Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Fox Sports: Giants win the division, Redskins get wild card (Merged)

SloppyOneXXVI

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5065824

I don't actually feel like posting these predictions cause a) they are too long, and B) its absurd and I am offended. After the 10 people adjusted their picks from the beginning of the season, not one of them even predict the Redskins getting a wild card. Yet 4 of the people predicted the Eagles still making the playoffs. I understand that we don't get alot of love from the mediots, but this is absolutely absurd. foxsports.com might actually beat Peter King and Dr. Z for the "I hate the Redskins" award of the year. Anyway, check it out, get upset, and then laugh at these idiots for doubting us.

Okay, so atleast this guy from foxsports.com likes us. This is just his predictions for the NFC East, but the rest of his predictions can be seen here http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5074454

Aaron Schatz / FootballOutsiders.com

NFC East

Let's all be honest: Nobody saw the NFC East turning out like this, whether they predict the NFL using stats or scouting or goat entrails and the Oracle at Delphi.

We all know that any good team in the NFL can be suddenly decimated by injuries and any bad team can suddenly see its talent jell. The shortest schedule of any professional sport often means that a couple of lucky bounces will make the difference between a team that plays in January and one that goes home. Rather than trying to predict exact win-loss records in our book Pro Football Prospectus 2005, we instead projected the probability of each team finishing as a Super Bowl contender, playoff team, and so on.

According to our projections, there was a 95 percent chance that the 2005 Philadelphia Eagles would have a winning record, the highest of any team. But there's a reason we didn't say 100 percent -- it's always possible for everything to go wrong. And wouldn't you know it, that's what happened. All the T.O. nonsense, injuries to the team's most important players, the inexplicable collapse of the special teams, Jeremiah Trotter getting thrown out of the first game, the other three NFC East teams all turning it around at the same time ... the only thing that could have gone wrong but hasn't might be an injury to Brian Westbrook.

The other three teams will battle to win this division, and the projection system expects all three to decline. The biggest issue is what Bill James used to call the "plexiglass principle": teams which improve or worsen dramatically are likely to bounce back the following year. In the NFL, they're also likely to bounce back in the second half of the year. Not guaranteed, but likely.

There are a couple of other negative indicators for the Giants. Offenses that are successful converting third downs with the pass are more likely to be good in the second half than offenses that are successful converting third downs with the run. If other parts of the offense break down, those teams that can convert with passes on third-and-long are better able to blunt the damage and keep their offensive drives alive. Right now, DVOA ranks the Giants fourth in the league on third down runs and 29th on third down passes. (The only teams behind them are San Francisco, Houston, and Pittsburgh, which, to digress a bit, is another reason why the projection system thinks Cincinnati will win the AFC North.)

The Giants also cannot expect their special teams to keep playing at such a ridiculously high level. New York is in the top four in every area of special teams we measure: field goals, kickoffs, punts, kick returns, and punt returns. We've broken down play by play going back to 1998, and if the season ended today the Giants would have the most valuable special teams in the entire eight-year period. This table gives the estimated value of the top ten special teams from 1998-2005 in points per game, adjusted for weather and altitude ...

That's probably not going to continue. But these negative indicators are balanced by two things the Giants have going in their favor. First, they're already one win up on the rest of the division. Second, nobody wants to talk about this for fear of being disrespectful to the victims of Hurricane Katrina, but they have the unfair advantage of playing nine home games this year.

How close is this race? I'm rounding off the projections since nobody can win 0.4 games in the NFL, but the difference between New York and Washington is less than a game: 10.1 projected wins for the Giants, 9.4 wins for the Redskins, and 9.0 for the Cowboys. And unlike in the AFC West, there's a very good chance that a wild card will come out of this division as well, which means we add on the complications of the wild card tiebreakers. Since Dallas still has to go to New York and to Washington, it is the most likely team to get shut out.

