Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sean or Roy?

FightForOldDC21

WHAT REALLY PEEVES THE GIRLS FANS IS THAT WHEN THEY DRAFTED WILLIAMS MANY OF US WERE ENVIOUS BECAUSE AT THE TIME HE WAS THE BEST SAFETY PROSPECT IN YEARS! (Ed reed and Brian Dawkins simply dont have the same tools physically). Now they have to admit that Taylor has even better physical tools and now it seems better instincts as well. Right now it goes Reed- Dawkins-Taylor-Polomalu-Williams ranked on skill and potential combined. if Williams cut some weight hed be a beast at SS but he will prolly get moved to weakside OLB where hed dominate ala Brooks.

While he has talent he lacks it upstairs and is another Miami wannabee thug. Guy maybe a good player but he has no character whatsoever.

That's an interesting perspective. How bout someone elses?

"You said in '60 seconds with a Redskin' that Sean Taylor was your favorite pro athlete. Could you elaborate on that a bit?"

Gregg Williams:

At that time of the year, Sean was getting pounded by a lot of people and I just wanted to make sure everybody knew, that from my perspective, he’s a great kid. I know him behind the scenes the way a lot of the fans, up until this year when he’s been more open with them, didn’t know exactly how he was. I just wanted to make sure everybody knew that he is a good person. And by my stepping out there and defending a player that I coach, I think it might have shed some light on what a tremendous joy it is for me to coach him and also, for the fans, to have him playing in the Redskin uniform at Fed Ex Field.

Great, a discussion about my position. SAFETY! Though I am a huge Redskins fan my favorite safety was Brian Dawkins. I even used to wear #20 and people used to call me Dawkins. That was until the player formerly known as #36 came into the league. S.T. was an instant favorite even before the draft. I was going crazy when we picked him over Winslow with the #5 pisck.

As for this question, Sean Taylor without a doubt. ST is better in coverage, RW is better against the run and they are about even with the hitting. Roy and Sean are both really OLB's in my opinion though. They are both 230 lbs.+.

I don't think that they should be compared to Ed Reed though. He is a pure safety and he far surpasses them both in coverage. Plus, he was the NFL Defensive Player of the Year. Until ST or Roy does that then their is no comparison.

Actually, can I pick myself?

While you poke fans believe you are using hyperbole in an attempt at humor, you really aren't that far off from reality.

Taylor has the kind of ability you scoff at. And while you'd like to believe that him being beaten by Patrick Crayton as a 21 year old rookie will forever define him as being inferior to the best safeties in the league - it doesn't make in the slightest.

This isn't just a bunch of Redskins fans spouting off about a player who has flashed a couple of big plays here and there. The great Greg Williams, who has had the pleasure of coaching for and against some of the most awesome talents the league has ever seen, has been quoted as saying that Taylor is the most gifted player he's ever seen. That says something whether you chose to acknowledge it or not. Has Parcells said that about Roy boy? Don't think so.

I don't think anyone (GW included) believes that Taylor has come close to achieving his potential. But what player did in his second year in the league? Did Lott? Did Rice? Emmitt Smith? And despite some bumps in the offseason road, he has shown the commitment and dedication that it takes to eventually achieve the goal of becoming one of the best ever. Again, that's straight from Williams himself.

So you guys are right - we should be comparing Taylor to the best of the best the league has to offer. It's a discussion that doesn't include Roy Williams because he's just not at the same level of Dawkins, Reed, and Taylor. And you guys don't have the convenient excuse of him playing out of position anymore either. Williams is what he is - a one dimensional player at safety. He's excellent at that one dimension. But one dimensional players should not be spoken of as being complete players - players who deserve to be considered among the best in the league - players who go to Hawaii every season.

While Taylor isn't yet nipping at the heels of Reed and Dawkins, he's doing what it takes to close the gap. That's about all you can ask for from a 22 year old.

