Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Skins are only a good TEAM, but thats alright.

PREDICTOR

If I had my way, the Redskins would be built much like the Chicago Bears. Drafting defensive linemen and going out into free agency to find pass rushers. Focusing on being the best defensive team in the league because you can stop the run and pressure the QB..and terrorize offenses.

On offense, they would play power football, and just pound the football until at the end of the game the other team would be unmercifully tired, beaten, and defeated. In fact, when teams found the Skins on the Schedule, guys would wince in pain because they know its going to be a rough game, and they will be punished and physically beat up for days after. QB's would have nightmares BEFORE AND AFTER the game.

Thats my team...at least thats my wish. But thats not what we have.

What we have is a good, solid team, albeit a team nobody really fears. We play sound, fundamental football, albeit we make a lot of penalties and fumbles. We play good defense most of the time, albeit that we give up BIG plays every game and usually must rely on drops or overthrows in order to stop a team.

This team can compete for a playoff spot for this reason: they are a system team...both on offense and defense. Take one player out....doesn't matter who...and somebody else can replace him and do pretty much as well. Take out Portis, and Betts can still run the football for 68 or 78 yards....just like Clinton.

Take Brunell out, and realistically the Skins could still score 2 TD's per game. For all the hype of Brunell the Skins aren't scoring TD's. Therefore, whether Ramsey or Brunell is your favorite, it really wouldn't matter, because this team hasn't score more than about 2 TD's per game this year not counting the San Fran game.

Take out any defensive player....and actually we have taken out players...and it doesn't matter. Somebody else replaces them on an equal level. This is because its the SYSTEM thats important and not the PLAYERS.

I like Star players....I like having a great defense where 5 guys go to the pro bowl and one guy makes 8 interceptions and another guy has 15 sacks. But thats not the Redskins. We are more likely to NOT have interceptions and NOT have sacks because our defense is a bend but not break defense. When the big play is needed, we can come up with it. Although its never the same hero twice.

This is a good team at this point. I have gotten over the fact that its not going to be a GREAT......DOMINATING...and.... FEARED team. Its just not. But it IS going to be a playoff team with the current system in place because the players appear to have finally BOUGHT INTO the system. This is most evident when Lavar speaks out. He use to complain about defensive coordinators, salaries, lack of playing time, etc. etc. Now, suddenly Lavar "GETS IT". He speaks of trying to find a place to "fit in"...and the word TEAM is used just about every single time a Redskins players speaks in front of a microphone. Have you noticed that also? The word TEAM seems to be in more sentences than periods.

I have a lot of respect for the TEAM at this point. I don't know if they will win this weekend, because it is a road game, and I still wish they would draft defensive linemen and wish they would have let Portis become a racehorse and use his skills properly....but now that we are what we are....I'll continue to hope that they can learn how to be more physical and punish other teams for 3 hours on the field. That seems more reasonable at this point.

I love the Redskins win or lose...and I hope they make the playoffs by only being GOOD.

If I had my way, the Redskins would be built much like the Chicago Bears. Drafting defensive linemen and going out into free agency to find pass rushers. Focusing on being the best defensive team in the league because you can stop the run and pressure the QB..and terrorize offenses.

On offense, they would play power football, and just pound the football until at the end of the game the other team would be unmercifully tired, beaten, and defeated. In fact, when teams found the Skins on the Schedule, guys would wince in pain because they know its going to be a rough game, and they will be punished and physically beat up for days after. QB's would have nightmares BEFORE AND AFTER the game.

What we have is a good, solid team, albeit a team nobody really fears. We play sound, fundamental football, albeit we make a lot of penalties and fumbles. We play good defense most of the time, albeit that we give up BIG plays every game and usually must rely on drops or overthrows in order to stop a team.

This team can compete for a playoff spot for this reason: they are a system team...both on offense and defense. Take one player out....doesn't matter who...and somebody else can replace him and do pretty much as well. Take out Portis, and Betts can still run the football for 68 or 78 yards....just like Clinton.

Take Brunell out, and realistically the Skins could still score 2 TD's per game. For all the hype of Brunell the Skins aren't scoring TD's. Therefore, whether Ramsey or Brunell is your favorite, it really wouldn't matter, because this team hasn't score more than about 2 TD's per game this year not counting the San Fran game.

Take out any defensive player....and actually we have taken out players...and it doesn't matter. Somebody else replaces them on an equal level. This is because its the SYSTEM thats important and not the PLAYERS.

I like Star players....I like having a great defense where 5 guys go to the pro bowl and one guy makes 8 interceptions and another guy has 15 sacks. But thats not the Redskins. We are more likely to NOT have interceptions and NOT have sacks because our defense is a bend but not break defense. When the big play is needed, we can come up with it. Although its never the same hero twice.

This is a good team at this point. I have gotten over the fact that its not going to be a GREAT......DOMINATING...and.... FEARED team. Its just not. But it IS going to be a playoff team with the current system in place because the players appear to have finally BOUGHT INTO the system. This is most evident when Lavar speaks out. He use to complain about defensive coordinators, salaries, lack of playing time, etc. etc. Now, suddenly Lavar "GETS IT". He speaks of trying to find a place to "fit in"...and the word TEAM is used just about every single time a Redskins players speaks in front of a microphone. Have you noticed that also? The word TEAM seems to be in more sentences than periods.