Projected order of finish: New York Giants 10-6, Washington 9-7 (wild card), Dallas 9-7, Philadelphia 7-9

Being a 'Skins fan and living in the land of the E-Girls I grow tired of the constant media drooling over the Birds. Last Sunday night was one of the best football nights of my life, a night too conveniently discounted by the local media. I've now been around long enough to appreciate the ethics, values and results of Joe Gibbs and staff, and just turn a cheek towards the likes of Fox Sports. Come December, we'll see how the coalition of James "I don't feel good.." Brown, Terry "If I only had a brain" Bradshaw, Howie "How far is Villanova from Lincoln Field" Long and Jimmy "Jerry, please don't mess up my hair" Johnson synchronously hums a Redskins love song.

Sometimes I ask myself: have these experts even watched football, or spent the season under a rock. I am not arguing with the NFC East predictions for the most part, i would be saying Giants too and I will say it until we are back in 1st place and beat them at home.

But honestly is this glazer guy mentally retarded? Yeah the Eagles will take over the NFC East...the Rat Birds will win the AFC North...what the hell is that about??? The Jets in the wild card??? What??? Offensive ROY is Ronnie Brown? Are you kidding me? 2 of em have Peppers as defensive player of the year.... This is mind boggling.

I can understand why the media would pick the Giants:

-- They are the hot item right now.

Why they pick the Eagles

-- they continue to get to the NFCC for the past 4 years, not over till it's over.

Why the Cowboys?

Don't get this one.....what have the 'Boys done lately?

I guess b/c the Beat NY and Philly in Big D......oh yeah, and the Skins got a "fluke" win.

Patriots should still make the playoffs

Aaron Schatz / FootballOutsiders.com

Posted: 23 hours ago

We read a lot about how the postseason would look "if the season ended today." But we all know that there's no chance the postseason actually will look like that. Some teams will improve in the second half, others will decline.

Some teams, like New England, are done with the hardest part of the schedule; for others, like Indianapolis, the hardest games all lie ahead. Is there any way to figure out just who will make the playoffs and who will be left out?

NFL MIDSEASON REVIEW

Can the Colts go undefeated? Will Carson Palmer keep up his MVP pace? Get the answers to the midseason questions below.

# NFL midseason predictions

# SCHATZ: Season Projections

# GLAZER: Midseason awards

# ROTTER: Fantasy awards | projections

No, but while nothing is guaranteed, we have a method for figuring out which teams have the best chance to make the playoffs. Last year at Football Outsiders, we developed a projection system based on our innovative DVOA ratings, the same ratings you see in the FOXSports.com power rankings each week. The DVOA system (it stands for Defense-adjusted Value Over Average) breaks down every single play of the season and compares each one to the NFL average based on situation and opponent. Each play is judged on both total yards and yards towards a first down. (Click here for further explanation.)

The projection system is based on an analysis of midseason trends from the last five seasons. It takes into account the upcoming schedule, how teams have played in recent weeks, the statistical split between the pass and the run, performance in different situations, how much experience the coaching staff has, and even the ather in each city — teams in colder regions do, in fact, have a slight advantage in the last two months of the season.

Last year, this system proved quite accurate. It predicted that the 5-3 Jaguars and 5-3 Giants would miss the playoffs, that 6-3 San Diego would beat out 6-3 Denver for the AFC West title, that 4-4 Green Bay would win the NFC North, and that the 1-7 Carolina Panthers would be a much better team in the second half.

NFL Week 10

Photo galleries ...

Best of Week 9

Cardinals at Lions

GameTrax | Preview | Box score

Texans at Colts

Vikings at Giants

Ravens at Jaguars

49ers at Bears

Patriots at Dolphins

Chiefs at Bills

Broncos at Raiders

Jets at Panthers

Packers at Falcons

Rams at Seahawks

Redskins at Buccaneers

Browns at Steelers

Cowboys at Eagles

This year, however, it doesn't give many earth-shaking predictions. The team it feels will take a big step forward in the second half is already 6-2 thanks to an easy schedule. Every team predicted to win a division is already in first place in that division, either alone or tied with another team. The trends revealed by these projections, however, are especially interesting in the four divisions where first place is very much in doubt: the AFC North and West, and the NFC East and South.