I heard GW say several times that ST is one of the best athletes he's ever coached. I may not be a paid NFL insider but I do read ES so I'm learning Dirk. There's Reed, Dawkins, ST then everyone else and ST has a chance to be better than both of them... perhaps the best ever... I'm not arguing with you. Although RW is one dimensional and an inferior safety to ST he's still my guy and of course I will continue to support him.

ST, Roy would be a damn good LB though.

ok maybe u guys dont this, but everyone says, and even joe gibbs, lavar arrington, and shawn springs says thet ST is built more as of a linebacker as well, but the reason why he is playing safety is because he has more speed,flexibility, and coverage, both sean and roy should be linebackers, and if they were ST would still be a better lineback :laugh:

This is ridiculous. It's not even a debate.

Btw, to the numbnuts who contend that Roy Williams is a harder hitter...who are you people? Do you even bother to watch the games, or do you just listen to the color commentators fellating that glorified LB? I've seen RW make solid hits, as well as some dirty, crowning, Chuck Cecil-type hits. His highlight reel is solid if unspectacular.

But RW does not, and can not, hit people the way Taylor does. ST has a truly remarkable ability to disrupt people's skeletal structure. There are safeties who mix it up and make it hard for the WR to hang on to the pass, and then there are safeties who SEPARATE the receiver from the ball. Right now, there is only one safety in the game who does that consistently. It's Sean Taylor. And the reason is simple physics. Kinetic energy = 0.5 mv^2. Velocity is squared and thus far more critical than mass in generating and imparting kinetic energy. Not only is ST bigger than RW (232 to 219), he's much faster, and his acceleration is incomparable. If Taylor is moving just 5% faster at moment of impact, his kinetic energy vs. the lighter, slower Williams is going to be 20% greater. THAT is huge effin' difference. And that's assuming that Williams gets to top speed prior to impact, which I doubt happens often. Taylor accelerates so quickly that he very OFTEN gets to top speed by impact.

If you have any doubts about my post, do the calculations yourself. And watch the highlight clip from the Week 2 MNF game. Taylor starting from standstill covers 9 yards in a heartbeat and disintegrates Patrick Crayton, sending the ball flying 20 yards in the opposide direction. Last year in the Steelers game he's at full speed and ruins #39 as the latter is hauling in a pass.

Roy Williams is barely playing in the same league as Taylor, and he certainly isn't in the same class.

Hell, why stop comparing him to RW? Sean Taylor is obviously the greatest safety to ever play football. I mean, the man is lockdown. He simply let Terry Glenn blow past him because he wanted to give Dallas confidence. Watching Crayton blow by his ass last year for the game winning TD? Obviously wanted to give Dallas more confidence going into this year. It's clear that there isn't anything out there, man or machine, that can stack up to the excellence that is Sean Taylor. Sean Taylor is a freaking god. Infact, they should rename the safety position "Sean T"

:allhail: the great Sean Taylor

Hell, why stop comparing him to RW? Sean Taylor is obviously the greatest safety to ever play football. I mean, the man is lockdown. He simply let Terry Glenn blow past him because he wanted to give Dallas confidence. Watching Crayton blow by his ass last year for the game winning TD? Obviously wanted to give Dallas more confidence going into this year. It's clear that there isn't anything out there, man or machine, that can stack up to the excellence that is Sean Taylor. Sean Taylor is a freaking god. Infact, they should rename the safety position "Sean T"

:doh: Ya know, you don't HAVE to come to a Redskins site, where the majority of the posters are going to like someone ON THE REDSKINS! And, Crayola Crayon didn't "blow past" Sean Taylor last year. He just happened to be open because Meshaun was running an inside route & Sean bit on the pump fake. If Taylor had NOT bitten on that play, Crayola would not have been open & we would have won that game. Stop making **** up to suit you & go back to the Cowboys boards where lying about what happened in a game against the Redskins is not only standard, it's a way of life. :finger: :dallasuck

New favorite poster!

Archived