Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

It's (almost) Official: Playing Brunell was a Mistake

AJ_Skins

The justification for yanking Ramsey and putting in Brunell was "win now". If the team doesn't make the playoffs, which looks increasingly likely, somebody tell me how playing Brunell was the right move. I know you can do it. Think hard.

I can't see it, but I'm the stupid, hard-headed one here. My football knowledge pales in comparison to the average poster on this board.

To me, it looks like we just wasted an entire season finding out what everybody who knows anything about football already knows: An old QB will not get you where you want to go.

An old QB will not do the things that get younger players benched. They usually make fewer mistakes and bad decisions (although Brunell has had his share). The downside is that their performace gets worse, not better the more they play. They wear down over the course of the year, and start to struggle at the time when the team needs to make a move. Playing Brunell was safe, in that he usually won't single-handedly lose you the game. He's also safe for the other team, because he won't single-handedly win you any. Boring, safe and lackluster would be OK if it somehow got you to the playoffs, but it's starting to look pretty clear that that ain't happening.

If we miss the playoffs, get rid of Ramsey in the offseason, and Campbell doesn't cut it, what then? I know I've been harping on this all season, but it's because I KNEW this is where we were going to end up. Except for the emergence of Santana Moss, the season was a total waste. If we had played Ramsey for 8 or 9 games and he bombed out, fine. At least we would have known where we stand, and we would have taken a shot. Instead, we're stuck with another losing year, and poised at a crossroads at the QB position that could lead to a disaster if the coaches are/were wrong about Ramsey and/or Campbell. They were already wrong about Brunell, which doesn't bode well.

Can we all just admit now that if we miss the playoffs, playing Brunell was a mistake, or is there still some kind of homeristic rationalization lurking out there?

You didn't KNOW this team would end up at 5-6 by barely losing a handful of games because of random mistakes. Please don't come back now and say you knew this was going to happen all along and Brunell was a bad idea. You sound like a fool.

What I knew is that Brunell was not going to get it done over the course of a full year, which he hasn't. What I knew is that the offense would not be at its full potential, which it hasn't been. What I knew is if we didn't find out what Ramsey could do, we'd be faced with having to make a decision on him without knowing with any confidence it was the right one. The question I asked, and you avoided, is how it could still be said playing Brunell instead of giving Ramsey his chance was the right move if the team doesn't make the playoffs. I have a feeling nobody's even going to try. Just going to run away and hide and pretend they weren't on here like a bunch of mentally challenged Soviet prison guards defending a decision that hurt us in a lot of ways, this season and in the future.

A lot of people knew Brunell was a bad decision. We knew it throughout last year and only a few rational and sentient beings remained steadfast in their knowledge that Brunell is washed up. He doesn't have zip on his passes, he is skiddish in the pocket, and for some stupid f--ing reason he remains willing to throw the ball to Robert Royal while ignoring any WR not named Moss.

Guest GibbSkins11
The justification for yanking Ramsey and putting in Brunell was "win now". If the team doesn't make the playoffs, which looks increasingly likely, somebody tell me how playing Brunell was the right move. I know you can do it. Think hard.

I can't see it, but I'm the stupid, hard-headed one here. My football knowledge pales in comparison to the average poster on this board.

To me, it looks like we just wasted an entire season finding out what everybody who knows anything about football already knows: An old QB will not get you where you want to go.

An old QB will not do the things that get younger players benched. They usually make fewer mistakes and bad decisions (although Brunell has had his share). The downside is that their performace gets worse, not better the more they play. They wear down over the course of the year, and start to struggle at the time when the team needs to make a move. Playing Brunell was safe, in that he usually won't single-handedly lose you the game. He's also safe for the other team, because he won't single-handedly win you any. Boring, safe and lackluster would be OK if it somehow got you to the playoffs, but it's starting to look pretty clear that that ain't happening.

If we miss the playoffs, get rid of Ramsey in the offseason, and Campbell doesn't cut it, what then? I know I've been harping on this all season, but it's because I KNEW this is where we were going to end up. Except for the emergence of Santana Moss, the season was a total waste. If we had played Ramsey for 8 or 9 games and he bombed out, fine. At least we would have known where we stand, and we would have taken a shot. Instead, we're stuck with another losing year, and poised at a crossroads at the QB position that could lead to a disaster if the coaches are/were wrong about Ramsey and/or Campbell. They were already wrong about Brunell, which doesn't bode well.

