Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Offseason/RB position

Redskins4ever

I doubt we keep Betts. Someone one will offer him more money than we can pay for him to be a backup. He will be next years Lamont Jordan.

There is not to many places he will be starting. SO unless someone ponies up some money for him to be a back up i see him staying here another 3 years. But People that need starters are arizona and San fran so he may go there to one of those cities.

Rocks a great special teams player along with being a leader of the team so we will sign him. Why do we need to sign OmEgA Cash when we got clinton portis...you relize hes tied with last years td's with 5 already and is gaining 4.5 yards per run and note that he ran ALL OVER the number 1 bucs defence last week.Plus hes a great team guy to have on your team and if you get rid of him santana wont be happy and clinton has average hands for a RB. Go get a job with south carolina steve...no jk:laugh: ;). Do everything possible to get betts at a reasonable price and if we cant were probally draft sombody in the nfl draft.

P.S There was a rumor on here that shaun alexander said if clinton wasnt here hed wanna be with washington but that sounds like BS.

I agree that CP is playing well. And I loved seeing him trample TB last week. But Alexander has 350 more yards and 12 more touchdowns. Is Seattle's offensive line that much better than ours? Not likely. So that means.....

Alexander would of been a much better fit for gibbs offense then portis..... i think alexanders molded for gibbs system but obviously ole joe thought diffrently..........

I think Gibbs wanted to break from his mold of a power back and prove he could win with a guy like Clinton Portis. Clinton has been doing a heck of a Job here. I dont know how good Shawn catches or blocks but clinton seems to hold up well doing that.

I personally would never go after a Denver RB. We've been fortunate in that CP has pretty much lived up to the hype. But I get the feeling that I could run the ball in Denver. No matter who's in their backfield, they succeed.

On the other hand, if God let me go into the lab and build the perfect NFL running back, I'm pretty sure I'd come out with Shaun Alexander.

I did think Portis was more than the typical Denver running back. I mean there just simply is not a system that can produce 5.5ypc/1500+yd running backs. And I think Portis has been a success. He is on pace for probably the quietest 1500 yard season in nfl history, & the entire NFL world stood up & saluted Tiki Barber last year for getting his first 1500 yard season in his 8 year career. Not really fair, but I with all the hype that surrounded the blockbuster trade & contract many think Portis needs to reinvent the runningback position to make the trade worthwile. Considering what Portis had to work with last year 1300+ yards is off the charts.

As far as Shaun Alexander goes, I think it speaks well of our coach that that was "option B". Just goes to show we were in a win-win situation either way.

I did think Portis was more than the typical Denver running back. I mean there just simply is not a system that can produce 5.5ypc/1500+yd running backs. And I think Portis has been a success. He is on pace for probably the quietest 1500 yard season in nfl history, & the entire NFL world stood up & saluted Tiki Barber last year for getting his first 1500 yard season in his 8 year career. Not really fair, but I with all the hype that surrounded the blockbuster trade & contract many think Portis needs to reinvent the runningback position to make the trade worthwile. Considering what Portis had to work with last year 1300+ yards is off the charts.

As far as Shaun Alexander goes, I think it speaks well of our coach that that was "option B". Just goes to show we were in a win-win situation either way.

I agree that it's not 100% the system in Denver that leads to their rushing success. They get good backs. But good backs shouldn't put up the numbers that everyone who carries the ball for them seems to get. Does anyone think Mike Anderson is a "great" back? I doubt it, but he nearly had a 1500-yard season in 2000. Tatum Bell (who I grant is an explosive guy) is averaging 6.3 YPC this season! 6.3!

It's foolish to think that Mike Shanahan knows something about running the football that other coaches are blind to. I'm sure every coach in the league has watched mounds of tape of the Broncos blocking schemes, etc., and I doubt there are any secrets. But what Shanny does works. And it works better than most people do it.

Just for the record, I wouldn't take a quarterback from the Rams either. Same deal. I doubt you could find even one WVU fan who dreamed he'd have the kind of numbers in the NFL he's been able to put up. And what has Kurt Warner done since he left, with some of the best young receivers in the league?

I didn't mean to imply the Denver RB thing is all due to the system. But their system has a way of making guys look better than they might elsewhere.

I believe in Clinton, and I respect the hell out of the fact that he gained weight and has altered his style to fit what Coach Gibbs is trying to do. I'm not down on the guy at all. I just personally would not have risked giving up so much for a Denver RB. Thankfully, Joe Gibbs is in charge and not me, because his decisions as they relate to football are usually pretty good. (How's that for understatement?)

Since CP has been brought into the discussion I'll start with him. CP is learning (very quickly) how to play JG football. His blocking has been awesome and against TB he took the next step i.e. he was timing when to lean forward and when to stand up. He is doing an awesome job and you know there are plays for him being held back. No need to show your cards this early in the season.

RC is gonna be resigned. He is what Redskins football is all about. He has talent. He has desire. He is all about the team. I think this week we will see more o0f why he is going to be staying. As a comparison look at Santana at NYJ. He was as good then as he is now just didn't get the plays. I'm not saying RC is an SM but you never know.... and he is more than good enough to stay with my team.

Mr Betts I hope will still be here next year. I think he will be too. JG has been teaching/learning with CP so far this season. LB will get more chances with the 'skins and I hope that will keep him here.

They are both here now.

I see no reason why that would have to change.

I do not know how other teams see Ladell. He is a good backup.......but I don't know if any other team sees him as stepping in to be their lead.

Blondie

I had the same thought. I am not sure that other GMs feel that Betts is the next Lamont Jordan. I think that we will hold onto him. Which teams would target Betts to start? That just seems like a long shot to me. There are other backups who are better like Domanic Rhodes, Chester Taylor, and maybe Greg Jones.

