are you going to blame him for all the dam 3 and outs :doh: :doh: we are to dam predictable and when do you EVER start a game with a trick play, that has to have been the worst call ever :doh: so yes it is all on the coaches

i do not think Pat will be on this team next year, he is the only thing we have that is trade worthy and even with him we would be lucky to get a 2nd

I agree, but if and when it happens it will be a mistake. If they ditch Ramsey and Campbell doesn't pan out, forget this team. I'm done.

I agree, but if and when it happens it will be a mistake. If they ditch Ramsey and Campbell doesn't pan out, forget this team. I'm done.

sorry but Ramsey has his chances, he never took advantage of them and hasn't shown he could be a star in this league, so will never stop being a fan because of a player, if you think about are you a fan of the team or just Ramsey?

Yeah...sorry man, but I'm putting you on ignore. Feel free to do the same.

Why, because I'm calling you on your bull****? That's a great tactic, AJ. Make up arguments to support your point, then just ignore people when they call you on it. That's great, and I'm sure it will garner you a lot of respect on this board. Not that you had much left anyway...

This is where I disagree. It's our offense's inability to score enough points, to take charge of a game and put it away that has left the defense in desperate positions this year. The playcalling is a factor, as is the decision to play it safe and use Brunell. It's all bound up together.

Dude, you aren't getting it. We have lost two games where the offense did exactly what Gibbs said his goal was all along. 3 TDs. Hell, we hung 35 on the #1 defense in the league in their house and still lost. Granted, TB got some points off turnovers but offenses were getting those points last year too and the defense still never gave up 36 to anyone.

He needs to adjust. He was in the process of doing it all offseason, but then he chickened out in the first half of week one. Now once again, we're back to looking at missing the playoffs, with an aging veteran, Ramsey whose contract will be up after next year and is going to be tempting to trade, and Campbell who is extremely raw and will almost certainly not be ready to start until at least the year after next, despite the dreams of the football experts on this board.

I see the problem now. To you the word "adjust" means a change under Center. Forget the zone blocking and stretch plays for Portis. Forget the shotgun formation. Forget the now numerous 3 WR sets. The only real way to "adjust" in your world is to change the QB.

Seeing him bench Ramsey in week one really shook my faith in him, though. You don't go through your whole offseason with a plan in place and then abandon it like that. It was a very ominous sign.

Sooner or later he had to decide if Ramsey was going to get the job done. He threw an INT in every game in the preseason and then to open the game against Chicago. He was not looking off his receivers. He was making all the same mistakes Gibbs has seen him make before.

Gibbs has never believed in guys learning on the field, especially his QB. He has never treated regular season games like a classroom just so he can have a better team next year. He is about winning as many as the team can win right now and he always has been. His QBs learn on the bench, in the filmroom and on the practice field. That is how he won 3 Super Bowls in 12 years with 3 different QBs.

The reality of this season is that if the defense had not slipped this year this team would be 8-3. If we could generate a pass rush in the 4th quarter we would be 8-3. Brunell does neither of those things. Good teams win with 13 points on the board just like they win with 30+ on the board.

We did not waste anything this season. I want the coaches to field the team that gives us the best chance to win every weekend. I care about next year but not as much as I care about this year. You do not sit your best players so next years guys can learn. That is nearly dishonest to me and I cannot agree with it.

Guys dont you even listen to what AJ is saying? This was supposed to be playoffs or bust, Brunell isn't leading us there, hes older and wont be here long. Ramsey has potential and hasn't been given a fair shot, we need to see what the mans got. This honestly doesn't make sense to any of you?

Ramsey is done here and you know that. We are a playoff team, the problem is our coaches get scared in the 4th quarter. Plus teams have done pretty well in the past letting rookie QBs sit the entire year and then play.

have you watched the last 3 games, in each one we had a chance to put the game away but the coach has been playing too conservative, heck even his old players are saying the same thing we are playing scared, wake up :doh:

we are pathetic in the 4th, that falls on the coach

Yeah, because Gibbs "coached" Royal to drop critical third down passes. Gibbs "coached" Rabach to tackle the dlineman in plain view of the officials to put Hall out of his comfort range.

