Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Church: Anti-war sermon imperils tax status

Destino

Now, I stopped going to Sunday School in 5th grade, but I do seem to remember something about "Thou Shall Not Kill" ... and there was also something about turning the other cheek.

We definitely didn't spend much time on the Crusades.

Well you shouldn't have a problem with us protecting america by any means neccessary since you don't embrace the thou shall not kill

Will we revoke the tax exempt status of the next church that during an election cycle tells the press they will not be giving communion to canidate X because he is pro choice? Ah I see, that's not political. (sarcasm)

Actually thats not political because they are following the thou shall not kill part of scripture.

I think you will find they have come down on many churches that have supported the GOP .

Personally I am against churches being political,however the lines DO blur once you come to certain issues.

True but turn a blind eye when politicians (Kerry at the last minute) go to black churches with Jesse Jackson to get contributions and voters.

How many baptist churches in the south will lose their status when one of the fake Revs shows up to campaign next fall?

My guess is ZERO.

Bingo, you're all right Kilmer ;)

As everyone knows, I am against the melding of church and state, but this is completely over the top. There were numerous instances during this past election when the other cheek was turned because it was Bush supporting, but that it STILL not the issue.

Personally, I don't think religious organizations SHOULD be tax exempt. The reason being is that they do not have to make their earnings public like every other tax exempt company in the US. I seem to remember the Catholic Churches refusal to disclose financial holdings in the Boston case, so why should they be any different from anyone else?

Positions are OK,when you endorse or call for a vote against specific canidates is where they draw the line .

With IRS it is wherever they feel like usually ;)

As I read the article, the visiting pastor didn't try to tell anyone who to vote for, he just spoke against policies of the current Administration.

If a preacher has a tax exempt Church and uses that Church to raise funds and then uses those funds to support candidates in the media (but not from his pulpit), is that legal?

There were a few churches in the last election that were telling their members WHO to vote for (this was usually Bush), and even encouraging them to vote more then once if they were able to do so in more then one state. Also, churches are often giving sermons that would be considered "pro-war" - how many of these churches are being investigated by the IRS?

If you are going to allow preachers and pastors to give a sermon that supports the war and consider that allowable, then you have to do the same for those who do not support the war. Or keep the government's business out of the church.

But yeah, I always found it odd for a church to be pro-WAR.

As I read the article, the visiting pastor didn't try to tell anyone who to vote for, he just spoke against policies of the current Administration.

If a preacher has a tax exempt Church and uses that Church to raise funds and then uses those funds to support candidates in the media (but not from his pulpit), is that legal?

That goes back to the IRS drawing the line where they wish.

To answer your question: It should be ilegal imo ,Supporting issues is fine.

But I feel no church leader should take a public stand on a canidate,only on issues.

It seems pretty murky to me. Contributions to churces that are used for established charitable work should be tax exempt, but I wonder if the blanket tax exemption for churches doesn't need to be dumped.

I think they need to look at some of the instances where churches have gone beyond worship and turned into realtors and entertainers.

Some of the different churches holdings are unbelievable.

Archived