Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What's your opinion of the Tailgate Club?

Hambone26

A friend and I joined the Tailgate Club this season because we are lifelong Redskins fans but didn't have the forethought to add our names to the waiting list when we were 5 - stupid I know. So, in order to circumvent the waiting list and get tickets immidiately, we joined the Tailgate Club. After half a season we've noticed some obvious advantages and disadvantages and I wanted to see what other people thought:

Advantages:

Avoid the 1,245 year waiting list for seats in the last row of the endzone upperdeck.

Free Food and beverages

Discount booze

Cheerleaders and Redskins Alumni

Access to the Club Level after the games

Access to the stadium 3 hours before games and 3 hours after (avoid traffic)

Green parking pass

Arcade, T-shirts, prizes.

Disadvantages:

$120+ per ticket

$1000+ membership

The food is always the same

The games are all the same (golf and madden '06)

And I never seem to see too many people who go every week.

My friend and I go every week, mainly to get a free lunch and avoid waiting in the traffic before and after the games, but it seems that most people must sell their Tailgate Club passes most of the time because, as mentioned, I don't usually see the same people there (although there are hundreds) but also because I frequently see lots of fans from opposing teams. I wore my "McSUCKS" jersey to the Eagles game, thinking that I'd be in friendly confines in the Tailgate Club only to find scores of Eagles fans sneering at me. Are the members of this club getting bored with it because it's exactly the same every week minus the free doorprizes? Or is this just typical - similar to the thousands of season ticket holders who sell their tickets and never set foot in the stadium?

I like that you can go to Hooters after the game ends but I thought the food was inedible and cold and it looked like no one had cleaned the tables of leftover food since the last game. If it gets you in the stadium - good, but I just don't see the value for the money you're plunking down.

If you've got the money to burn, it's the best way to circumvent the wait-list. I for one, don't have that kind of expendable income so it doesn't make sense.

Last season, I picked up a pair of Tailgate Club tickets and I thought it was kinda cool. Would I go more than once or twice, probably not. I assume that people who can afford the option do so to get instant access to season tickets and simply sell the Tailgate Club tickets for each game.

:2cents:

i too am in the tailgate club.

at the halfway point of the season, i can honestly say that i am happy with it. did i absolutely hate the initiation fee? yes. did i care for a red parking pass? no. the food? not really (but it is growing on me, i cant lie).

it does have its perks, the stage, the cheerleaders, the free gifts and the autograph sessions.

what i am looking forward to the most is seeing what kind of "priority relocation" i get next season.

on another note one of the reasons for opposing fans is because people sell the passes on ebay.

I was an inaugural member of the Tailgate Club......when I joined the initiation fee was only $499. The first year they had the standard fare bbq that they have now but also had a "specialty item" each week which was a regional food item from the visiting team. It was nice to have that variety and I have no idea why they got away from it...I wish they'd offer the variety again. The food is average as a whole....the pork ribs and better than the beef ribs which tend to be very tough. The bbq chicken breast is inedible due to toughness. The burgers and dogs are ok if you get them warm. Tampa has a similiar setup and draft beer is INCLUDED in the price. I feel that if the Skins added that the customer would realize a much better value. The entertainment value is awesome...especially for the little ones. The band marching through..the autographs...pics and performances with cheerleaders....the video games..all enhance the gameday experience. It is really nice to be in a climate controlled area and not have to worry about preparing your tailgate menu....and cleaning up afterwards. The club level access is a nice touch...we usually go up and have a drink and sit on one of the leather couches and watch the postgame.

I've been going to games since 1972 (age 7) at RFK and have missed very few...my parents had tix since back in Griffith Stadium. At RFK we had one pair upstairs and one pair lower....gave up the upstairs pair at FedEX after the first year b/c the seats were inferior to the ones at RFK and I kept using the lower level. As my kids got older I really wanted to pick up another pair of lowers and the opportunity to bypass the waitlist for $1000 to get them was well worth it...beers are $2 cheaper than in the stadium so after 500 beers I'll recoup my initiation fee :) ...so all in all.....I am pleased with the setup and would do it again 100 times out of 100. I don't want to be moved from my seat so priority relocation is not something I'd be interested in so no problems there but I do think if you have tailgate club that they should at least give you green parking..they only offered me red.