YOU wake up. Its NOT the coaching. Gibbs has put the team in position to win week after week, they have not executed. Gibbs can't go out there and block for Portis. Sure, maybe he abandoned the run a little early last week, but he corrects that this week and he still gets pummelled. Some people will just never be satisfied, I guess...:doh:

for those saying it was the QB are you going to blame him for all the dam 3 and outs :doh: :doh: we are to dam predictable and when do you EVER start a game with a trick play, that has to have been the worst call ever :doh: so yes it is all on the coaches

You can't blame the QB or the coach when the TE drops passes that would have gone for 1st downs. At least two of those 3 and outs would have not been 3 and outs if Royal hangs on to an easy pass.

sorry but Ramsey has his chances, he never took advantage of them and hasn't shown he could be a star in this league, so will never stop being a fan because of a player, if you think about are you a fan of the team or just Ramsey?

He didn't have his chances. He needed to be playing from day one under a real NFL coach. The reason he didn't work for Gibbs is because the ol ball coach F%#@*d him all up.

I'm not saying that we would be winning if he was playing but I do believe it was a mistake from day one picking up Brunell. Brunell is done! Stick a fork in him. Ramsey should have started last year and this year and if it didn't work they just stick in Campbell for year 3 and go with it.

The thing that sucks with Campbell is that everyone says he's a work in progress and Gibbs is one ofthe few that saw something in him. If he starts next year which I think he should I hope he's a fast leaner for gibb's sake and that of all Redskin fans.

:laugh:

Dude, give the guy a break. First of all, it wasn't a trick play, it was an end-around, which is a pretty standard play. Its something we don't usually do, and he was trying to switch it up a little bit. In one breath you criticize Gibbs for being too predictable, and in the next breath you criticize him for doing something unpredictable!! :doh:

I'm just glad you agree with me on the Brunell issue. But you're way off on the coaching issue.

Yeah, because Gibbs "coached" Royal to drop critical third down passes. Gibbs "coached" Rabach to tackle the dlineman in plain view of the officials to put Hall out of his comfort range.

YOU wake up. Its NOT the coaching. Gibbs has put the team in position to win week after week, they have not executed. Gibbs can't go out there and block for Portis. Sure, maybe he abandoned the run a little early last week, but he corrects that this week and he still gets pummelled. Some people will just never be satisfied, I guess...:doh:

jrock how many points have we scored the last 2 games in the 4th???

it is the coaching we have had what 6 3 in outs in the 4th quarter the last two games, it is the coaching you need to wake up and listen for a change

the reason for the lack of points is the playcalling which is done by guess what, the coaching

Dude, you aren't getting it. We have lost two games where the offense did exactly what Gibbs said his goal was all along. 3 TDs. Hell, we hung 35 on the #1 defense in the league in their house and still lost. Granted, TB got some points off turnovers but offenses were getting those points last year too and the defense still never gave up 36 to anyone.

I see the problem now. To you the word "adjust" means a change under Center. Forget the zone blocking and stretch plays for Portis. Forget the shotgun formation. Forget the now numerous 3 WR sets. The only real way to "adjust" in your world is to change the QB.

Sooner or later he had to decide if Ramsey was going to get the job done. He threw an INT in every game in the preseason and then to open the game against Chicago. He was not looking off his receivers. He was making all the same mistakes Gibbs has seen him make before.

Gibbs has never believed in guys learning on the field, especially his QB. He has never treated regular season games like a classroom just so he can have a better team next year. He is about winning as many as the team can win right now and he always has been. His QBs learn on the bench, in the filmroom and on the practice field. That is how he won 3 Super Bowls in 12 years with 3 different QBs.

The reality of this season is that if the defense had not slipped this year this team would be 8-3. If we could generate a pass rush in the 4th quarter we would be 8-3. Brunell does neither of those things. Good teams win with 13 points on the board just like they win with 30+ on the board.

We did not waste anything this season. I want the coaches to field the team that gives us the best chance to win every weekend. I care about next year but not as much as I care about this year. You do not sit your best players so next years guys can learn. That is nearly dishonest to me and I cannot agree with it.