I've left the projected records exactly as the computer spit them out. Of course, there are injuries, motivation issues, and other intangibles that will also influence how teams do in the second half. Rather than have the projections indicate my personal biases, I prefer to mention in the commentary when my gut feeling and the numbers disagree.

AFC East

Before the season, many people considered the AFC East to be the best division in football, but the top three teams have all crumbled. We all know about the injuries, but there's another issue here: poor off-season roster decisions that left these teams bereft of quality backups.

New England is the most stunning example of the problem. Many people considered Bill Belichick's roster-building decisions to be infallible. That's obviously not the case — anyone remember Steve Martin and Donald Hayes in 2002? — but when they signed veterans, more often than not the Patriots struck gold. Not this year. The Patriots signed Chad Scott and traded for Duane Starks in order to provide depth at cornerback, and both were terrible. They signed linebacker Monty Beisel, who couldn't tackle in Kansas City, and Chad Brown, who struggled with injuries in Seattle, and watched as Beisel continued to not tackle anybody and Brown continued to struggle with injuries. There were also injuries New England could not prepare for: Rodney Harrison, who set the tone for the Patriots defense, blew out his knee, and then both his backups were injured, forcing the Patriots to start five different strong safeties. Running back Corey Dillon and both of his backups are hurt.

The Jets have similar problems. In the offseason, they drafted a kicker instead of an offensive or defensive lineman. They replaced nose tackle Jason Ferguson with career backup James Reed, and moved second-year offensive tackle Adrian Jones into the starting lineup, leaving them with little offensive line depth. The run defense has fallen apart, and the offensive line has been hobbled by injuries. Of course, the Jets couldn't foresee their starting and backup quarterbacks both hurt at the same time, and they prepared for the breakdown of Curtis Martin by signing Derrick Blaylock only to have Blaylock break his ankle.

Buffalo didn't properly replace defensive tackle Pat Williams, and then lost their best defensive player, Takeo Spikes. Those two losses together killed their run defense. On offense, it turns out J.P. Losman was far from ready, and the offensive line can block for the run but not the pass.

The one team in this division that can be happy is Miami. The Dolphins registered some exciting upsets, beating Denver and Carolina. The defense is very strong, with some excellent young players joining veterans like Jason Taylor and Zach Thomas. Ronnie Brown is the real deal, and the offensive line has improved under the tutelage of Hudson Houck. The Dolphins desperately need a real quarterback in 2006.

From here on, the clear favorite to win the division has to be the Patriots, who managed to make it through a very difficult first half 4-4 despite the total disintegration of their defense. The Patriots are still the best team in the division according to our DVOA metric and the projection says they will improve in the second half. Their schedule includes five division games and just two matchups with winning teams, Kansas City and fading Tampa Bay. Miami has a legitimate shot to win the division, but they'll need to improve their passing game and beat the Patriots twice. The Bills aren't as bad as people think, but their schedule still includes Kansas City, Denver, San Diego, Carolina, and Cincinnati. According to the projection system, there is no reason to believe the Jets will improve.

Projected order of finish: New England 9-7, Miami 7-9, Buffalo 6-10, New York Jets 5-11

AFC North

This division is a dogfight between Cincinnati and Pittsburgh. The projection system kicks out the Bengals as the winner, but not by much: the projection is actually 11.7 wins for Cincinnati and 11.2 for Pittsburgh. The Steelers have the easier second-half schedule as well as the tiebreaker advantage, since they beat Cincinnati already. The Bengals need one of two things to happen: either they win in Pittsburgh, or the Steelers get upset by some weaker team so that they finish a game behind the Bengals and the tiebreaker doesn't matter.