Oh...and a couple more thoughts.....whenever I take a guest/client they are very impressed with the tailgate club...is great for business.

Also another HUGE advantage is the fact that the tailgate club has their own entrances in to the stadium so there never is a wait to get in when the rush is on before kickoff. And being able avoid the traffic by partying on the club level with live entertaiment and cheerleaders while waiting for the traffic to clear out isn't bad either...

what i am looking forward to the most is seeing what kind of "priority relocation" i get next season.

Excellent Point - I'm very curious about that too. Does anyone out there know how long it will take or how much one might expect to move up? I'm sure it's greatly dependent on how the team does this year since fewer people will give up their seats when we make the playoffs. I guess we get first dibs at playoff tickets too eh?

the thing I hate about the tailgate club is that you not only leapfrooged over the waitlisted people, but now all available lower bowl seats only go to tailgate club patrons (or the few obstructed seat persons waiting to get out from behind the pillars)

I am a long time season ticket holder who spent 14 years on the wait list, but the only way I will get to the lowr bowl is to take an obstructued view seat I passed on several years ago, or to pay the $ for the tailgate pass. no reward for fan loyalty.

the thing I hate about the tailgate club is that you not only leapfrooged over the waitlisted people, but now all available lower bowl seats only go to tailgate club patrons (or the few obstructed seat persons waiting to get out from behind the pillars)

I am a long time season ticket holder who spent 14 years on the wait list, but the only way I will get to the lowr bowl is to take an obstructued view seat I passed on several years ago, or to pay the $ for the tailgate pass. no reward for fan loyalty.

That's a little thing we affectionately refer to as a Snyderism.

Excellent Point - I'm very curious about that too. Does anyone out there know how long it will take or how much one might expect to move up? I'm sure it's greatly dependent on how the team does this year since fewer people will give up their seats when we make the playoffs. I guess we get first dibs at playoff tickets too eh?

I am an inaugural member of the TGC. Although I've asked every year, they have never given me better seats, so I wouldn't count on that making it worthwhile. The food is very average and my kids barely touch it, so it is definitely not worth the price if you are mainly interested in food.

But, you can't beat the seats. I thought I'd have to wait 50 years to get lower level seats.

Here is an honest question:

Why would anyone want to actually pay to a game live in this day and age?

I've been to games in Fedex, Three Rivers, Whatever Baltimore's stadium is called now, Heinz Field, and the Linc over the last decade. I haven't paid for one of them and I would still describe my experience at all of them as "Eh, it was ok."

You sit in traffic for days, you pay $50 for water-down beer and cold hot dogs, some idiot throws up behind you, there are a million tv time-outs, and - especially at FedEX, you don't get replays so half the time I'm trying to establish what just happened.

I love the NFL. And I came to the conclusion years ago, that there is nothing better than eating home-cooked food and drinking top shelf liquor in front of a very big tv. I can get the food, liquor, and big tv for about the same price as you are paying for the "right" to buy the ticket. And I'm warm and have replays.

I don't know. In my teens and twenties, all I could think about was having season tickets to games. In my thirties, it seems like such a hassle.

This is my first year and as a die-hard skins fan who thought I'd have to wait until I was 50+ (Ive been on the list for years and im 29) I think the tailgate club is well worth it. Not really sure yet about next year if I'll renew or not, We got really good seats in section 129 on the aisle. Its in the corner of the endzone directly across the stadium from where the skins run out of the tunnel. The food is indeed average, but where else can I get Charley Taylor to autograph my sweatshirt? He asked me why was I ruining it? I laughed and told him he was a HOF'er. So as for my inaugural season I would do it again like mentioned before 100 times out of 100. My unborn kids will love me for this someday! My dad never took my brother and I to any NFL games.