:notworthy :notworthy: :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy: :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy: :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy: :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy: :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy: :notworthy

:laugh:

Dude, give the guy a break. First of all, it wasn't a trick play, it was an end-around, which is a pretty standard play. Its something we don't usually do, and he was trying to switch it up a little bit. In one breath you criticize Gibbs for being too predictable, and in the next breath you criticize him for doing something unpredictable!! :doh:

I'm just glad you agree with me on the Brunell issue. But you're way off on the coaching issue.

you first want to run some plays to set up the end-around, never do you want to start with it, to me it was an act of desperation because our offense is to dam prectible right now, which goes back on the coaching we are playing to not lose, not to win there is a difference

each of the last couple of games we had the opportunity to put games away and we didn't, we continue to let teams stay in the games, all we had to do today after going up 17-7 was get on lousy fg, look back at the drives after that one they were all bascilly 3 and outs, because SD knew what were we doing

it is the coaching we have had what 6 3 in outs in the 4th quarter the last two games, it is the coaching you need to wake up and listen for a change

So you think Gibbs coached Royal into dropping those easy passes?

If Royal catches those, boom -- first down and another 40+ seconds off the clock. 3 more downs. Its all about running time off the clock in Gibbs' system. He doesn't want to go 3 and out, and shouldn't; what can he do if people are dropping passes?

How can you honestly blame that on Gibbs????

once again, brunnel isnt the problem. you wanna no some of the problems? try everyone on the o-line. today it was packed up to increase the pass protection for him. also the holding calls and false starts in the end of the chargers game RUINED the chance of winning we had by kicking a field goal. basicly the O-Line screwed us over today. but on a postive note it looks like the lines gotten increasingly better. u kno what else was a problem today? try #88 robert royal...can he please catch a wide open pass...holy****. :rubeyes:

I'm very close to being through with watching this team shoot itself in the foot.

Desmond Howard.

Norv Turner.

Heath Schuler.

Michael Westbrook.

Gus Frerotte.

Deion Sanders.

Bruce Smith.

Jeff George.

Getting rid of:

Stan Humphries.

Art Monk.

Brad Johnson.

Stephen Davis.

Antonio Pierce.

Firing Schottenheimer.

Hiring Spurrier.

Signing Brunell.

Drafting Campbell.

All part of the same pattern to me.

More than likely, I'll just become a casual football fan, watch whatever big game is on that week, and root for whatever winning team I like best at the time. I've been rooting for the Pats in the postseason for the past several years. Maybe this year it'll be the Colts.

So you think Gibbs coached Royal into dropping those easy passes?

If Royal catches those, boom -- first down and another 40+ seconds off the clock. 3 more downs. Its all about running time off the clock in Gibbs' system. He doesn't want to go 3 and out, and shouldn't; what can he do if people are dropping passes?

How can you honestly blame that on Gibbs????

Who's responsible for sending the players out on the field. 2 drops should have been enough :doh:

you first want to run some plays to set up the end-around, never do you want to start with it, to me it was an act of desperation because our offense is to dam prectible right now, which goes back on the coaching we are playing to not lose, not to win there is a difference

each of the last couple of games we had the opportunity to put games away and we didn't, we continue to let teams stay in the games, all we had to do today after going up 17-7 was get on lousy fg, look back at the drives after that one they were all bascilly 3 and outs, because SD knew what were we doing

Dude...you still don't get it. ROYAL DROPPED SOME EASY PASSES THAT WOULD HAVE BEEN FIRST DOWNS. Seriously, please tell me how that is Gibbs' fault??

Oh, and we have run plays to set up the end-around -- we'd played 10 games before this one, remember? :doh:

Dude...you still don't get it. ROYAL DROPPED SOME EASY PASSES THAT WOULD HAVE BEEN FIRST DOWNS. Seriously, please tell me how that is Gibbs' fault??

Oh, and we have run plays to set up the end-around -- we'd played 10 games before this one, remember? :doh:

and who allows Royal to go back in the game and says he is fighting his guts out, hmm could it be the coach :doh:

you need to learn to listen before you start screaming

Archived