But a Pittsburgh loss is not as unlikely as many think. The Steelers have not played well the last couple weeks, beating bad teams by small margins, and it isn't just because they are playing without quarterback Ben Roethlisberger. Opponents are leaving backs to block in max protect schemes, taking care of Pittsburgh's blitzes, and that's led to more complete passes and more passing yardage. If the Steelers don't fix this problem, they not only might get upset, they might lose to Cincinnati as well, even at home. The computer says the Bengals win the division, my gut says the Steelers, and it's going to be close either way.

Cleveland is building for the future, the early signs are positive, we know Charlie Frye will be starting at quarterback at some point this season, and they seem like a good bet to pull a surprise upset at some point. They're not going to the playoffs. The Ravens are a mess, the running game is totally shot and they no longer have a top ten defense. They're not going to the playoffs.

Projected order of finish: Cincinnati 12-4, Pittsburgh 11-5 (wild card), Cleveland 6-10, Baltimore 5-11

AFC South

This one is very simple.

Barring a total implosion, Indianapolis is going to have the top seed in the AFC. The Colts are not going to have a perfect season because they are vulnerable to teams that have strong tight ends (ranked 22nd in DVOA vs. tight ends) and can run the football (ranked 17th in DVOA against the run). They still have to play two teams that can do both (San Diego and Pittsburgh) and two teams that can run, although they don't have elite tight ends (Cincinnati and Seattle). They're going to lose one or two games, possibly more if they clinch very early and then sit the starters for a game or two.

The Jaguars may not be as good a team as their record indicates. (Doug Benc / Getty Images)

Jacksonville's defense has lucked out by playing a lot of teams that had lost their starting quarterbacks, and the Jaguars really are not as good as they seem. But they have the easiest schedule in the league in the second half, with only one game against a winning team when they host Indianapolis in Week 14. The only questions left at this point are will they get the fifth or sixth seed, and if they get the fifth seed, which airport is cheaper: T.F. Green or Logan?

Before the season I thought that Tennessee had the best chance of putting together a second-half run, with a young defense that would need time to learn how to play in the NFL and a much easier schedule late. Since both Jacksonville and Miami are better than I expected, I don't think this is very likely anymore.

Houston needs to fire everyone and then draft nothing but linemen (on both sides of the ball).

Projected order of finish: Indianapolis 14-2, Jacksonville 11-5 (wild card), Tennessee 5-11, Houston 4-12

AFC West

The AFC West teams were supposed to have hard games against the AFC East and easy games against the NFC East. It turned out to be the other way around, but that left things back where we expected them to be at the start of the season: this division is filled with good teams whose schedules will prevent more than one from going to the postseason. That adds yet another level to the interdivisional games between these four teams that have been playing each other for 45 years and feature fan bases that truly hate each other.

We've gotten a lot of flak because our power rankings have Denver lower than San Diego; in reality, the two teams are basically tied with Kansas City only slightly behind them. The DVOA projection system expects Chargers to decline a little bit in the second half, for a couple of reasons. Their offense has been inconsistent from game to game which is a negative indicator. The Chargers are also not as good passing on third downs as they are passing the rest of the time, a bit of a shocker considering the presence of Antonio Gates. While differences between third-down passing and total passing tend to disappear during the offseason, they don't have a tendency to disappear in the middle of the season. (Rushing is a different story, but we'll get to that with the Giants.)

The projection system also likes Kansas City's defense to get better in the second half, mostly because it's been better in recent weeks. The Chiefs have put up their two highest rated defensive efforts against Oakland and Miami (even after we adjust for the fact that Miami can't pass the ball).

Denver, meanwhile, projects to be the same, which means that all three teams project to be equal in the second half. The schedules are also fairly even. Denver only has three games left at home, while San Diego and Kansas City each get four. But Denver has just one out-of-division game left against winning team, at Dallas on Thanksgiving. San Diego still has to go to Indianapolis and Washington and host the possibly dangerous Dolphins. Kansas City still has to go to Dallas and the Meadowlands (to play the Giants) and host the possibly dangerous Patriots.

