Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

we shouldve drafted heath miller over jason campbell

redskin for life

There are a LOT of things we should have done other than draft Cambell.

He could pan out to be a great QB, but we still needlessly gave up draft picks to draft a guy to be a 3rd stringer when we clearly have other needs that should have been tended to first.

As bad as we were last year, it was inexcusable to give up a future 1st round pick for a late first round pick only to draft a QB.

my point exactly

As bad as we were last year, it was inexcusable to give up a future 1st round pick for a late first round pick only to draft a QB.

Ah-ha, but maybe Gibbs and the offensive staff new something we didn't, i.e. that Brunell's injury was fully healed and that he still had some gas in the tank.

I wanted Miller with the pick and told everyone he blocks his tailoff. Miller at TE with Cooley at H-Back would have been devasting for opposing defenses. Having 2 sure handed basically Wr's playing Te where they excell blocking has well would have been great. Opposing defenses could have never covered our base set unless they went into nickel or dime opening up running lanes for Portis. It would have helped out the running game and passing game bigtime. We would have good quality depth in Royal and Sellers.

Cambell is somebody i've followed closely the kid always had problems reading defenses and was a very average QB until his senior year. His senior year he had a great supporting cast in a team that went undefeated. No defenses ever keyed on him they always keyed on the great running game with Cadilac and Ronnie Brown leading the way. JC made a living off of playaction his sr year because of those 2 backs..

JC did'nt do anything to change my opinion in the preseason he still looked confused with coverages. I'm not saying he won't become a good QB but he has about has much of a chance has Ramsey to succeed. Ramsey was a better college player and showed me more in his rookie preseason then JC did. I just hope that we keep PR thru next year MB could drop off at anytime and i'd rather have 2 young talented QB's with potential to succeed then just 1. And hopefully 1 of those 2 can develop into our franchise Qb. I think Gibbs thinks the same way I do and won't trade PR especially knowing you need 3 QB's.

He could pan out to be a great QB, but we still needlessly gave up draft picks to draft a guy to be a 3rd stringer when we clearly have other needs that should have been tended to first.

Going back to the mentality of the draft, I disagree with you. We had a lot of question marks at the QB position going into the draft. Is Ramsey going to be any better than what he's shown so far in his career? Is Brunell as bad as he was last season? Do you think Tim Hasslebeck is the future? Obviously, the coaching staff didn't like the answers they were seeing, and saw an opportunity to grab a kid that they liked.

Also, drafting for need can be setting yourself up for failure. (i.e. Andre Johnson) There were a lot of people who really questioned Buffalo picking McGahee in the first round, considering his injury (which would guarantee that he'd be out a year), and that they had Travis Henry. In the end, tho, they made out on that deal.

The only thing I was really disappointed in the draft was that they didn't get any depth in the d-line. Otherwise, I thought they did pretty well. You don't nessicarily get players who can help you now, but also down the road. Eventually, you are going to have to backfill positions when players leave and others are promoted, I thought they did a decent job of doing that last year and this year.

Jason

Miller looks like the real deal, but Gibbs obviously isn't impressed by Ramsey and thought we still needed our future qb. And we had more pressing needs than TE anyway -- like a defensive end. Oh that's right, there's a rule at redskins park against drafting defensive lineman high.

There are a LOT of things we should have done other than draft Cambell.

Please.

Joe Bugel said their draft rating for Campbell equaled the rating they gave Ben Roethlisberger in the previous draft. And they had Big Ben rated #1 overall, over Manning and Rivers.

If you can get a guy you have rated that highly at the 25th pick, you make the move. It's a no brainer.

You get him into camp and enjoy the luxury of getting a one year head start on grooming your QB of the future.

The bottom line is that we'll go into next season with a potential franchise QB ready to step in if Brunell goes down.

That would not be the case had they not made the move they did.

I'm just glad the coaching staff wasn't of the same opinion as you and didn't leave themselves stuck with Brunell and Ramsey as their only options next year and the year after that.

