Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Should We BOO Schotty?

edgun88

The biggest thing that hurt him was the one thing he deferred to Snyder on: Jeff George. When he realized he had to cut him, the team started from scratch, and ended up 8-3 with Banks. All he needed to do was sign Drew Bledsoe that next offseason when the Patriots let him go, and the team would have been a serious contender in his second year. It had much better talent, especially on defense, than the team he has now in San Diego. Instead we got Spurrier.

i just might clap quietly if they do say his name, its not like i will take my jersey off and swing it around my head while blowing a blow horn but he doesn't deserved to be booed. He had a winning record, snyder was immature at the time making rash decisions with norv and shotty and then the good ol' steve and some would even call bringing back gibbs as a want to win rash decision but i think gibbs has calmed the man down a bit and he does seem to be maturing. I can't help but think the football gods will help marty sunday.

I don't see the point. I also didn't see the point of booing Norval last week. As much of a pathetic head coach he was, I don't harbor any ill will toward him. I also still like Spurrier. I think the mature thing to do is NOT to boo and cheer your current coach and team instead.

It would be shameful to boo Marty. He got a total raw deal and was doing a great job with the team after leading us to an 8-3 record in the 2nd half of the season with TONY BANKS at quarterback. There is no doubt in my mind that we would have made the playoffs at least two seasons if Marty were still the coach. By far the worst move Snyder ever made.

Hell no the Fed Ex Crowd should not boo Marty!

He got a raw deal in Washington! Yes we started 0-5 and got killed in the first 4 games but we righted the ship and finished at 8-8. The bottom like is if Spurrier did not leave Florida Marty would have been back in 02!

:soapbox:

i've always liked Marty.i know i like Marty alot more than i like Dan Snyder.Marty had this team on track after only one season.that is truly worthy!then Mr.Snyder gets the boneheaded idea to get rid of him(a seasoned veteran coach with a rather impressive career record)and hire Spurrior.welcome to the NFL Mr.Snyder.that college stuff doesn't work here so don't even think about trying to implement an option offense or a wishbone come next year.Snyder obviously knows how to run a business and make money but switching from Turner-Schotty-Spurrior-Gibbs in that order was so foolish i'd like to slap him one.Marty came in and literally changed what,50% of the team in the first year alone to get players that fit his power football schemes.then a year later we get Spurrior who gets rid of all the power players who don't fit his college finesse schemes,resulting in a very thorough and complete dismantling of the team Turner left behind a mere year earlier.then in comes Gibbs,thank goodness,who is a power football coach and major wholesale changes begin again.what's it going to be?power or finesse?gotta figure that out once and for all.myself,i prefer power because it is undeniable when properly executed.Snyder also needs to figure out that coaches need more than one or 2 years to get a complete team they believe in.boo Marty?never.Snyder?hmmmmm......

BTW ....this Dallas loss puts us 1 game behind them, and if the Giants lose this week vs. Seattle, we'll be 1 1/2 games behind them. Dallas and New York play next week and if Dallas wins we will be 1/2 game behind for 1st place! We just need to win these next few weeks!!

Actually... This dallas loss puts us 1 1/2 games behind them, IF we win on sunday that would put us 1 game behind dallas, same with the giants, if we win and they lose we are one behind them as well. Then the next week IF we win we will be tied with either dallas or ny and one game back of the other, depending on who wins that game.

i would like to thank the redskins personally fom the bottom of my heart for firing marty. hes brought excitement back to san diego. and dont you skins fans think hes forgotten about being fired either. DA BOLTS are going to light the skins up this week. you have absolutely no answere for our offense, and you offense is average at best. portis is good but our d will shut him down like the rest. moss is your best chance, but he cant win it alone. your qb is gonna get killed by our young guns (merriman, castillo, phillips). what answeres do you guys have for this team. please fill me in because i just am not seeing how you can pull this one out.

I won't, but I can understand the desire to. I mean, who on earth would want to cut Darrell Green!?!?

who cut darrell green????

anyways, imo, firing marty was the biggest mistake that snyder has made this side of deion sanders.

he got us in a good cap situation and took a team that was "rebuilding" and won 8 of 11 games. we went to denver and beat them in the snow w/ tony banks for pete's sake! if spurrier didn't decide to use my beloved franchise as his guinea pig, marty would have won us a division title.

i agree with the poster who said he should get an ovation if anything. and then a butt-whoopin'. :D

I liked Marty, it took him 5 games to relate to his players and then the Skins played decently.