When everything else balances out, we end up with the simple fact that Denver has more wins now. That means they have the best chance to win the division. But all three teams have a shot, and the games will be a lot of fun to watch — and the teams will likely batter each other to the point where the second place team won't have a better record than Jacksonville or Cincinnati/Pittsburgh.

Oakland has a nice offense and gets to play spoiler, but it is difficult to see their defense improving to the point where they can make up the three games between themselves and the Broncos.

Projected order of finish: Denver 11-5, Kansas City 10-6, San Diego 9-7, Oakland 6-10

NFC East

Let's all be honest: Nobody saw the NFC East turning out like this, whether they predict the NFL using stats or scouting or goat entrails and the Oracle at Delphi.

We all know that any good team in the NFL can be suddenly decimated by injuries and any bad team can suddenly see its talent jell. The shortest schedule of any professional sport often means that a couple of lucky bounces will make the difference between a team that plays in January and one that goes home. Rather than trying to predict exact win-loss records in our book Pro Football Prospectus 2005, we instead projected the probability of each team finishing as a Super Bowl contender, playoff team, and so on.

According to our projections, there was a 95 percent chance that the 2005 Philadelphia Eagles would have a winning record, the highest of any team. But there's a reason we didn't say 100 percent -- it's always possible for everything to go wrong. And wouldn't you know it, that's what happened. All the T.O. nonsense, injuries to the team's most important players, the inexplicable collapse of the special teams, Jeremiah Trotter getting thrown out of the first game, the other three NFC East teams all turning it around at the same time ... the only thing that could have gone wrong but hasn't might be an injury to Brian Westbrook.

The other three teams will battle to win this division, and the projection system expects all three to decline. The biggest issue is what Bill James used to call the "plexiglass principle": teams which improve or worsen dramatically are likely to bounce back the following year. In the NFL, they're also likely to bounce back in the second half of the year. Not guaranteed, but likely.

There are a couple of other negative indicators for the Giants. Offenses that are successful converting third downs with the pass are more likely to be good in the second half than offenses that are successful converting third downs with the run. If other parts of the offense break down, those teams that can convert with passes on third-and-long are better able to blunt the damage and keep their offensive drives alive. Right now, DVOA ranks the Giants fourth in the league on third down runs and 29th on third down passes. (The only teams behind them are San Francisco, Houston, and Pittsburgh, which, to digress a bit, is another reason why the projection system thinks Cincinnati will win the AFC North.)

The Giants also cannot expect their special teams to keep playing at such a ridiculously high level. New York is in the top four in every area of special teams we measure: field goals, kickoffs, punts, kick returns, and punt returns. We've broken down play by play going back to 1998, and if the season ended today the Giants would have the most valuable special teams in the entire eight-year period. This table gives the estimated value of the top ten special teams from 1998-2005 in points per game, adjusted for weather and altitude ...

Top special teams

Season Team Value (points/game)

2005 Giants 5.3

2002 Saints 4.4

2005 Bills 3.5

2004 Bills 3.2

2001 Eagles 3.2

2000 Dolphins 3.0

1999 Panthers 2.9

2004 Saints 2.7

2000 Ravens 2.6

2002 Jets 2.6

That's probably not going to continue. But these negative indicators are balanced by two things the Giants have going in their favor. First, they're already one win up on the rest of the division. Second, nobody wants to talk about this for fear of being disrespectful to the victims of Hurricane Katrina, but they have the unfair advantage of playing nine home games this year.

How close is this race? I'm rounding off the projections since nobody can win 0.4 games in the NFL, but the difference between New York and Washington is less than a game: 10.1 projected wins for the Giants, 9.4 wins for the Redskins, and 9.0 for the Cowboys. And unlike in the AFC West, there's a very good chance that a wild card will come out of this division as well, which means we add on the complications of the wild card tiebreakers. Since Dallas still has to go to New York and to Washington, it is the most likely team to get shut out.