Overall, I like what Betts brings to the table. He's got a good mix of power, speed and hands. However because of his inability to stay healthy, even taking a limited # of snaps behind Portis, he's a guy I think we could let go of and replace. I'd transition tag him in an effort to maximize our compensation and hope that someone takes the bait.

Salave'a is an underrated guy that we simply have to keep. His performance without C. Griffin next to him has been very good. Additionally, we're so thin in the DL that we really can't afford to lose a solid player. I'd like to see us re-sign him to a fair contract before this season is over.

The priority this offseason simply has to be at DE. I don't see letting Rock and Nemo (provided he's fixed his fumblitis) back up Portis as being all that bad an option for a season until we can draft another guy for that role in the 2nd or 3rd round of the '07 draft. Besides, by that time we may be looking at grooming someone to replace Portis anyway.

I agree that it's not 100% the system in Denver that leads to their rushing success. They get good backs. But good backs shouldn't put up the numbers that everyone who carries the ball for them seems to get. Does anyone think Mike Anderson is a "great" back? I doubt it, but he nearly had a 1500-yard season in 2000. Tatum Bell (who I grant is an explosive guy) is averaging 6.3 YPC this season! 6.3!

It's foolish to think that Mike Shanahan knows something about running the football that other coaches are blind to. I'm sure every coach in the league has watched mounds of tape of the Broncos blocking schemes, etc., and I doubt there are any secrets. But what Shanny does works. And it works better than most people do it.

Just for the record, I wouldn't take a quarterback from the Rams either. Same deal. I doubt you could find even one WVU fan who dreamed he'd have the kind of numbers in the NFL he's been able to put up. And what has Kurt Warner done since he left, with some of the best young receivers in the league?

I didn't mean to imply the Denver RB thing is all due to the system. But their system has a way of making guys look better than they might elsewhere.

I believe in Clinton, and I respect the hell out of the fact that he gained weight and has altered his style to fit what Coach Gibbs is trying to do. I'm not down on the guy at all. I just personally would not have risked giving up so much for a Denver RB. Thankfully, Joe Gibbs is in charge and not me, because his decisions as they relate to football are usually pretty good. (How's that for understatement?)

Yeah, I was leaning slightly for the Shaun Alexander at a value too. But was pretty stoked about getting Portis (kind of like when pop goes ahead and buys you the more expensive bike than the one you asked for, for your birthday *lol*).

No doubt Denver system maxes stats (right-o, I didn't assume you were applying anything else). I thought Portis stats might take a hit early on on a team when everything was new to everybody and especially with the harder defenses of the NFC-E. I can live with 1300yds as a bad year, and I am interested in how he plays out. I'm content with 1300yards as a bad season, but am hopeful we haven't seen Portis's best shot yet. I'm still waiting for it to all play out.

Let's not forget that Portis and Betts were both drafted in the same round in the same year. That said, Betts has proven that he can run. There are a few teams that would make him a starter.

I make a mistake thinking that Gerald Riggs Jr. was the only decent back coming out next year. What about Cedric Humes of Virgina Tech? He'd make a good back up for Portis.

I think Nemo may have been drafted with the possibility of Betts departure in mind, although he has grown nicely into the Kelvin Bryant type mold, so I'm sure we will attempt to keep him.

I don't see any other teams looking at Betts as anything other than what he is here, but if he gets greedy, we have other options already on the roster.

The draft is always pretty deep with RB's, so the teams that need RB's can find them there.

...as far as Maunel White being a bust? He isn't being asked to play RB for us. He is being asked to make a very difficult transition to H-back, and now he's hurt. Hardly a bust. - Mike Sellers, a veteran, had to do the same thing and some people here last year thought he should be cut. - Obviously those people feel different about him now.

Is this true? How could we possibly have passed up that deal? I can't believe that.

I heard it here about it. But here is a couple

The Seahawks offered Alexander to the Redskins in exchange for cornerback Champ Bailey, who was eventually dealt to the Broncos in the Clinton Portis trade. At the time, the Seahawks didn't believe they would be able to re-sign their star running back. Although it's encouraging to hear Shaun say he wants to remain a Seahawk, there's still no guarantee that he'll be with the team next year. Matt Hasselbeck will also be a free agent after this season, and Whitsitt has indicated that re-signing the veteran quarterback is his first priority. Alexander has 44 rushing touchdowns over the last three seasons and is one of fantasy football's elite running backs.

Last paragraph on page.

http://www.fanball.com/fb/playerNewsBreakers.cfm?pid=1005&id=24858

I think we re-sign Rock and Big Joe, no problem. Betts re-signing here seems a little unlikely because we probably wouldn't have draft Broughton if we thought he was a sure resign. If we make deep in the playoffs, I could see us resigning Betts. Otherwise, I could see him signing with one of the following teams:

Minnesota

Arizona

Indianapolis (depending on Edge's resigning)

New York Jets (Martin isn't getting any younger)

:2cents:

Damn, I hate to see what we have now change. I hope we can keep betts and rock. The 3 backs we have now have a very good chemistry, thats hard to replace. I'd bet gibbs will be fighting to keep betts. As for J. salavea, I would hate to see him leave also. I really like the team we have now. We dont need, and gibbs doesnt make a habit of adding "big name players" to the roster. We have tough, hard working team players right now. It would be a mistake to start to reshape it.

yup, next year he will be a starter somewhere. more power to him, he has earned it.

Agreed. This isn't like Smoot or Pierce who were nothing until the Redskins made them something. This guy has gave his all to this team and it's just a situation where we have a starter and he can feel good about going to a different team with no hard feelings. He has earned it and I hope he does great. I've said for years that he could be a starter on a half dozen teams around the league...

Archived