Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Joe Gibbs is building us another Champion

MustangSteve

It's only been the 2nd year back for Joe Gibbs and all of a suddon the Redskins have gotten the respect they once had under his leadership in the 80's and 90's. We are watching our team go down to the wire, and even out playing teams in two of the hardest stadiums to win in which is Denver and KC. Only by turn overs did we lose these games "and as we all know" turnovers are something teams and indivisuals can and will work through, example Tiki Barber and the Giants. You better believe a Joe Gibbs team will work them out too my fellow Redskin fans (and when we do) that will make our offense worth another 10-17 points per game, which is good enough to beat any team in todays NFL. Mark Brunell has done nothing but impressed me this year, (matter of fact) I don't know if any other quarter back in the league today is throwing as accurate as he is, and even scambling to keep drives alive. Clinton Portis, well lets open a few more holes for the man offensive line, we all know he can take it the distance. Santana Moss!!! Finaly the man gets to prove how good of an athlete he really is. Not only can he catch about any ball thrown his way, but his (RAC) "run after catch" is one of the best in the NFL, if not THE best. Defense!!! We are NOT as good as we was last year "only because of a few injuries" which are minor, and one of the hardest hitters and best tacklers in the league still learning the system and/or obedience, thats all us fans were told *so I will leave it at that*. So all the ingredients are there, the coaches are just shaking and mixing them, and all things that are shaken and mixed end up coming together. (Stats that Nobody has mentioned) I have watched Joe Gibbs build champions from 1981 when he first signed with the Redskins, in his second year as a coach in 1982, he won a Superbowl. He retires and goes to nascar, in his second year he wins the Championship. This man is blessed and no-matter where he goes or what he does, "he builds Champions". And as you see, it doesn't take him long at all to build them either.

Good post. I feel the same way.

For years, we've had nothing but bad teams, frustrating mistakes, and a complete lack of true competitiveness.

Now it feels like it used to back in the 80's - even the losses don't really bother me that much right now; because I know the team is playing good football. The two losses we have this season were close games, on the road, against tough opponents - and we were right there up until the end of the ballgame.

That's the way it used to be back in the good ole' days. That's the way it is now. We can play with anybody in the league, and if Gibbs sticks around for a few years, we're bound to make it back to the Super Bowl.

Two things will HAVE to happen before this team and the word "championship" can be spoken in the same breath. Drastically improve our turnover ratio and turn those red zone opportunities into touchdowns.

yes, yes and yes. i think the point of the thread is that we are building a foundation. now we just need to get a few blowouts and win the close ones.

We need to get rid of the "I'm used to losing" attitude that has plagued skins fans for so many years. Gibb's bring us back that feeling that we have in the 80's and early 90's, when we expected to win. I saw posts on this site about people already seeing the ship sink because we loss two really tough road games. But guess what? Even with those two losses we are still in the thick of things. The game has no passed by Gibbs as evident with the amount of yardage and time of possesion we have. Two Joe Gibbs staples.

At the end of the year, Portis will have his 1400+ yards rushing, the defense will be in the top 5, and Brunell will be close to 3700 yards passing.

Being any NFL fan is truly a roller coaster ride through a 16 game season. Just keep an eye on the big picture and try not to stress or be overjoyed at the conclusion of any one given game....unless of course we beat Dallas!!

Yea im loving the wins but im not really minding the losing cuase i know we should of beat the broncos and be 4-1 if the dumb*** referee didnt mess up with the tuck rule call and if mark brunell and rock cartwright held on to the ball tighter we would of won the chiefs game 17-21 and be 5-0. Usually after a lose im spitting the chips on the TV screen braking the remote and punching the wall.

Gibb's bring us back that feeling that we have in the 80's and early 90's, when we expected to win. I saw posts on this site about people already seeing the ship sink because we loss two really tough road games.

This team is playing like the teams from the 80's and early 90's. Don't feel to bad about the people on the sinking ship, most are just too young to remember the feeling that this team is giving us once again. We have lost 2 in a row and I feel like we are 5-0. I can't remember having a team this good, 1999 didn't even come close.

Go Skins! :helmet:

Amen, brother. I like the stability that we finally have. Everyone is very disappointed when we lose, but it seems that we are losing differently w/ Gibbs. We are not there yet, but getting close. The final 8 games of the season will be very telling for us. With all of the issues going on, we will be ok once they get resolved.

Very nice post! I think that if we get to 9-7 or 10-6, we are definately on the right track...playoffs or no playoffs. Obviously, a Wild Card would be an awesome Christmas present for us all and then, who knows. Joe Gibbs teams won many a playoff on the road...back to back in Chicago in the 86' and 87' season, in Philly in the 90' season and in Minnesota in the 92' season. Plus, if we do get a wild card spot, the NFC North winner won't have a real good shot. The key will be gettin gthe #5 seed so we play AT the 4th seeded division champion...probably the North winner.