Projected order of finish: New York Giants 10-6, Washington 9-7 (wild card), Dallas 9-7, Philadelphia 7-9

NFC North

Our preseason projections ran the season over 1,000 times, and not a single NFC North team averaged eight wins. But they weren't going to all end up with losing records. One of these teams would probably get a few breaks, see a couple players improve, and stumble to a winning record along with the division title.

It looks like that team is Chicago. Most people wrote them off when Rex Grossman went down in the preseason, but Thomas Jones has been surprisingly good, the defense has been one of the league's best, and Kyle Orton has been just mediocre enough to not screw things up. The defense doesn't project to be quite as good in the second half — it sounds odd to say this, but the defense played better when the Bears went 1-3 in their first four games than when they went 4-0 in their last four — but they still project to be the best team in the division, and they have a two-game lead on everyone else.

Thomas Jones remains a threat in the backfield. (Chris Graythen / Getty Images)

Minnesota seems like a ship lost at sea — yes, the boat metaphors will never end — but there's a good chance they'll be better in the second half. Yes, Daunte Culpepper is gone, but Brad Johnson has some idea of what he's doing. It would be very rare to see an offense as good as the 2004 Vikings turn into an offense as bad as the Vikings from the beginning of 2005, and in fact the offense has been much better since the bye week. The Vikings are definitely a threat to pull an upset, perhaps when they host the Rams in Week 14, or when they host the Bears in the final game of the year. (Of course, by then the Bears might have clinched the division.)

Last year, the Carolina Panthers were 25th in our ratings despite being 1-7. The projection system said they would surprise people by going 4-4 over the final eight games. This year, the Green Bay Packers are 21st in our ratings despite being 1-7. The projection system says they will surprise people by going 4-4 over the final eight games. There's no way to expect any team to have a turnaround like last year's Panthers, fighting for a playoff spot until the final weekend. But 5-11? Green Bay might pull that off.

It turns out that Jeff Garcia is not going to descend from the mountain, Moses-like, to lead the Detroit Lions out of the wilderness of mediocrity and into the playoffs. When he played, he wasn't much better than Harrington, and this team has a lot of other problems besides just the quarterbacks. By the way, did we mention the five-year extension Matt Millen got for building a team to go 6-10 year after year?

Projected order of finish: Chicago 9-7, Minnesota 7-9, Detroit 6-10, Green Bay 5-11

NFC South

The DVOA system says that the AFC East is terrible and the NFC North is terrible. If a team plays against those two divisions, a system that adjusts based on strength of schedule is going to say that team is not as good as its record. Our power rankings have 6-2 Carolina ranked 12th and 6-2 Atlanta ranked 16th. To be honest, it doesn't matter, because the two teams are competing against each other for the division title and neither team's schedule gets much harder in the second half.

And yet, if the projection system is to be believed, the Panthers are about to run away from the Falcons. The numbers say that Carolina will have the best defense in football over the last eight weeks, and the offense will improve significantly as well. In this week's power rankings, I was somewhat skeptical of the Carolina bandwagon, but it turns out our projection system is pushing out 1.21 gigawatts of pure bandwagon power.

Carolina has great numbers when it comes to a number of important trends. Teams that have played better in the last few weeks are likely to continue to play better in the second half. Carolina qualifies on both offense and defense. Teams that haven't been as good this year as they were last year are likely to get better in the second half. Carolina qualifies on both offense and defense. Offenses that are successful converting third downs with the pass are more likely to be good in the second half than offenses that are successful converting third downs with the run. Carolina qualifies. A good defense against the run is more likely to carry over into the second half of the year than a good defense against the pass. Carolina qualifies.

