Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Has the Spark ended?

skins1972

I am not trying to be negative cause GOD knows I have been all week long after the game. One thing is really got me worried and I want to know what you guys think.

Could it be that our spark after the Dallas game just came to an end? Is it possible that offensive show we were putting up week in and out just ended on Sunday and we are back to square one??

I think for the past few games, Brunell and Moss were just playing incredible football, which made up for the average play of the o-line. Brunell was passing for 300 yards and Moss was catching over 100 yards, despite frequently shady protection and a mediocre rushing attack.

I think we can and will fix it, though.

Now we all know that when we beat Philthy a lot of the doom and gloom preachers are going to be the first ones calling the Holiday Inn up in Detroit for reservations, and the next time we lose they'll be calling to cancel.

I don't think we had that big a spark to begin with the only team we hammered were the Niners, and we've been 2-3 since the Dallass game.

:eaglesuck :gaintsuck :dallasuck

Well, we kind of got our bubble burst a bit in KC. I wouldn't look at it as the continuation of the spark from one game. We will find out a lot about this team in how they respond to this loss. I think they (the players) are all feeling it, and we have a chance to bounce back in a big way against the Iggles. Then we'd be 5-3, 2-1 in our division, and set to play an inconsistent Tampa Bay team.

I think in a way we are back to square one, and that may not be a bad thing. We've done well at home, but really struggled on the road. The wakeup call has sounded. Time for a fresh start.

Actually that is a valid questions. I think it can go either way. Having Gibbs as a HC makes me feel a little more comfortable this was a one time thing.

Then I take a look at the Giants and the spanking they got from SD and the bad lose to Dallas. Didn't hurt them did it?

In the end I feel we will not have long to wait for the answer. Sunday night is not far away.

The 49 game was a head fake. The Skins have serious problems ... more so on defense. Other teams have taken away the blitz and we cannot get any pressure. The DL is not productive ... STaylor has not become a savior (and may be a weakness) and Washington will not make the pro bowl this year. On offense, Brunell must have protection to be effectiove and the OL simply cannot handle physical teams ala KC, NYG and (the Eagles). In a prior posting I cautioned about going over the top after the 49er game and expressed the feeling that the Skins could lose 4 out of its next 5 games. They must play perfectly to win and with the current schedule the opportunity to do so is limited. Looking down the road, the Skins need to retool both lines and think about getting JCampbell some reps.

Looking down the road, the Skins need to retool both lines and think about getting JCampbell some reps.

Dunno, doesn't look like they are even letting him hold the clipboard at this point.

:laugh:

I certainly understand your point, and I myself have expressed frustration in recent days about our failure to do anything about the D line or cornerback position in this past draft. But if the problems are as deep as you say, I fail to see how inserting a rookie QB would accomplish anything, except to get him beat up in a hopeless no-win situation. Campbell isn't Eli Manning, and if the problems are as deep as you say, we aren't the Giants in the sense that we can turn things around in a year. We have no first round pick next year, which is what we would need to get a truely good O or D lineman. The future has already been mortgaged, so if Campbell is that future, he'd better be a one man team.

If things are as bad as you say, then we really have no future to look forward to because Gibbs and Williams are in complete denial over these issues. I think - and certainly hope that you are wrong.

And if you are right, then drafting Campbell in the first place was a HUGE mistake.

I don't think it has anything to do with a spark. We are a strong team with a good foundation. We played flat out awful football against NY and we got trampled. Nonetheless, we are still the team that went out and got those 4 wins, and we are perfectly capable of competing with any team in the league. I think the biggest issue right now is the O line and the D line. We have to get guys to step up in place of the injured and to make plays. I expect our guys to come out fired up against the eagirls and prove they are still the team we all gained confidence in.

Archived