We were 0-5 and ended up 8-8 not bad......the previous HC of the Redskins started a dynasty after he did that in his first year here (Joe Gibbs).

And I do think that the Skins would have been a playoff team had Marty not been fired for the Ol Ball Coach.

Plus, remember what Marty won with:

Marty fired Jeff George (yay!!) and won games with TONY BANKS (Yes the TONY BANKS) and Kent Graham......he brought Ki-Jana Carter from a security job and play well (after being considered a BUST) same with Gardner (the DT not 50/50). Rod Gardner a rookie had his best year with him.

Also Eric Metcalf was brought in out of retirement.

I mean 8-8 was pretty impressive. I'm not booing Marty.....I still hope the Skins will beat his team on Sunday however.

The biggest thing that hurt him was the one thing he deferred to Snyder on: Jeff George. When he realized he had to cut him, the team started from scratch, and ended up 8-3 with Banks. All he needed to do was sign Drew Bledsoe that next offseason when the Patriots let him go, and the team would have been a serious contender in his second year. It had much better talent, especially on defense, than the team he has now in San Diego. Instead we got Spurrier.

- Marty had complete control of the team and personel decsions and insisted that he could turn Jeff George into a west coast QB. Instead it took him until the 3rd week of the season to realize George was not a west coast QB, so he cut him, leaving us with a QB that had only a few weeks experience in our system and accelerating all of Jeff George's bonus money. - He then realized that Banks strength was throwing the ball down field, and not dink and dunk. - well gee, That's something Jeff George was pretty good at too.

- Marty does not like veteran players on the team when he arrives, because he is afraid of being alienated by the other players because of them and they will interfere with his tatics, so he gets rid of them. - He was working on getting rid of Bruce Smith and Darrell Green, and Deon retired because of him (I know people don't like him, but we had to pay him anyway). - He then went out and signed Donavan Greer to replace Darrell Green, only Greer got hurt. - He did the same thing in San Diego with Junior Seau and Rodney Harrison.

- After winning a few games with Tony Banks, Marty attempted to sign Tony Banks to a long term deal, for some reason Tony Banks wanted to wait. - Getting Drew Bledsoe was the fans wish. (How many draft picks did that cost the Bills?)

- As mentioned he made some bone-head moves, like cutting Centers for wearing a hat, getting rid of Thrash, letting Sellers walk, but he also made some good moves as mentioned in taking a chance on Kijana Carter, and getting Dave Szott and Metalf out of retirement.

- Marty also refused to get a new Offensive Coordinator, which was one of the stipulations San Diego had before they hired him. Marty took over an 8-8 team in San Diego and made them 3-13 in 2 seasons. He didn't start winning until he changed his offensive system. (One of the things Snyder wanted him to do here)

I guess no one remembers the several days of meeting that Snyder and Marty were in at the end of the season. Snyder was trying to keep Marty, but wanted him to relinquish his GM duties and hire a GM. Marty seemed like he didn't want to swallow his pride. Marty was fired and has not been a GM since.

I know people like to blame Snyder for everything, but Marty is not completely innocent. - Of course the press likes to just sum it up in the one sentence "Marty got fired after only one year" but Marty was not cut out to be a GM. He's a good coach, though.

I hope Marty does well, but of course just not this week.

...BTW, Darryl Gardner the DT was a Cerrato find the year Marvin Lewis was here.

Sure - I'll boo him and his team. They're the enemy tomorrow.

Sunday, not tomorrow, but you have an excellent point.

Show some class....take the high road and cheer him.

:laugh:

Are you serious?

He's with the Chargers now, not the Skins.

Meaning regardless of how I may like him as a coach the other 364 days a year, on Sunday, he's the enemy. He will NOT be cheered.

I'll appreciate him taking a 0-5 team to 8-8 next Monday.

On Sunday, he will try to give the Redskins another loss and possibly take us out of Playoff contention and you want me to cheer him?

Have you lost your mind!?

Redskins come before Schotty buddy.

He's going to try to lead his Chargers to victory. I don't like that. So...what am I supposed to do? Just sit there and twiddle my thumbs? No. I'm going to show my displeasure.

Archived