Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Compensatory Draft Pick for Smoot?

autographcollector

Who determines the round of the pick? Judging a lost free agents impact sounds pretty objective, like eye of the beholder kind of thing. Smoot isn't playing good right now, but it doesn't mean he's not capable of having an imapct. I personlly think these compensatory picks are a scam....just handing out 3rd and 4th round picks when you have to go through trouble just to trade for them.

From Redskins.com:

The number of picks a team receives and the rounds they come in are based on a formula that takes into account salary, playing time and postseason honors by players they lost. The maximum any one team can get is four picks.

http://www.redskins.com/news/draftCentralDetail.jsp?id=6231

Pierce and Smoot were signed to big contracts. Pierce could very well make the probowl. Both those players play all game, every game, while Patten only played half a season (in the #2 slot, as opposed to Smoot's #1 depth chart position) and Rabach appears to be our only free agent pickup that will start the entire season (knock on wood).

We WILL get compensatory picks. I expect a 4th rounder (or really like the first pick of the 5th round), at the very least.

Here's a list of last year's 'winners,' and a brief summary, from nfl.com: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/8314832

I do think though that if Smoot and Pierce were still here we would be 7-2, with a top 3 defense again
Wow your stupid, Marshall has better stats then Peirce , and smoot has been getting burnt in Minnesota By every WR he goes up aginst, he only played good last year because it was the last year in his contract and he wanted alot of money...

Wow your stupid, Marshall has better stats then Peirce , and smoot has been getting burnt in Minnesota By every WR he goes up aginst, he only played good last year because it was the last year in his contract and he wanted alot of money...

Wow. So you're saying that because Bledose has more yards than Peyton Manning, and only a couple less touchdowns, he is better than him?

Stats do NOT determine skill levels. It is obvious that Manning is significantly better than Bledose, but one could argue that Bledsoe "has better stats." That argument only portrays an ignorant football fan.

And Antonio Pierce has more than 20 more tackles than Marshall anyway - get your facts straight. (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/statistics?stat=def&sort=tack&league=nfc&season=2&year=2005)

And do you really believe that Smoot only played well last year because he wanted a lot of money? Do you honestly believe, in your heart of hearts, that Smoot actually doesn't try at all now that he has his contract? So he just magically decided to be good for one season, and then decided that he wanted to suck and miss out on tons of bonus money that could be had for making the probowl, getting to the Superbowl, etc.

You're spewing absolute nonsense. It is no coincidence that our defense is much worse than last year's.

No, I'd have to say your post was pretty stupid. If anything for the same simple fact that you're immature enough to just call someone stupid and not even attempt to have a mature conversation.

My views? I'm going with SKinsTillIDie. Smoot is getting burned and seemed to play well last year because he had Springs opposite him usually taking on the better receiver. Also, Smoot had a lot of help over the top from Taylor. In addition, Williams probably had a lot to do with Smoot's seeming success. MAYBE just a little, just a hunch.

Stats don't mean everything on Defense. You can't get tackles if the other team's offense doesn't want to run plays your way. And also, Pierce has better stats (21 more total tackles, 1 more Int, but half a sack behind).

Archived