Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Offseason/RB position

Redskins4ever

Agreed. If we want to keep Betts, we've got to lock him up now. If it reaches the offseason, he's gone. I think we'll draft an RB in the middle rounds. Let's just hope we pick someone better than Manuel White... :doh:

?? Manuel White could be a beast...we never even got to see him play. Give the guy a chance before you assault him with the :doh: smiley!!! :)

As far as the question...I hope we re-sign Salave'a, and we will probably re-sign Rock. Betts is probably gone. But I thought he was signed through 06? I could be mistaken. He deserves to be a starter somewhere...

Get rid of all of our RBs and sign Shaun Alexander, who I believe is a UFA after this season. I know that's not possible, but dang, can you imagine that guy in Gibbs' offense.

No disrespect to Blondie, but I think it's more important to find someway to hold onto Betts than Rock. He consistently gives us good production while spelling Portis. As much as I like the kid, Rock's kind of a "tweener" who doesn't really fit into any one position ideally.

[Agreed. If we want to keep Betts, we've got to lock him up now. If it reaches the offseason, he's gone. I think we'll draft an RB in the middle rounds. Let's just hope we pick someone better than Manuel White... :doh:

/QUOTE] manuel white was a H-back, he wasnt a running back he was like cooley, your thinking of nemeiah brouton was the running back we drafted

I live in Tennessee and go to a lot of UT games and you DO NOT want Gerald Riggs Jr. He isn't a very good back. Fumble problems and lack of hard running. We have a freshman running while Riggs is hurt and he Got 220 yards in the loss to Vandy today (yea we lost to Vandy and are not bowl eligible). We are having a terrible year.

Get rid of all of our RBs and sign Shaun Alexander, who I believe is a UFA after this season. I know that's not possible, but dang, can you imagine that guy in Gibbs' offense.

Had you heard...it was widely reported that Seattle offered the Redskins Shaun Alexander for Rolando Bailey straight up. What would you have thought of that?

No disrespect to Blondie, but I think it's more important to find someway to hold onto Betts than Rock. He consistently gives us good production while spelling Portis. As much as I like the kid, Rock's kind of a "tweener" who doesn't really fit into any one position ideally.

Rock fits in an all purpose role. He is doing a great job at what he does. The coaches know what he can do and count on him to do just that. Yes, good lord, I know he had a fumble. My lord......I wish he had not fumbled.......and lord knows HE wishes he had not fumbled. But he is a blue-collar player. Not all players need to be the "big named" players.

I do not feel disrespected as I don't see a competition between Rock and Ladell. Each season Rock has to show what he can do, and for four years he has proven himself.

I have NO idea how Nemo will develop as I have not seen him on the field. He may develop into an awesome back...........or he may not. All I know is he has not made it on the field this season.

Blondie

In the off season, a few players contracts will be up...also Joe Salavea.

Gregg Williams talked Joe Salavea into coming here. So I think Joe Salavea is in with a coach he likes, in a system he likes, and lets face it DC is really starting to warm up to him. I think he will stay here as long as Williams does.

On the running backs. None of them have wow'ed me yet, but I would like to see what Portis does in the second half of the season & hopefully in the playoff. It seems like Gibbs has been saving him. Nice year for Betts but I think Rock could fill in & do the same.

Betts fumbled in the Dallas game. One play does not make or break any player in my mind. I've forgotten about Rock's fumble really, because I know he's a tough kid that gives everything he has. And you could just see that that drop ripped his guts out. If he didn't care, it'd be different.

Please don't misunderstand. Rock is what you hope a Redskin would be -- on and off the field. But be it due to coaching, or due to ability, Betts IMHO is more valuable to the team right now. If for no other reason, just because of the way Gibbs is using him.

You're right though. Their roles are completely different. Rock IS important. He's one of those guys who goes out and does all of the things no one else wants to do. But this thread is kind of asking, "who do you keep?" I don't want to see Rock go, but I feel like we HAVE to find a way to keep Betts.

:2cents:

Betts fumbled in the Dallas game. One play does not make or break any player in my mind. I've forgotten about Rock's fumble really, because I know he's a tough kid that gives everything he has. And you could just see that that drop ripped his guts out. If he didn't care, it'd be different.

Please don't misunderstand. Rock is what you hope a Redskin would be -- on and off the field. But be it due to coaching, or due to ability, Betts IMHO is more valuable to the team right now. If for no other reason, just because of the way Gibbs is using him.

You're right though. Their roles are completely different. Rock IS important. He's one of those guys who goes out and does all of the things no one else wants to do. But this thread is kind of asking, "who do you keep?" I don't want to see Rock go, but I feel like we HAVE to find a way to keep Betts.

:2cents:

They are both here now.

I see no reason why that would have to change.

I do not know how other teams see Ladell. He is a good backup.......but I don't know if any other team sees him as stepping in to be their lead.

Blondie

I would've cut my left arm off with a butter knife to see that happen.

Yeah it would be looking really good about now. Might have even got Alexander signed to a cheaper contract. Plus keeping the 42nd overall pick.

At the time I heard it, I thought Alexander was the safer trade & better value. I thought Portis could be better, but riskier too, & more expensive. Right now it is looking like Alexander might have been the best of all worlds. But I'm still holding out for Portis, it could still happen.

-----------------------

The Oakton Cougars (with Jared "son of Darrell" Green) defeat the Annandale Atoms. 28-14

----------------------

I personally would never go after a Denver RB. We've been fortunate in that CP has pretty much lived up to the hype. But I get the feeling that I could run the ball in Denver. No matter who's in their backfield, they succeed.

On the other hand, if God let me go into the lab and build the perfect NFL running back, I'm pretty sure I'd come out with Shaun Alexander.

In the off season, a few players contracts will be up. Namely Ladell Betts and Rock Cartright. Also Joe Salavea.

Do we resign Betts and Cartright or do we look to the draft? What's the possibility in Gibbs drafting Gerald Riggs Jr. out of Tennessee?

Yes we do everything possible to keep betts and cartwright. Joe Salavea has been pretty beast this year so he could get a 1 or 2 year contract..

Rocks a great special teams player along with being a leader of the team so we will sign him. Why do we need to sign OmEgA Cash when we got clinton portis...you relize hes tied with last years td's with 5 already and is gaining 4.5 yards per run and note that he ran ALL OVER the number 1 bucs defence last week.Plus hes a great team guy to have on your team and if you get rid of him santana wont be happy and clinton has average hands for a RB. Go get a job with south carolina steve...no jk:laugh: ;). Do everything possible to get betts at a reasonable price and if we cant were probally draft sombody in the nfl draft.

P.S There was a rumor on here that shaun alexander said if clinton wasnt here hed wanna be with washington but that sounds like BS.

Archived