Oh, a Division Title would be fine by me too!

No argument here. Take a look at Blondie's thread down below to see some statistical reasons why. And we couple that with some of the things we have seen and there you have it. All is not rosey, ( er B & G), yet, but getting there.

Good post. I feel the same way.

For years, we've had nothing but bad teams, frustrating mistakes, and a complete lack of true competitiveness.

Now it feels like it used to back in the 80's - even the losses don't really bother me that much right now; because I know the team is playing good football. The two losses we have this season were close games, on the road, against tough opponents - and we were right there up until the end of the ballgame.

That's the way it used to be back in the good ole' days. That's the way it is now. We can play with anybody in the league, and if Gibbs sticks around for a few years, we're bound to make it back to the Super Bowl.

Joe Gibbs is proving everyone who said the game has past him by, "WRONG". This game will always be won with hard work, character and with heart. What a lot of these younger fans haven't seen yet is how good a Joe Gibbs team plays late in the season on the Playoff stretch. Not "IF" but "WHEN" this team comes together, these younger fans will get to enjoy the real RIVALRYS we had back in the day. When our team was the "Beast of the East" and us fans could look other teams fans in the eyes and tell them "you dont want no parts of us" and mean it! Back when Joe Gibbs Redskins would wear military outfits heading down to Texas Stadium to fight for 1st place with the Dallas Cowboys late in November, and blow them out in there stadium 34-10. This is exactly what Joe Gibbs is building again, and not only will the new and young Redskin fans get to see and enjoy it, but so will all the younger and newer coaches in the NFL who thinks the game is still won by X's and O's.

We need to get rid of the "I'm used to losing" attitude that has plagued skins fans for so many years. Gibb's bring us back that feeling that we have in the 80's and early 90's, when we expected to win. I saw posts on this site about people already seeing the ship sink because we loss two really tough road games. But guess what? Even with those two losses we are still in the thick of things. The game has no passed by Gibbs as evident with the amount of yardage and time of possesion we have. Two Joe Gibbs staples.

At the end of the year, Portis will have his 1400+ yards rushing, the defense will be in the top 5, and Brunell will be close to 3700 yards passing.

Being any NFL fan is truly a roller coaster ride through a 16 game season. Just keep an eye on the big picture and try not to stress or be overjoyed at the conclusion of any one given game....unless of course we beat Dallas!!

That feeling will go away and is already starting to since this team is coming together and even pulling out close wins. Each week this team is going to get better and better, that comes with the hard work and dicipline. After we shock a few good teams in a couple of weeks by totaly controlling the game and the score, the confidents will grow in the team as it already is and with the fans.

I sincerely believe the skins are knocking on the playoff door. Despite being nicked we are one of the healthiest teams in the NFL. Tampa Bay just lost their QB and the Cowboys are looking for a tackle. Most of all though is the feeling I get when Brunnell goes back to pass......TD MOSS!!!!! 4-2 after Sunday and then we gotta "play our guts out" Its gonna be a great season....promise.

I love finding these types of threads. I've got to stop replying to threads that are started by negative, closed minded, doom and gloom instigators. Anyone who knows football realizes that the Redskins have turned it around big time since Gibbs has arrived. Even the bad record last year wasn't as bad as it seemed. Towards the end of Spurrier's tenure, it was obvious that this team was getting worse and worse, giving up on themselves, week in and week out. We took some lumps last year and lost some extremely tight games, despite the lack of any semblance of offensive production. This year, the offense has turned it around more than any team in the league, hands down. I'm excited... and yes I was very bummed that we dropped both of those road games, but the team looks good, is focused, and there is no doubt that Gibbs has "us" headed back in the right direction.

Of course the game has evolved, but winners know which buttons to press, they know people, they know the importance of the little things like fundamentals, and they know how to lead warriors down the path to victory. The will inevitably lose some battles, but they always manage to win the war. Yeah the schmes have changed, yeah the salary cap changes some things, but Gibbs is a winner, pure and simple. In the long run he always has and he always will prevail. There is no doubt in my mind that this team is following suit. It's a great time to be a Skins fan!!!

Word. And I would like to thank Steve Spurrious for stepping aside so the master could take the reins once again.

If Snyder is smart, he will hire young apprentices to learn the system, and go for character over flash and hype, and be willing to build on that.

:helmet:

In less than 16 games Joe Gibbs cured our 12 year chronic case of Norvitis. In my book that ranks right up there with Jonas Salk.

When is the last time anyone expected the Redskins to win, or better yet, knew they could when it counted?

Archived