Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Betts as a Receiver

tvo14

I'm very impressed with Betts when he as been a receiver in the slot or running a route out of the backfield. Lining up Betts in the slot against a linebacker or safety would be a match up in our favor against most teams. The guy always seems to be open when he's in there on passing downs. How close was that pass that Brunell barely underthrew to him against Tampa Bay??? That would've put us in field goal position. Betts almost made an awesome catch but close only counts in horseshoes. I would even say he's a better reciever out of the backfield than Portis, Betts seems to run better routes. No arguing that Portis has made some difficult catches but I just think Better is a better route runner and maybe more speed?

I would think that he would get some decent offers around the league and we might not be able to resign him. That would be a shame, because he is a good player. His injury history might scare some teams off, but that would be a good thing for us to resign him. But I would not want to convert him into a WR. I think that he is great as a 2nd RB and is a great change of pace compared to Portis.

Ladell is a great #2 back, but because of his injury history is not likely to draw any interest around the league as a #1. He is likely to remain a #2 wherever he goes so hopefully he will be happy at #2 here in DC.

But I do like Rock running the ball despite that horribly timed fumble against KC.

As for Ladell at WR...

Uhmm, No.

The whole reason Betts is effective as a receiver is because he is a back, NOT a wide receiver. He lines up against linebackers or safeties, not corners. That's like suggesting we should make Santana Moss our running back because he has a lot of YAC.

Ladell has the potential in the right situation to be another Lamont Jordan. He has all the tools.

As for his receiving skills, they're excellent. The pass play versus the Eagles on teh go-ahead TD drive where he was split to the weakside in the backfield and simply ran between the MLB and the WLB upfield, took the pass in stride and ran for more, was so smooth it was beautiful. His TD reception versus the Bucs was on the same play, except that they put him in motion. He's dangerous.

The reason Spurrier drafted Betts was his ability to catch out of the backfield. Spurrier scouted him at an allstar game before the draft and he looked really impressive catching the ball.

I loved the touchdown grab last week -- he reached out to his side and caught a bullet with his hands and turned right upfield all in stride. Hopefully he fulfills his predraft promise as a great receiver out of the backfield.

The reason Spurrier drafted Betts was his ability to catch out of the backfield. Spurrier scouted him at an allstar game before the draft and he looked really impressive catching the ball.

I loved the touchdown grab last week -- he reached out to his side and caught a bullet with his hands and turned right upfield all in stride. Hopefully he fulfills his predraft promise as a great receiver out of the backfield.

My response was to the poster giving the dumb idea of converting Betts into a WR.

Guys, look around the NFL. Every team except the Cardinals and 49ers have good backs. In every situation, Betts would be a backup except for those teams. Considering the 9ers will probably draft Alex Smith's Helix HS teammate Reggie Bush, I think Betts would leave the Skins only for the Cardinals. However, Chester Taylor and Najeh Davenport are more enticing to teams as starters than Betts. So, if we offer him a reasonable deal, we can keep Betts.

I'm very impressed with Betts when he as been a receiver in the slot or running a route out of the backfield. Lining up Betts in the slot against a linebacker or safety would be a match up in our favor against most teams. The guy always seems to be open when he's in there on passing downs. How close was that pass that Brunell barely underthrew to him against Tampa Bay??? That would've put us in field goal position. Betts almost made an awesome catch but close only counts in horseshoes. I would even say he's a better reciever out of the backfield than Portis, Betts seems to run better routes. No arguing that Portis has made some difficult catches but I just think Better is a better route runner and maybe more speed?

He doesn't have more speed, but he is a better route runner. He has proved to be a reliable receiving threat this season, as well as kick return threat, and running threat! :D

I think we have a good chance of getting Betts back next year. Think of it, he gets a fair amount of playing time here in DC and I dont know of many other teams that would be willing to commit to him 100% all the way. If he were to choose between being a 2nd back here and a 2nd back somewhere else I think he would choose here.

Priest Holmes is getting up there in age. Larry Johnson was drafted to replace him and is on his rookie contract.

Clinton Portis was brought in to replace Betts and he is coming to the end of his rookie contract. We could make it work with money but it's not the same situation. Don't you think Betts will want a bigger contract after his performance than a rookie one?

Archived