Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mike, Sam & Willie...Linebacker Question

radagast5

Question for anyone whose knowledge of football history and minutia is detailed enough to remember:

Where do the names Mike, Sam & Willie (sp) come from in reference to linebacker positions?

When did these nicknames begin to see use? I don't recall *anyone* using these terms say, 20 years ago, though I'll be the first to admit that I simply may not have been paying enough attention to notice.

A quick primer on the subject would make for an interesting read.

When did these nicknames begin to see use? I don't recall *anyone* using these terms say, 20 years ago, though I'll be the first to admit that I simply may not have been paying enough attention to notice.

A quick primer on the subject would make for an interesting read.

The terminology has been around since at least the 60s. I have a football game from the early 70s that uses them on the defensive cards. Not sure of the origin but it has been around a while.

I've never heard the weakside backer being referred to as "Willie". Where I coach, and where I was going to play college ball before I got bit by the injury bug, they're called just plain "Will". Where those terms came from, I'm not sure, but I guarantee they're just names thrown out there because they start with the same letter as their positions...

Thanks to all who responded.

I figured that the names had no real meaning other than Mike & Middle starting with "M", Sam & Strongside starting with "S", and so forth.

Is it just me, or were these terms really not used at all by broadcasters until the last 10 years or so? I don't ever remember hearing the terms used in 1970s or 1980s.

Thanks to all who responded.

I figured that the names had no real meaning other than Mike & Middle starting with "M", Sam & Strongside starting with "S", and so forth.

Is it just me, or were these terms really not used at all by broadcasters until the last 10 years or so? I don't ever remember hearing the terms used in 1970s or 1980s.

I think you're right. I had heard it used as football terminology but not by broadcasters until recently...

anyone that played football in high school has heard of Mike, Sam, and Will...and i agree with the person who said they are used as phonetic terms for each linebacker position...IMO they were probably created by an old school football coach to help his linebackers understand their plays and formations easier...

more specifically broadcasters who played football.

i have a friend who calls d-tackles three and three technique players depending on where the lineup against the o-line.

Yeah that came from Bear Bryant. It goes as follows

A 0 is head up on the center

A 1 is on either shoulder of the center (also called a shade)

A 2 is head up on the guard

A 2i is inside shoulder of guard

A 3 is outside shoulder

A 4 is head up on tackle

A 4i is inside shoulder of the tackel

A 5 is outside shoulder of tackle

it continues for the tight end

Mike and Sam always made sense to me as they are the phonetic terms used by the military for the letters M and S. But for the life of me, I have no idea where Willie came from. It would be easier actually just to say weak!

These terms have been around at least 10 years, since I was in high school... Will or Willie is used for weakside linebacker, and William is the phonetic term used by many police departments for the letter "W"

Archived