Can we all just admit now that if we miss the playoffs, playing Brunell was a mistake, or is there still some kind of homeristic rationalization lurking out there?

its not a mistake brunell is the best qb we have had since johnson in 99 we have to play the best qb , hes played great , u cant call starting the best player a mistake

The man has a point. If we're not a playoff team (we're clearly not) then we're wasting time NOT finding out if Ramsey or Campbell can get it done for us. I hope we start seeing Campbell in the last 4 games of the season (I can only assume we'll trot Brunell out again next week to get thumped by the Rams) otherwise who the hell knows what we've got.

Pal, I really don't want to put it like this and I probably would never say something like this to somebody's face so I really shouldn't even write it. But.. it's exactly what I'm thinking and basically the truth. Your entire rational is moronic making you a moron.;

Mark Brunell has played better than 80% of the QB's in the league this year, name 6 QB's who has done more with their team and I'll be impressed. To balame anything on Brunell is assinine and you should apologize for simply being so ignorant.

The man gave us a glimmer of hope and a reason to cheer this year. Ramsey won't make it in this league (IMO) but defintely wiould never succeed with this team. And Campbell gives us something to cheer about in the future.

Since this is a chest-beating thread (I don't mean that as a dis) I'd point out that I called the Brunell success a 'mirage' more than once and that even those who praised him wondered how long he could continue at that pace or if he'd even play the whole season.

While he improved from his play last year, he often makes baffling decisions. ON 4th down in consecutive weeks, the ball did not leave his hand. That should not happen when you HAVE To make a play to tie or win the game on FOURTH down. Instead he gets run down or sacked. He still backpedals INTO the pass rush, he still throws the ball away more than any QB out there, he still seems to be inadequate from the pocket at times. HE still gets afraid of the rush.

AJ was right, though. This hamstrings our ability to be confident in the decision re: QB this offseason. IF Ramsey had tanked after 9 games, then you could put in Mark to steer the ship or Campbell to develop. Now we've wasted YET ANOTHER season on Brunell, and though he hasn't been the sole negative contributing factor, he has CLEARLY faded, as has the offense.

its not a mistake brunell is the best qb we have had since johnson in 99 we have to play the best qb , hes played great , u cant call starting the best player a mistake

Brunnell is just wwwwwwaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyy over paid. Nothing more...Nothing less. Would love him for a back up at a reasonable price though.

The fact is, if you make a QB change it MUST be Ramsey. Otherwise we are stuck spiraling down the drain with Brunell. Starting a rookie who has not had any real game experience will be the final blow to this team's already fragile psyche. However, Ramsey was the starter, and players had confidence in him in the offseason and preseason before the coaches decided to pull him. At 5-6, it is now or never, and if I were Gibbs I would take Brunell aside, thank him for his service to the team, and start Ramsey and open up the playbook. Attack or die. I'm tired of seeing Brunell fade every game...

Pal, I really don't want to put it like this and I probably would never say something like this to somebody's face so I really shouldn't even write it. But.. it's exactly what I'm thinking and basically the truth. Your entire rational is moronic making you a moron.;

Mark Brunell has played better than 80% of the QB's in the league this year, name 6 QB's who has done more with their team and I'll be impressed. To balame anything on Brunell is assinine and you should apologize for simply being so ignorant.

The man gave us a glimmer of hope and a reason to cheer this year. Ramsey won't make it in this league (IMO) but defintely wiould never succeed with this team. And Campbell gives us something to cheer about in the future.

I'll ignore the irony of being called a moron by somebody who lacks a basic understanding of grammar. I think maybe my point is too subtle and elusive for the brilliant football minds on here.

I'll post it one more time: if Brunell doesn't get us to the playoffs, how was playing him instead of giving Ramsey a chance the right move? In what way is the team better off in the short term or the long term for having played Brunell, if he doesn't get us to the playoffs?

I guess since you decided to call me a moron, I'll return the favor:

People like YOU are the ANCHOR around this team's NECK.

Our defence has allowed 10 point leads to evaporate late in the past 2 games.