The one wrench in the works is that Carolina has never beaten Atlanta with Michael Vick starting at quarterback. But how much does that say about their chances against Atlanta in the future? Here's a hint: remember last year, when the Rams owned the Seahawks? Now, remember who won the first game between those teams this year? The Seahawks went into St. Louis without both starting receivers and still beat the team that allegedly owned them.

Despite their recent woes, the projection system still likes Tampa Bay to finish with a winning record. My gut says differently and unless you're a die-hard Bucs fan, yours probably does too. It's hard for the projection system to fully account for just how much worse the Bucs' offense has been since Chris Simms took over as the starting quarterback.

The Saints just want to know where they are playing next year.

Projected order of finish: Carolina 12-4, Atlanta 10-6 (wild card), Tampa Bay 9-7, New Orleans 5-11

NFC West

We saved the easiest one for last. It would take a collapse of monumental proportions for the Seattle Seahawks to miss the playoffs. The Seahawks have the best record in the conference and a two-game lead on the rest of the division. They are on top of the NFC in our power rankings and in the DVOA projections for the final eight weeks (though Carolina is only slightly behind them). They still get to play San Francisco twice and the only two teams left on the schedule with winning records, the Giants and Colts, have to come to Seattle. By the way, have I mentioned the possibility that the Colts will have clinched the top seed in the AFC by Week 16, in which case they will happily hand Seattle another win? Seattle is going to finish with more than 10 wins for only the second time in franchise history, and it will probably win a playoff game for the first time since 1984. Super Bowl? They need the defense to take a step forward if they want to go that far.

The projection system sees St. Louis as a bad team that has won four games thanks to some good luck and an easy schedule. But it doesn't realize that Marc Bulger and Torry Holt have missed half the season and are coming back. The return of those two players could vault the Rams into the wild card race.

Remember when people thought Arizona would be the surprise playoff team of 2005? Ah, nostalgia. By the way, Reggie Bush jerseys go on sale in the Bay Area next week.

Projected order of finish: Seattle 12-4, St. Louis Rams 8-8, Arizona 4-12, San Francisco 3-13

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5074454

I would love this team to make the playoffs.

I would love for the Redskins to win the division.

I would love for them to be a wildcard team and have to travel to Carolina, Seattle, or Chicago.

But right now I am going to take it one game at a time.

I have been making predictions here and there that I shouldnt have. It just makes me even more nervous for each game.

I know what you mean Mr. Skinshead. I live in NY, so imagine all the crap I've been listening to lately. Even though Eli hasn't done that well, he's a God here.

As far as the experts go, just remember this. Before the season, most of them picked us to go 4-12. I guess we'd better give that extra win back to Dallas huh?

I dont think 9-7 will get you into the playoffs this year...

No one from the NFC North or West will reach 9-7, other than the two division leaders. The Saints are out of the playoffs. The Bucs are probably not good enough now to make it to the playoffs, and I think we could see a free-fall from them. Carolina should win that divison, and Atlanta should get second, which will earn them a wildcard. Therefore, the last playoff spot comes down to the three NFC east teams that don't win the division. If 9-7 is good enough to get us into second place, which it very well might based on the strength of schedule of the Eagles and Cowboys, then we will be in the playoffs.

If we beat the Bucs this week, we will almost certainly assure ourselves of a higher placement finish then they. This is truly a two-gamer tomorrow. Cowboys at home is the most imporant game of the season... If we win that one, not only is that an extra loss in their columb, but it basically counts as two wins in our column, as we will have assured ourselves of having the tiebreaker over them. Hopefully, Philly will be done by Week 17...

And advancing past the first round is another thing, however.

So the skins go 5-3 over the first half of the season, then have a significantly easier schedule for the second half, and are predicted to do worse? Strange how none of the media seems to get that the skins will likely finish with 10+ wins.

I like the fact that the media idots don't take us seriously.....we get to sneak up on teams each and every week.

has it. make sme glad when i see all the espn "experts" pick against us. just gives me more of a feeling that we are going to win

Archived