Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

we shouldve drafted heath miller over jason campbell

redskin for life

Nope, I think you're wrong.

Many are starting to say that drafting a TE at all in the first round is a waste. It seems that position is getting flooded with talent and in the next couple years great TE's will probably be around in 2nd and 3rd rounds or even later.

Man, sit back and enjoy the fact we might be sitting on a franchise QB. Do you know how important that is in the NFL. Teams would trade 3 first rounders for that. It's always worth a shot.

This post is dead on in my opinon, and politely stated as well (as opposed to the people who seem more and more prone to just responding with "Stupid! Stupid!"). Heath Miller is a great TE, but TEs are not going to be typically worth that high of a pick.

That said, I wish they had been able to get Heath Miller with a lower pick. And, sinc ethey weren't able to, I'll hope that they can get Jeff King. Chris Cooley is not a tight end, and I don't believe in Royal. Koz is apparently a blocking liability.

This post is dead on in my opinon, and politely stated as well (as opposed to the people who seem more and more prone to just responding with "Stupid! Stupid!"). Heath Miller is a great TE, but TEs are not going to be typically worth that high of a pick.

That said, I wish they had been able to get Heath Miller with a lower pick. And, sinc ethey weren't able to, I'll hope that they can get Jeff King. Chris Cooley is not a tight end, and I don't believe in Royal. Koz is apparently a blocking liability.

As much as I don't like this deal, at least we weren't like Bradway and the Jets who traded their pick for a veteran TE who didn't even win the starting job. :applause: :laugh:

drafting a "QB OF THE FUTURE" is such a crap shoot, I'd rather just pick up a competant veteran on any given year. Drafting defense in the first round usually pans out and we need some help on that side of the ball, and I'm just saying it sure would be nice having that first rounder back.

I wanted Miller with the pick and told everyone he blocks his tailoff. Miller at TE with Cooley at H-Back would have been devasting for opposing defenses. Having 2 sure handed basically Wr's playing Te where they excell blocking has well would have been great. Opposing defenses could have never covered our base set unless they went into nickel or dime opening up running lanes for Portis. It would have helped out the running game and passing game bigtime. We would have good quality depth in Royal and Sellers.

Cambell is somebody i've followed closely the kid always had problems reading defenses and was a very average QB until his senior year. His senior year he had a great supporting cast in a team that went undefeated. No defenses ever keyed on him they always keyed on the great running game with Cadilac and Ronnie Brown leading the way. JC made a living off of playaction his sr year because of those 2 backs..

JC did'nt do anything to change my opinion in the preseason he still looked confused with coverages. I'm not saying he won't become a good QB but he has about has much of a chance has Ramsey to succeed. Ramsey was a better college player and showed me more in his rookie preseason then JC did. I just hope that we keep PR thru next year MB could drop off at anytime and i'd rather have 2 young talented QB's with potential to succeed then just 1. And hopefully 1 of those 2 can develop into our franchise Qb. I think Gibbs thinks the same way I do and won't trade PR especially knowing you need 3 QB's.

I disagree with most of this. I followed him throughout his whole career as well. Regardless of who was in the backfield he made the plays and had a high percentage of completions. He has never had problems reading defenses but was subjected to 4 different offense coordinators and schemes.

As some one posted here a while back the play of JC is what led them to the Sugar Bowl victory over VA Tech last year as the running game was pretty much shut down. Also it was the clutch 4 down final drive pass that he made that won the LSU game for AU last year.

JC is anything but average.

It's very rare for a QB to be successful w/ the team that drafts them.

Actually, it is very rare that a talented QB will change teams and be successful. Teams are pretty careful to lock up franchise QBs. Also, of the top 6 QBs in the league, 5 of them were drafted by their team.

Drafting a QB is about as scattershot as any other position, yet it is probably the most important position on the field, which is why a miss hurts so bad. Also, you can only really develop one at a time, since you can only start one. (Who gets most of the reps in practice) So, when you think you can get a talented QB, you go after him. That's especially true now that FA is out there, and you can't take years to develop someone.

We had just lost Smoot and Pierce, we were very thin and questionable at WR and our D-line consists of Griffin and that's it; not to mention Royal has hands of stone.

And we drafted a CB and two LBs, one of which could eventually start at MLB. Problem?

As for Royal, he does what he's asked to do, and that's block people. We have Cooley and Sellars to catch passes.

Jason

I disagree with most of this. I followed him throughout his whole career as well. Regardless of who was in the backfield he made the plays and had a high percentage of completions. He has never had problems reading defenses but was subjected to 4 different offense coordinators and schemes.

As some one posted here a while back the play of JC is what led them to the Sugar Bowl victory over VA Tech last year as the running game was pretty much shut down. Also it was the clutch 4 down final drive pass that he made that won the LSU game for AU last year.

JC is anything but average.

Listen i'm not here to bash or even question the pick but its 50-50 whether he becomes a good pro,thats a fact. I'm a draftnic I watch tons and tons of professional and college football and plan to have my own draftsite atleast online within the next few years. The kid had trouble reading defenses up until his Senior year and when he did have a very good year it was with 2 top 5 draftpics at RB and a hellva team.

In his defense he did have 4 different o-cordinators and played outstanding at the senior bowl practices.

I just think thier are alot of Qb's I liked better because of where they'd be drafted. I thought Orton would be a steal and was clamoring for him after trading down slightly into the 3rd. I told everyone Canty would be a steal late in the draft because of his injury he was gonna drop. I told everyone Heath Miller would be great and was a very good runblocker most said he sucked has a blocker, now look.

I know that if I woulda been GM of this team atleast draftwise we would be well off right off with a 1st rounder in next years draft. We woulda had d-line talent and a young qb to groom. Not trying to toot my own horn or sound arrogant its just the thruth.

I sometimes wonder what we scout sometimes like Manuel White for example this guy ran the ball and was a very good pass catcher but sucked has a blocker and was undersized to be a H-Back. He was highly thought of by some then completely laid a egg at the senior bowl practices. Most people had him a 7th rounder or going undrafted after that week of practices so what do we do draft him in the 4th to be a H-Back.

I just think thier are alot of Qb's I liked better because of where they'd be drafted. I thought Orton would be a steal and was clamoring for him after trading down slightly into the 3rd. I told everyone Canty would be a steal late in the draft because of his injury he was gonna drop. I told everyone Heath Miller would be great and was a very good runblocker most said he sucked has a blocker, now look.

Easy to say that in retrospect, but you never know how the draft is going to come down. You don't know where certain players are going to end up in the draft. Also, judging a player is more than just how they played on the field. That's why they have Senior Bowls and combines. What you did in college only tells some of the story. From what I heard, while Campbell didn't shoot the lights out, he seems to know how to manage a game, he can move a bit in the pocket, and can make clutch throws when he needs to. That's really all I need to know.

Back to the subject, I think QB was much more of a need than TE on this team.

Jason

Another dumb post. What about Chris Cooley??? Heath Miller would have been a wasted pick. Like we need another H-back/Tight end.

Campbell is the future, think starting QB is two years.

No, what about Robert Royal? Miller would have played TE here, instead of Royal, who dropped about 5 balls by my count on Sunday. Cooley and Miller, that would have been nice.

Archived