Lets blame Brunell dispite his impressve QB rating. Forget blaming defence, lack of running game, penlties, dropped balls, etc.

There is like 20million threads just like this. Instead of starting a new one, how bout responding to another?

Brunell started the year out with a bang with the comeback victory against Dallas and has proven that he is still a capable qb in this league. However, as the season progresses, his limitations continue to be exposed.

The bottom line is that this team is 4-6 with Brunell as its starting qb this season and at this point, it seems unlikely that we will be a postseason football team. His performance probably peaked with the 49ers game and as others have mentioned, has faded as the season prolonged.

Over the next few years, if this team is to become a playoff contender, Mark Brunell will probably not be the guy leading that charge. At this point, we either have to see what we have in Campbell or provide Ramsey with an opportunity to see if he has what it takes.

You didn't KNOW this team would end up at 5-6 by barely losing a handful of games because of random mistakes. Please don't come back now and say you knew this was going to happen all along and Brunell was a bad idea. You sound like a fool.

You haven't been around long enough -- AJ's head is harder than adamantium. Two things will survive nuclear annhilation -- ****roaches and AJ's skull.

Brunell did nothing wrong this game. In fact, I think his rating was 110+. How can you pin anything on Brunell? If you want to blame someone on offense, blame Robert Royal and his 14,895 dropped passes this game, 14,894 of which were on critical third downs. Blame the refs who basically moved the ball down the field for the Chargers on their game-tying drive. Or blame the refs for not calling ONE OFFENSIVE HOLDING PENALTY ALL GAME against San Diego. But don't blame Brunell, because he played well.

And holy crap, stop talking about Ramsey already! Jesus H. Christ, man! You have officially earned the nickname "broken record."

This line of thought is indeed moronic.

Tell me at the beginning of this year what you would want? To PLAY THE BETTER QB and GET THE MOST POSSIBLE WINS, or rebuild or go with a weaker qb just because he's younger??

BRUNELL IS THE BEST QB ON OUR TEAM RIGHT NOW AND HE WAS THE BEST CHANCE AT THE PLAYOFFS. PERIOD.

If you want to argue that we shouldn't have done ALL THAT WE POSSIBLY COULD to make the playoffs this year and just worked on building for the future then that is a different story, and I would totally disagree with that line of thought too.

Our defence has allowed 10 point leads to evaporate late in the past 2 games.

Lets blame Brunell dispite his impressve QB rating. Forget blaming defence, lack of running game, penlties, dropped balls, etc.

There is like 20million threads just like this. Instead of starting a new one, how bout responding to another?

Our defense has lost ten point leads because of offense is unable or unwilling to take chances to move the chains. This falls on the QB and the Head Coach. Also, only a blind man would deny that although Brunell is not the Brunell of a year ago, there are signs that he is starting to fade. The last few games have shown him declining in the 2nd half, not being as effective in the 2nd half. This can be contributed to one thing: Stamina. Is it any suprise an old veteran does not have the stamina to last 16 full regular season games? Many people predicted Brunell wouldn't last, but they thought it would be his own physical conditioning that would cause injury, not just cause him to slowly fade into an ineffective QB.

It really puts Gibbs in a quandry either way. If he wanted to open it up, does Brunell have the legs to play to that opened up offense in the first place? I doubt it, considering he doesn't seem to have the legs to play well even with the aid of a conservative, running, offensive gamegameplan.

Chubakah with yet another stellar entry. I don't like being lumped in with footballhenry though, he was stubbornly on this point long after I had let go.

But to me, it's not just about Brunell in terms of performance. It's about what he represents and what he does as a QB and leader. I think Gibbs=Brunell at least how they've manifested themselves on the field. If Brunell played for another team, I could see him still being a good option for them. I think, unfortunately, that he and Gibbs have an unholy synergy between them.

redskins81--we keep hearing this nonsense from people like you, but it doesn't make it any more true.

I would say two things. First, Brunell's play recently is not what it was when he came out guns blazing at the start of the year. Secondly, I've seen enough game-changing fumbles to know that there is plenty to be blamed on Brunell, no matter how well he might throw the ball now and then. He drops back right into the pass rush instead of stepping up in the pocket.

Archived