Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sean or Roy?

FightForOldDC21

#21, of course! But, since I've been ranting tonight, please bear with me;

• That cowboy does make plays, and I must admit that he is one of the TOP ball-hawking safties in the league. But #21 is more talented, and has more potential.
  • That #@$&in cowboy has been exposed as a lead foot by US on national TV. Now, knowing the NFL the way we do, the smart money says that teams will throw deep at him all year long. Haha.
  • #21 is turning into a reincarnation of A. Walton (with cover ability) with regards to his hitting. honestly, I haven't seen consistent hitting like that in our defensive backfield for YEARS.
  • Finally, how can a discussion on elite safeties in the league take place without mentioning M. Harrison? Sadly, it looks like the man's career may be in jeporady, but assuming it ain't, I put him right there at the top...

#21, of course! But, since I've been ranting tonight, please bear with me;

• That cowboy does make plays, and I must admit that he is one of the TOP ball-hawking safties in the league. But #21 is more talented, and has more potential.
  • That #@$&in cowboy has been exposed as a lead foot by US on national TV. Now, knowing the NFL the way we do, the smart money says that teams will throw deep at him all year long. Haha.
  • #21 is turning into a reincarnation of A. Walton (with cover ability) with regards to his hitting. honestly, I haven't seen consistent hitting like that in our defensive backfield for YEARS.
  • Finally, how can a discussion on elite safeties in the league take place without mentioning M. Harrison? Sadly, it looks like the man's career may be in jeporady, but assuming it ain't, I put him right there at the top...

ooops! I meant R. Harrison. That man is a warrior & I would be honored if he donned Our war colors...

You guys are really sharp as a tack! ST by a mile! Football has probably never seen a harder hitter than ST since Ronny Lott.. and ST has better cover ability and speed than Lott. Could we talking about not only the best safety in the game now but possiby the best safety ever and a re-definition of the position? Possibly the the most single best defensive player over-all right now in ST? Who knows?

talk is talk... all commentors got to talk good about all players or they get fired for negativity..they get paid to say roy is a great hitter.. sure.. to me hes an average hitter.... its either hit or miss, roy to santana, its a i missed u .. come back.. u hurt me the first time, dont hurt me again.. yes he hurted u again..we win. anyways, ..sports, you got to be athetic in all the ways imaginable, sean is faster, a yr or 2 sean will be more discipline, if not already. much harder hitter, cause he hits them, and wraps them up with his wing span and slams them to the ground.. (thats 2 hits in one, ask crayton) and who said sean can't play linebacker.. 6-2 231.. a linebacker, a cornerback, a wide reciever at saftey...who would u say is more athletic?

I agree with what's been said here, it really is an insult to Sean Taylor to compare him to a limited player like Roy Williams.

Sean's only weakness right now is his agression (bites on fakes alot). Roy Williams has been exposed as a mediocre saftey who can hit really really hard. But he's playing in Dallas and just like playing in NY for the Giants or Jets, the media will hype him a ton more than he deserves.

Ed Reed and Brian Dawkins are the only guys who are better than Sean right now but Sean is still got a ton of upside and should move past those two within a season or so.

You guys are really sharp as a tack! ST by a mile! Football has probably never seen a harder hitter than ST since Ronny Lott.. and ST has better cover ability and speed than Lott. Could we talking about not only the best safety in the game now but possiby the best safety ever and a re-definition of the position? Possibly the the most single best defensive player over-all right now in ST? Who knows?

Sean Taylor has better cover skills at Safety than Lott did. Lott lost his corner job because he wasnt an effective cover corner anymore.

He wasnt please with it and went out to lay wood on every play there after. (true story)

I agree with THEHEREAFTER, it's pointless compare ST to other safeties in the league. The real question is who in the NFL has a shot at beating Taylor out for Defensive MVP for the next 10 years. Guys like Ray Lewis, Kris Jenkins, Dwight Freeney come to mind.

Better yet, this discussion should be about who's the most dominant player in the history of the NFL: Sean Taylor or Marcus Washington? Discuss...

:dallasuck :dallasuck mnf showed who was the best safety. what good are you, if you get beat

twice on the same play in less than 2 minutes. If Sean does not go to jail

you may be looking at the best safety in football history

Taylor got burned on the first game last year (Anderson pass to Glenn), Crayton catch 3nd game last year, and the flea flicker to Glenn this year.

Sean for several reasons:

1. Better in coverage...Yes he's over aggressive but he's also only in his second year while Roy is in his 4th...

2. May not hit as hard as Roy but its pretty damn close. Also while he doesn hit as hard he might be a more sound tackler...

3. He's faster and allows more flexibility on defense. Roy is more of a linebacker then he is a safety...

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2002/brandt_group1.html

Roy Williams 4.53

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2004/draft/players/44570.html

Sean Taylor 4.51

:dallasuck :dallasuck mnf showed who was the best safety. what good are you, if you get beat

twice on the same play in less than 2 minutes. If Sean does not go to jail

you may be looking at the best safety in football history

history is stretching it a bit, but i agree if he stays out of jail, ST will be the best S in football!! :2cents:

While you poke fans believe you are using hyperbole in an attempt at humor, you really aren't that far off from reality.

Taylor has the kind of ability you scoff at. And while you'd like to believe that him being beaten by Patrick Crayton as a 21 year old rookie will forever define him as being inferior to the best safeties in the league - it doesn't make in the slightest.

This isn't just a bunch of Redskins fans spouting off about a player who has flashed a couple of big plays here and there. The great Greg Williams, who has had the pleasure of coaching for and against some of the most awesome talents the league has ever seen, has been quoted as saying that Taylor is the most gifted player he's ever seen. That says something whether you chose to acknowledge it or not. Has Parcells said that about Roy boy? Don't think so.

I don't think anyone (GW included) believes that Taylor has come close to achieving his potential. But what player did in his second year in the league? Did Lott? Did Rice? Emmitt Smith? And despite some bumps in the offseason road, he has shown the commitment and dedication that it takes to eventually achieve the goal of becoming one of the best ever. Again, that's straight from Williams himself.

So you guys are right - we should be comparing Taylor to the best of the best the league has to offer. It's a discussion that doesn't include Roy Williams because he's just not at the same level of Dawkins, Reed, and Taylor. And you guys don't have the convenient excuse of him playing out of position anymore either. Williams is what he is - a one dimensional player at safety. He's excellent at that one dimension. But one dimensional players should not be spoken of as being complete players - players who deserve to be considered among the best in the league - players who go to Hawaii every season.

While Taylor isn't yet nipping at the heels of Reed and Dawkins, he's doing what it takes to close the gap. That's about all you can ask for from a 22 year old.

Archived