Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ramsey isn't going anywhere

ChiefBigMeat

Simple scenario...

Week 6, 2006: Redskins are 4-1 and trailing by 4 when Brunell goes down with a torn ACL. (Nightmare, but these things happen)

The question is, which would you rather have at that time?

1. A second year QB with no game experience outside playing against 3rd stringers in preseason & a 3rd round rookie(from Ramsey trade)

-OR-

2. A 5th year QB with starting experience, talent and knowledge of the system

Ramsey's value on the trading block is nothing compared to his value to the team. He is also under contract for next season with an extremely cap friendly salary. I love our QB situation right now. Just look at what happened to the Eagles and the Jets this season. A capable backup QB is a rare commodiity in the NFL these days. If we were to lose Ramsey to FA after next season, Campbell may be ready, but he will be unproven and we would just have to bring in another vet who isn't going to be as anywhere near as valuable as what we have in Ramsey. Bottom line is that no matter the situation, we are better off keeping Ramsey. I just can't see why any team would take a 3rd round pick(seems general board speculation) for a starting quality QB that already knows your offensive system. As far as I'm concerned, the rest of the league can keep their draft picks, and we can hold onto Ramsey. :helmet: :2cents:

Give me Jason Campbell. Campbell imo has much more poise and talent than Ramsey. I can see Ramsey coming in and throwing three interceptions to lose the game

But he would also throw 400 yards to win it. Ramsey problem is the short pass if he can develop that he will go far in this league it would be a bummer for him to go somewhere and come back to beat us or win a superbowl somwhere else

1. A second year QB with no game experience outside playing against 3rd stringers in preseason & a 3rd round rookie(from Ramsey trade)

-OR-

2. A 5th year QB with starting experience, talent and knowledge of the system :2cents: Myself,i would rather have somebody i could believe would not repeatedly turn the ball over whether they had only high school exp. or if they had created the system themselves.that said,i think the real question is what would Mr.Gibbs rather have that determines Ramseys value to the Skins and if he'll be with us much longer.since JG has been here he has aquired a free agent veteran(Brunell) and he has drafted a kid(Campbell).the way Ramsey finished last year for us i thought was great.it was that finish that gave me hope for this year.but after seeing his work as our starter this year i must say my opinion of him had lessened.i think JG's opinion of him has done the same.i spose we will have to see just what the coaching staff does in the off season to really get a better feel for how they feel about keeping him.i imagine they will keep him for the exp. and the knowledge of the system he has at least through next year but i don't see him being here very long after JC gets a few snaps in real action.Gibbs has never been a fan of turnovers and most of Brunell's have been fumbles,which in most cases,have not been his fault considering the blocking failed.an INT however is the direct fault of the QB almost all of the time.Ramsey throws alot of INT's.that's why Brunell is our QB and Ramsey isn't.that's also why Ramsey's value around the league is what it is.i personally would like to see Ramsey dealt for the 3rd rounder and see us draft an O-lineman with it.with a deep O-line most anybody can play QB effectively and without one even the best can't do it.

ramsey would be better if he didnt hold on to the ball so long... I know he is lookin for big plays, but he needs to notice that they arent always there. He throws ints because he waits till he is under a lot of pressure then chucks it out there. Fix that and he could be great.

If Campbell isn't ready to at least be a 2nd string QB next year, he was a waste of a draft pick.

Ramsey needs to be traded next year to help fill other needs for the team. We need to revamp the defensive line. Depth at Corner. Possibly a MLB. And if Jacobs doesn't work out as the #2 WR, we need to think about that as well.

Matt Schaub is the best Backup QB in the NFL Ramsey is 2nd

I think I'd stick McMahon in there somewhere, if just that he used to be a starter.

I agree that there is no guarantee that Ramsey leaves, but at the same time, there isn't anything saying that the skins couldn't sign a veteran of some sort next year to back up Brunell. I'm pretty sure that once Ramsey hits the FA market, if he's not the starter, he'll be gone.

The nice thing about the situation is that the Skins don't HAVE to trade Ramsey, which puts the skins in a strong position if they do end up trading him.

Jason

Sounds like a copout, but I like the QB that the coaching staff decides on since they get to evaluate these guys every day.

Our QB situation is entirely in our own hands. We will only lose PR if we decide to trade him, so if he leaves the organization this off-season, I can only imagine it means Gibbs has total confidence in Campbell or whoever we might pick up to backup Brunell.

Ramsey is good. But he holds the ball too long and he's unpredictable. He can either win games for you or lose game for you. I don't see the logic in Gibbs and Bugel drafting a QB in the first round just to keep him as a third stringer or even a back up. Ramsey had a chance to play his rookie season. Campbell's likelihood of playing under center isn't that great in his rookie season. He's gaining valuable knowledge of the offense of observing it and studying the playbook.

Campbell is proned to be the starter eventually. But that depends on when Brunell retires or when Ramsey is no longer here.

Simple scenario...

Week 6, 2006: Redskins are 4-1 and trailing by 4 when Brunell goes down with a torn ACL. (Nightmare, but these things happen)

-OR-

2. A 5th year QB with starting experience, talent and knowledge of the system

Ramsey's value on the trading block is nothing compared to his value to the team. He is also under contract for next season with an extremely cap friendly salary. I love our QB situation right now. Just look at what happened to the Eagles and the Jets this season. A capable backup QB is a rare commodiity in the NFL these days. If we were to lose Ramsey to FA after next season, Campbell may be ready, but he will be unproven and we would just have to bring in another vet who isn't going to be as anywhere near as valuable as what we have in Ramsey. Bottom line is that no matter the situation, we are better off keeping Ramsey. I just can't see why any team would take a 3rd round pick(seems general board speculation) for a starting quality QB that already knows your offensive system. As far as I'm concerned, the rest of the league can keep their draft picks, and we can hold onto Ramsey. :helmet: :2cents:

Your probably right to say that Ramsay would be the better option, but he ain't stayin. If we don't trade him, he will demand to be traded. He's gotten a pretty raw deal while with us, and can't see him wanting to stick around much longer.

Archived