I have a lot of respect for the TEAM at this point. I don't know if they will win this weekend, because it is a road game, and I still wish they would draft defensive linemen and wish they would have let Portis become a racehorse and use his skills properly....but now that we are what we are....I'll continue to hope that they can learn how to be more physical and punish other teams for 3 hours on the field. That seems more reasonable at this point.

I love the Redskins win or lose...and I hope they make the playoffs by only being GOOD.

i believe we scored three TDs against the Chiefs when we lost 28-21 :laugh:

HATER

You make a few good points but I have to argue the fact that every player on the team is replaceable. The reason we have been winning games is because we aren't losing to ourselves. With Brunell at QB, we have a leader who can manage the game. He's not a guy who will carry the team like Peyton, but he is smart enough to not consistently cost us the game. Put Ramsey in there and it's a fact that our chances of losing games on our own go up. Take Portis out, and you lose a level in pass protection when the back is asked to stay back and protect the QB. Take Griffin out and the linebackers can't shoot the gaps as easily as you've already seen this season. Take Springs out and we don't blitz as much and use our linebackers and safeties to assist in coverage. Take Samuels out (Giants game) and Brunell gets sacked more than usual.

So, are our coaches good enough to make things work when people are hurt? Yes. Are we the same team? No.

One more note. Everyone who argues that Portis isn't being utilized correctly and is being used as a powerback (this includes you predictor), you need to get off it. It's not the playcalling and how he's being used that's causing him to not be as effective as we all 'think' he can be. What is power running by definition? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believed it to be running between the tackles, or behind the guards. Well, fact is, 38% of our running plays have been either between the tackles or behind the guards. Believe it or not, that's a league low when it comes to that stat.

So, obviously it's not how he's being used. What I'm seeing more of is that the O-line is not giving him the holes that you see when Priest, Alexander, or Tomlinson hit the line. Our line has really shored up its pass-protection, now it needs to get on task to working together to bully over defenses during run plays.

Actually I don't see a reason to hate on the guy.. he did state they are a good team and he is realizing that overall the system is more important then the individual players. All he is missing is the patience.

You see building a an effective power team that instills fear takes time. The bears didn't get that good defense overnight, and frankly they had to sacrifice the Offense to get the D they have. Gibbs and Williams are in the middle of season two. Somewhere they decided to build the team as a system not as individual parts. Gibbs knew he needed a Solid Defense to start building his system and let Williams pull in as many solid team players as we could afford.. all Gibbs took was a QB and a Running back and an H-back in the draft. We had a shut down Defense, that hardly bent or broke.. but the offense looked like it wasn't enough of the focus in the off-season.

Now we lose two key defensive players and those holes had to be filled. Now, we lost them thanks to the salary cap, free agency and Snyder's past spending habits. To fully right the ship, Gibb's has to right the budget as well. So we fill the gaps through the draft..CB and LB and Gibbs gets the rest on offense. Pick up a center, 2 new receivers and use the draft for the future, draft a future QB and then a couple RBs who can also be used on ST.

The have now built a solid foundations and looking at the team, the holes that need to be filled have gotten smaller. Whose to say we don't go looking for a Pass-rusher, Looking for O-line man that can push the pile better? Before you give up on a power D or a punishing running game.. give it another year or two. Gibbs and Williams aren't done yet, and while the season maybe better then many expected.. it's not good enough for Gibbs

I think Portis is being utilized effectively. They've taken advantage of his pass blocking and recieving abilities (almost as big a deal as his speed which they do utilize by running outside over 60% of the time). I think Portis is developing into a complete back.

I think Brunell is clearly better than Ramsey (this is easily verified by statistics).

I think our defense is feared.

Other than that I agree with you, for the most part.

First of all we beat the Bears. Second, they have no power offense. Third, why don't you become a Bears fan if you love their system so much. They deserve you.

I've read way too many gripes you post about the 'Skins. Is there anything you like about the team you swear to be a fan of? I don't have blinders on, but at least I support my team.

Man you are not looking at the facts and here are the facts.

Skins so far have played the most difficult schedule of all the NFC east teams....Not only that all of their defeats have come at probably the worse stadiums a team can play, KC, Denver, NY.

The Skins are the only team with a winning record that have a -9 turnover ration, second worse in the league. You give that to the Giants, Turds or Eagles and I bet you they all have losing records right now. Funny thing is as bad as we played in NY it was the turnovers and drop balls that killed us because for the entire first half, even giving up the ball twice in our own end, NY had to settle with fieldgoals. Don't see this happening Xmas eve.

We are the only team that has outplayed Denver in Denver. That to me is signigicant because no other team has come close to doing that. SD-blownout, KC-blownout, Eagles-blownout etc. This team has proven with their games in KC, Dallas, and Denver that can play well on the road. The rest of the NFC east can't say that. Hell man the Giants were up 4 points to the 49s deap in the 3rd quarter...lol

Arrington is back and when we get Griffin and the rest of the OL healthy we will be very hard to beat....stay tune.

Actually I don't see a reason to hate on the guy..

I do. Has everyone forgotten his hate-filled posts after a loss? Predictor typically only posts after a loss and spews hate. We rarely see him post at any other time. He's just a troll. Don't feed him.

:troll:

Why do you root for the Redskins? You seem to bash them all the time. Are you a masochist? Can you not be happy?

An Eagles fan smoking out a negative poster on a Redskins board...hmmm...PREDICTOR...I guess the charade is over.

But about your point. When was the last time the Bears went to the playoffs?

Why would we ever want to emulate at team like that?

Archived