Lombardi, I think it comes down to how much one wants to pay. I agree that the fee I'm paying for my club seats and possibly what they hit you up for the Tailgate Club may be a bit too high, particularly if the pre-game Tailgate food is as mediocre as described.

But I think those who are fortunate enough to have regular season tix (at $44-79 per game) may be getting fair value if the experience of feeling like you're making a difference as the 12th man is worth it to you. As far as the food prices go.........eat before you get to the stadium and don't buy it there. As for traffic......I think people whine a bit too much about it. Get to the stadium early, and if you leave quick enough after the game you can get out of there relatively quickly. The parking fee is admittedly steep, but taking Metro can even get you out of that.

I am an inaugural member of the TGC. Although I've asked every year, they have never given me better seats, so I wouldn't count on that making it worthwhile.

two questions

1. where are your seats located? i am asking because you may have prime seating. the closer you get to midfield, i doubt too many people wont take those to the grave, so it would be harder for you to move. i sit in the center endzone, row 4 and i am content where i am. i just figured in time (hopefully) i will get closer to the 50. i am going to soak up everything this sunday, i may ask not to be moved.

2. princeton junction. there used to be a sub place a block or two away, "greasy tony's" or "greasy eddies". is it still there? damn that place was great!

one more thing, priority relocation is defined as moving up in your current section OR closer to the 50. if you are already in the 100 level you will not move into the 200's.

Oh...and a couple more thoughts.....whenever I take a guest/client they are very impressed with the tailgate club...is great for business.

Also another HUGE advantage is the fact that the tailgate club has their own entrances in to the stadium so there never is a wait to get in when the rush is on before kickoff. And being able avoid the traffic by partying on the club level with live entertaiment and cheerleaders while waiting for the traffic to clear out isn't bad either...

I've been going to games since I was 6.. my dad had season tickets at Griffith Stadium.. since he died, I've had his tickets. I don't belong to the tailgate club. I have Green parking. I don't have club seats, but I am in the lower bowl between the 40s. I never leave the game before the final gun. And I'm always home (near Columbia, Maryland) before the post-game interviews are over on the radio.

I learned from the best.. my dad. It's all where you park. The first game I took my father-in-law to was at RFK. We came out of the game to the parking lot and even the "driving" lanes were a "parking lot" (literally).. the game had gone into overtime and no one had left. He shook his head, saying that we may as well turn the radio on and wait... I said no.. trust me. I lived where I live now (near Columbia, Maryland), and was home in 35 minutes fromn the time I started the car. He's never doubted me since and still, to this day, tells people about it (and I drive everywhere we go now). :laugh:

I have a couple questions:

1. Is it $120 per ticket AND $1000 fee?

2. How would I go about becoming part of the TGC?

I know the second sound dumb, but none of my friends/family have season tix and I am on the waiting list, but if there is a way that I can bypass the 50+ year wait list and save a few bucks (compared to dream seats or club level) I would love to know how.

Seems like the tailgate club is better suited to folks that only attend a game every now and then.

The first time I went - I thought it was amazing. You get to see the cheerleaders up close, the band comes through, there are video games, face painting for the die hards and the kids, raffles for some great SKINS apparel, free video games, free food, discount booze, autograph sessions.

The more I have gone, the more I have noticed the lack of warmth to the food (especially on cold days). All you can eat is great, but you would expect it to be warm still. (I Dont know who to complain to about this)

Club level access after the game is neat as well. The band is usually a good time. It is a hassle getting up there though, as folks are pouring down the stairs and escalators. It would be better if they continued to serve food up there after the game.

Overall, a decent experience. Dont think it is worth the $$ though. If I had more friends that went to the games, I would just tailgate in the parking lots.

Seems like the tailgate club is better suited to folks that only attend a game every now and then.

The more I have gone, the more I have noticed the lack of warmth to the food (especially on cold days). All you can eat is great, but you would expect it to be warm still. (I Dont know who to complain to about this)

Club level access after the game is neat as well. The band is usually a good time. It is a hassle getting up there though, as folks are pouring down the stairs and escalators. It would be better if they continued to serve food up there after the game.