That's a sure fire way to kill a team.

At that point, it doesn't make a friggin difference who are 3rd or 4th round pick was because the team's going nowhere without some juice at the QB position.

I dont know if the original poster is taking anything away from Campbell. I agree we obviously have a lot invested in him and he will get his shot to be the hero of DC. But we COULD use a nice young blocking and catching TE like Miller to go along with Cooley. We shouldn't have traded up for him though.

We drafted Campbell at exactly the right time. Brunell will be a quality starter for probably two years (this and next year), and then after that, Campbell will be in a prime position to take over the helm. Look at what sitting for a year did to Carson Palmer - he's arguably been the best quarterback in the league this season. Gibbs isn't just trying to win one superbowl now - he is trying to win a string of superbowls down the road, even after he retires.

Campbell is said by many NFL scouts and experts (not those in the media who deem themselves experts) to be the most talented quarterback with the best physical attributes in the NFL, and the QB who is most likely to translate his college skills to the pro game. Gibbs' plan wasn't to win the superbowl in Year 2, despite the "win now" mentality of Skins fans. Heath Miller is a good tight end, but he isn't even in the top 7 or so in his position. Jason Campbell will play by far a much more important role; he will have the ball in his hands on every play, unlike the tight end's 7 or so opportunities to make a play. Campbell is our future - you can't say that about any tight end in this league.

And we also have Chris Cooley

Going back to the mentality of the draft, I disagree with you. We had a lot of question marks at the QB position going into the draft. Is Ramsey going to be any better than what he's shown so far in his career? Is Brunell as bad as he was last season? Do you think Tim Hasslebeck is the future? Obviously, the coaching staff didn't like the answers they were seeing, and saw an opportunity to grab a kid that they liked.

Also, drafting for need can be setting yourself up for failure. (i.e. Andre Johnson) There were a lot of people who really questioned Buffalo picking McGahee in the first round, considering his injury (which would guarantee that he'd be out a year), and that they had Travis Henry. In the end, tho, they made out on that deal.

The only thing I was really disappointed in the draft was that they didn't get any depth in the d-line. Otherwise, I thought they did pretty well. You don't nessicarily get players who can help you now, but also down the road. Eventually, you are going to have to backfill positions when players leave and others are promoted, I thought they did a decent job of doing that last year and this year.

Jason

It's very rare for a QB to be successful w/ the team that drafts them. We had just lost Smoot and Pierce, we were very thin and questionable at WR and our D-line consists of Griffin and that's it; not to mention Royal has hands of stone.

Not to say we should draft Miller, I just think the move in general was an awful move and I believe we would have been better off to have just stuck w/ the pick. On any given year you can find a QB to plug in who could do wonders for the team. And like I said, as awful as we were last year, to trade a future first round pick for the 25th pick in the draft is quite a gamble, and then to spend it on a player who you hope doesn't even see the field for 2 or 3 years is a needless gamble. We could have potentially handed Denver the #1 pick in the draft with that move, I didn't see the sense in it on draft day, I still don't see the sense in it and I don't think it was worth the gamble in the least. ESPECIALLY for a QB, a position that consistantly washes out.

you are absolutely right. but were gonna have to go through the growing pains. thats if he pans out at all. u never know. thats why im in favor of drafting a sure thing like a heath miller. but were stuck like this for awhile so what do we do with our second rounder. too many holes, gave up too much for something that MIGHT help us down the road

There is no such thing as a "sure thing" in the NFL draft. There have been too many busts coming out into the NFL for this point to have any validity. With that being said, I'll will accept what Joe Gibbs did because I know he put in countless hours of research into this matter. He didn't just watch one football game and say that Campbell is a "sure thing". :2cents:

Please.

Joe Bugel said their draft rating for Campbell equaled the rating they gave Ben Roethlisberger in the previous draft. And they had Big Ben rated #1 overall, over Manning and Rivers.

The bottom line is that we'll go into next season with a potential QB of the future ready to step in if Brunell goes down.

