Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Nickelback

Commander PK

THE BEST band for Canada is and always will be The Tragically Hip. Hell I think they are the best rock band period since 89' with the release of Up to Hear. They had a couple albums that Gordo was hittin the acid alittle too much but they still Rock!!

Nickleback is from a small town an hour from me and they are a pretty big story where I live. I always say I dont like Nickleback, but when a song comes on the radio I sing every last word, they are just one of those bands. Photograph is a good song IMO, and OLP and the hip are awesome. But what about RUSH for canadian bands?

I agree totally. Corporations control what people listen to. People will eventually "Like" someting if they hear it enough.

Or they just don't know any better... ;)

Used to be the labels actually allowed groups to cultivate and evolve. Those days are gone. Now it's sell a million records or your out. Anyone can sell 1M, though, when you consider the marketing forces behind them. If Satan... err... I mean Babyface farted on a record or Lucifer... err... I mean Clive Davis produced an album full of my 93 year-old Grandmom complaining she had termites in her hair, both would go platinum just from the right marketing they'd both be sure to have.

Don't fool yourselves. The vast majority of stuff on major labels is pasteurized and homogenized Grade-A crap. Simple as that. I don't care what genre. Even though I detest Hip-Hop and find it invalid as a form of music, I'm sure there are enthusiasts out there who know where the good stuff is, versus what you hear on the radio at all hours. People get suckered into liking it because they don't realize there's stuff out there other than the major, glitzy marketing. Either than or they just don't realize how easily they can actually find it.

Or they just don't know any better... ;)

Used to be the labels actually allowed groups to cultivate and evolve. Those days are gone. Now it's sell a million records or your out. Anyone can sell 1M, though, when you consider the marketing forces behind them. If Satan... err... I mean Babyface farted on a record or Lucifer... err... I mean Clive Davis produced an album full of my 93 year-old Grandmom complaining she had termites in her hair, both would go platinum just from the right marketing they'd both be sure to have.

Don't fool yourselves. The vast majority of stuff on major labels is pasteurized and homogenized Grade-A crap. Simple as that. I don't care what genre. Even though I detest Hip-Hop and find it invalid as a form of music, I'm sure there are enthusiasts out there who know where the good stuff is, versus what you hear on the radio at all hours. People get suckered into liking it because they don't realize there's stuff out there other than the major, glitzy marketing. Either than or they just don't realize how easily they can actually find it.

Well said. I remember when Monster Magnet was getting air play... ??? WTF?

Satellite radio in another universe maybe, or possibly Uranus... :paranoid:

I heard Bob Ryan talking last night about the meteorites Monday night being mistaken for Neptune or Venus. I was waiting to hear him say stuff about people mistaking them for Uranus... :paranoid:

I heard Bob Ryan talking last night about the meteorites Monday night being mistaken for Neptune or Venus. I was waiting to hear him say stuff about people mistaking them for Uranus... :paranoid:

:laugh: :laugh:

Uranus is really cool... (that's what you say to chicks... :paranoid: )

For some bizarre reason, I said Uranus far too many times at dinner while watching the news and kept trying to work in Uranus in different ways.

See. I did it again and didn't even realize it... :geek:

I was having way too much fun using Uranus at dinner, then Laura put an end to it.

Dammit, I did it again!!!

For some bizarre reason, I said Uranus far too many times at dinner while watching the news and kept trying to work in Uranus in different ways.

See. I did it again and didn't even realize it... :geek:

I was having way too much fun using Uranus at dinner, then Laura put an end to it.

Dammit, I did it again!!!

Ask her what toilet paper and the starship enterprise have in common....

They both fly around Uranus looking for clingons....

I don't know why everybody has been so hard on Nickelback.

Believe me. I used to be a musician, (was a music major for a 3 semesters in college, until I realized they were making me hate it) and I've been listening to rock and metal since the day I was born. I was raised on Classic Rock, and Blues, and grew up in the hey day of 80's metal. Early Metallica, Anthrax, Priest, Testament, Mercyful Fate, etc.

Now, I like mostly metalcore, bands like Chimaira, Devil Driver, Shadow's Fall, Lamb of God, Fear Factory...that kind of metal, but I don't mind the radio stuff either, and Nickelback along with groups like 3 Doors Down, Shinedown, Breaking Benjamin, Godsmack, Disturbed, they all have their place. They just chose too take a more mainstream path, instead of going against the grain. David Draiman of Disturbed even said that they wanted to be the "U2 of metal." :laugh:

That's fine, let them. Nobody can honestly tell me that you don't sing along with "Photograph," or "How you remind me," or "Someday" when they come on the radio. I'm not saying it's something it isn't, it's not Sgt. Pepper's, or Led Zep IV...I'm just saying they have some catchy tunes, with a Rock edge. It is corporate, and it is music conceived for the masses, but that doesn't mean some of it can't be good. You can't tell me you don't drum on the steering wheel, when "Straight out of Line" by Godsmack, or "Stricken" by Disturbed come on the Radio either. I think sometimes people take this all to serious. Just because they are getting airplay, doesn't mean they suck. They are what they are, but what it really boils down to for me, is that groups like the forementioned are keeping a "rock" elemental type of music on the radio. It's keeping the genre alive if you will. I love Shadow's Fall, but lets be honest here. They are NEVER going to get any radio play. We need groups like Nickelback to keep people interested in rock/metal. My :2cents:

Archived