Rich...you're right on with all of your observations...the food being cold has been a MAJOR problem but I bet not many have called to complain to the Skins about it. I have. The first preseason game the first year they had the grills right up by the food tents and that was the best it ever was. You were handed your grub directly off of the grill...only problem was that while standing in line the smoke poured off of the grills directly into your face...what a fiasco that was. My guess is that is why they moved the grills to the present location requiring them to haul over the food in aluminum pans and try to keep it warm with sterno. I always use the tongs and pull from the bottom and the food is usually warmer closer to the flame.

I struggled with the club level access postgame as well....swimming upstream while tens of thousands exited sucked....a tip for you if you didn't know..you can take the elevators up which are located right by guest services..just past the stadium store.....sometimes a little bit of wait....but very easy to get up this way.

I have a couple questions:

1. Is it $120 per ticket AND $1000 fee?

2. How would I go about becoming part of the TGC?

I know the second sound dumb, but none of my friends/family have season tix and I am on the waiting list, but if there is a way that I can bypass the 50+ year wait list and save a few bucks (compared to dream seats or club level) I would love to know how.

If you're interested in the Tailgate Club call Andrew Hession - he's an account executive with the Redskins at 301-276-6745 or e-mail him at HessionA@redskins.com - he's a good guy and very helpful.

Here's how the club works: You pay a flat $1295 membership fee. It's a one-time fee that is transferable to ANYONE (regular skins tickets can only be transfered to immidiate family members), meaning that you can sell your membership to anyone if you don't want to be a member anymore. Then every ticket is roughly $120 ($80 for the ticket, $40 for all the stuff you get with the tailgate club/access to the Club level, etc.) You also get the option of a parking pass - so that tacks on $20 per game or something but you don't have to do that. I have a payment plan since it's my first year - so it's a few hundred every few months. The biggest problem is that you have to pay that membership fee for every ticket - so if you want to get 2 tickets - that's 2 membership fees, so it gets very expensive. I went in with a friend, so we each only bought 1 ticket (next to each other) and if he ever decides to sell then I suppose I'd buy his membership from him.

Another thought:

One of the advantages to the club, however, is that when you get your package in the mail, the game ticket, parking pass, and wristband that gets you access to the Tailgate and Club Level all come seperately - meaning that if you don't want to go to the tailgate and just want to go to the game then you can sell them. If you're lucky, you might be able to get your money back on Ebay (I've bought a few on there for friends who I want to take to the club) but I wouldn't count on it being a money-making scheme - in fact you probably won't be able to sell them for $40 each.

agreed that any guest you take to the tailgate will love it; but think about it, wouldnt you love being at an nfl game, probably at no cost to you AND getting free food and entertainment? i know i would.

the tailgate club is only a green parking pass and a great caterer (bbq/experienced tailgating caterer) away from being worth it.

after your first year, every year after that will cost you the face value of the ticket, $250 for a red parking pass and $500 tailgate club fee per ticket. in a nutshell its face value plus $500 per ticket a year.

A couple of buddies of mine from Delaware meet us and we tailgate in the parking lot.. starting when the lot opens. We usually start with something like bacon-wrapped scallops and/or shrimp on the grill, crab stuffed grilled green peppers, cream of crab soup (when its cold).

Then.. the main course.. forget hamburgers and hot dogs. We do pork loin shishkabobs, crab cakes, country burgers (stuffed with cheese, onions, spices), bratwurst with grilled onions, ribs, chicken steak sandwiches, or any number of things. Once that is done.. of course there's dessert.. in the summer, something like chocolate-covered frozen cheese cake, eclairs, etc. As it gets colder, it becomes more non-"cold" stuff like baklava, key lime pie bars, boston creme pie.

I'll take that over what I hear about the tailgate club any time ::grin::. No offense to those that do.. but I just can' afford that kind of money no matter how much I love my 'Skins.

Archived