Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Philip Rivers... this is a wild one.

rvan1

before i start, let me say im a jason campbell fan, and im only posing a theoretical question to see get some opinions.

With Brunells career only having another year or two (possibly more, but 1-2 more seasons is probably a safe bet), and Patrick Ramsey seemingly on his way way out, how would you feel if the redskins traded for Philip Rivers (who is on his way out of SD) this offseason?

Let me reiterate that I like Campbell, but its worrysome that the Redskins will seemingly be putting the whole future into him. I would like to see Rivers/Campbell compete in camp for a starting job. Rivers has had a few seasons to develop (not rushed in) and could be an amazing asset. And, at very least, a lot of security.

Well since I go to NC State, I have to agree with you. I wouldn't mind seeing Rivers here in the future. Hate to see Patrick go in a way, but I want to see him start somewhere in the AFC and succeed. And I would definitely trash Campbell for Rivers... sorry Campbell fans, I can't help it, I go to NC State.

Rivers is going to cost to much for us to even consider but you do make a good point with Ramsey probably gone after this year and Brunell with probably only a couple of years left if that we will need to start looking for a QB.

i think we could land him for a second round pick... probably be a bidding war though...

i'm still not convinced rivers' sidearm delivery will work in the nfl....it's too easy to bat down, with these quicker/faster/more athletic players...

but maybe i'll be proven wrong

that is a valid concern.... it didnt work well for jeff george, but neither did 6th grade math. :laugh:

Why? I mean, neither Campbell or Rivers has played a down in the NFL -- they are an equal quantity at this point. I'd rather have Campbell, because he's Gibbs' guy. That's just me though.

its the fact that he hasnt played a down that worries me... id like a little security, before we end up like the jets, scrambling...

I'm an NC state fan and would love Rivers here, but I simply don't see it happening. You have to remember that Campbell was hand picked by Gibbs.

...from the class of 2004. its true that he's gibbs future guy, but he could seek security elsewhere

So you're saying we should have an insurance policy consisting of an unproven quarterback in case our current unproven quarterback doesn't pan out? Sorry, I'll pass.

maybe not so much as insurance policy as another option.

Even if I liked this idea, and I don't, it is too much money tied up in the QB position. Frankly, I think we have too much tied up there now.

thats a good point. we will need to get replacements when brunell retires and if ramsey leaves

Well I see this like any other deal. What's the point of speculation on whether you're going to do it unless the terms of the deal are clear? If we are going to trade Ade Jimoh for Rivers, then sure, I'd be willing to make the trade; but if we're going to trade CP or some else that's of similar value, then I'm not for it. I think your question is more along the lines of whether we'd want to have Rivers on the field. That's different from saying whether we'd want to trade for him.

Well I see this like any other deal. What's the point of speculation on whether you're going to do it unless the terms of the deal are clear? If we are going to trade Ade Jimoh for Rivers, then sure, I'd be willing to make the trade; but if we're going to trade CP or some else that's of similar value, then I'm not for it. I think your question is more along the lines of whether we'd want to have Rivers on the field. That's different from saying whether we'd want to trade for him.

yeah i understand that... my question would be more along the lines of would you want Rivers to come in and compete with Campbell for the starting job, given Rivers' outstanding college career and 2 seasons learning the NFL system.

Archived