That would not be the case had they not made the move they did.

I'm just glad the coaching staff wasn't of the same opinion as you and didn't leave themselves stuck with Brunell and Ramsey as their only options next year and the year after that.

That's a sure fire way to kill a team.

At that point, it doesn't make a friggin difference who are 3rd or 4th round pick was because the team's going nowhere without some juice at the QB position.

THATS WHAT SCARES ME ABOUT THE GUYS PICKING FOR US. Please JC was no where near the prospect of Manning or Big Ben or Rivers. Those guys won games with thier arm consistently for multiple years and blasted JC's numbers from 1 good year I repeat 1 good year with a hellva running game and overall team.

JC can't touch either of those 3 has a prospect. I like JC he has everything size,strenght,arm strenght and he's smart. The biggest thing for him will be can he read defenses consistently especially on this level after struggling with it in college. And can he win games with his arm without a Running game..

THATS WHAT SCARES ME ABOUT THE GUYS PICKING FOR US. Please JC was no where near the prospect of Manning or Big Ben or Rivers. Those guys won games with thier arm consistently for multiple years and blasted JC's numbers from 1 good year I repeat 1 good year with a hellva running game and overall team.

JC can't touch either of those 3 has a prospect. I like JC he has everything size,strenght,arm strenght and he's smart. The biggest thing for him will be can he read defenses consistently especially on this level after struggling with it in college. And can he win games with his arm without a Running game..

Campbell had 4 different offensive coordinators in college. The other guys didn't. That's a major handicap for a QB when it comes to the passing game and knowing where his receivers will be.

So obviously his numbers weren't as good as the others.

I think he had more than enough plusses to do the deal the Redskins did.

Because of some minor problems that lowered Campbell's value, they have a chance to come away with a young stud QB without having to suffer through a 3-13 season and get the 3rd pick in the draft or something.

It's a no brainer move to possibly come away with a steal like that.

There is no such thing as a "sure thing" in the NFL draft. There have been too many busts coming out into the NFL for this point to have any validity. With that being said, I'll will accept what Joe Gibbs did because I know he put in countless hours of research into this matter. He didn't just watch one football game and say that Campbell is a "sure thing". :2cents:

hes been playing like that the whole season, and from what i can see he is doing what hes supposed to and thats what u expect from the highest tight end rated and drafted, and he was there to pick

I dont know if the original poster is taking anything away from Campbell. I agree we obviously have a lot invested in him and he will get his shot to be the hero of DC. But we COULD use a nice young blocking and catching TE like Miller to go along with Cooley. We shouldn't have traded up for him though.

im not taking anything away from campbell. i actually think he'll be aright, im just saying we need depth at other positions and starters in a few, and heath couldve started this year and years to come, and we wouldnt have to worry about that position for the immediate future

It's very rare for a QB to be successful w/ the team that drafts them.

What??

Peyton Manning, Ben Rothliesberger, Chad Pennington, Byron Leftwhich, Daunte Culpepper, Carson Palmer, Tom Brady, Drew Brees, Donovan McFlabb, Steve McNair, Joe Montana, Joe Thiesmann, Sammy Baugh, Jim McMahon, Jim Kelly, Dan Marino, Boomer Esiason, Troy Aikman, Neil O'Donnell, Drew Bledsoe, Mark Rypien, and others would argue that with you...

What??

Peyton Manning, Ben Rothliesberger, Chad Pennington, Byron Leftwhich, Daunte Culpepper, Carson Palmer, Tom Brady, Drew Brees, Donovan McFlabb, Steve McNair, Joe Montana, Joe Thiesmann, Sammy Baugh, Jim McMahon, Jim Kelly, Dan Marino, Boomer Esiason, Troy Aikman, Neil O'Donnell, Drew Bledsoe, Mark Rypien, and others would argue that with you...

Take a look at all of the QBs that have been drafted in the first round in the past 10 years and check back w/ me. We'll compare notes ;)

Archived