Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Scouting Report: Jason Campbell

LoGiK

just some detailed information about our future Quarterback.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/2005draft/Campbell,Jason-QB-Auburn.htm

Analysis:

Positives... Has a very strong throwing arm and quick feet to avoid pressure, but is better suited throwing out of the pocket. ... Does a nice job of carrying out fakes and has a quick, high release with the strength to get the ball downfield. ... Is developing good toughness in the pocket and no longer looks for a rush lane or to hold on to the ball too long when his primary targets are covered. ... In 2004, Campbell had very good success with the deep outs, fades and posts. ... Shows better timing and the ability to give his receivers a chance to compete for the ball than he did in the past. ... Does a good job maneuvering when forced out of the pocket, but is better standing in the pocket than on the roll out, as he is more effective when he has a chance to time his throws. ... His natural athletic skills are what makes him an intriguing prospect, but understand that this is a player that has had to digest four different offensive systems during his four years in college. ... Made excellent progress in most areas of his game over the last year. ... Used to lock on to his main target too much, but coach Al Borges showed him that with patience, he does a much better job of scanning the field or taking hits stepping up in the pocket.

Negatives... Still, for a player of his size, he shows good mobility. ... When he rolls out of the pocket, he will sometimes hold the ball low and exposed, resulting in costly fumbles. ... Still needs to show better judgement, but has the power behind his throws to thread the ball in a crowd. ... His touch on his long ball has improved quite a bit, but he still needs to work on his underneath throws. ... Still has not fully grasped the mental aspect of calling his own game yet, and will need to have the plays called for him until he can prove that he can handle play-calling on his own. ... Does well in school (3.0 grade point average). His first Wonderlic test score (14) was lower than you like from a player at the quarterback position, but he then scored a much-improved 28 at the Combine in February. ... Needs to work on some fundamentals, especially his feet in his pass set, but he has the quickness to get back from center. ... Made more sound decisions in 2004 than he did in the past, but he still must improve in reading coverages.

Agility tests: CAMPUS: 4.69 in the 40-yard dash. ... 285-pound bench press. ... 370-pound squat. ... 305-pound power clean. ... 35-inch vertical jump. ... 33 -inch arm length. ... 9 1/8-inch hands. ... Right-handed. ... 14/28 Wonderlic score. COMBINE: 4.72 seconds in 40-yard dash. ... 28 Wonderlic score. ... Did not participate in other workout drills.

just some detailed information about our future Quarterback.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/2005draft/Campbell,Jason-QB-Auburn.htm

Analysis:

Positives... Has a very strong throwing arm and quick feet to avoid pressure, but is better suited throwing out of the pocket. ... Does a nice job of carrying out fakes and has a quick, high release with the strength to get the ball downfield. ... Is developing good toughness in the pocket and no longer looks for a rush lane or to hold on to the ball too long when his primary targets are covered. ... In 2004, Campbell had very good success with the deep outs, fades and posts. ... Shows better timing and the ability to give his receivers a chance to compete for the ball than he did in the past. ... Does a good job maneuvering when forced out of the pocket, but is better standing in the pocket than on the roll out, as he is more effective when he has a chance to time his throws. ... His natural athletic skills are what makes him an intriguing prospect, but understand that this is a player that has had to digest four different offensive systems during his four years in college. ... Made excellent progress in most areas of his game over the last year. ... Used to lock on to his main target too much, but coach Al Borges showed him that with patience, he does a much better job of scanning the field or taking hits stepping up in the pocket.

What the hell are these guys smoking?!?!?

I never really paid attention to him in college, but did he scramble a lot, and did he have some moves where he could make some defenders miss?

He played well enough for Auburn to go undefeated when he was a Senior. When he did throw it down the field he was fairly efficient at it, but he was never relied upon to win the game with his arm. Their passing game existed to keep teams honest so they could keep handing it to Caddy and Ronnie. They relied on a solid defense and consistent run game to win and it worked.

It seems like he has the tools, but what other QB in recent history had TWO running backs go in the TOP 5 of the same draft (the year that JC blew up)?

Both backs are doing pretty well in the NFL too. Hopefully JC has a ton of untapped potential that he didn't need to win at Auburn. Time will tell, but he has the tools.

The running game definitely helped open up the passing game, but consider the accuracy. When AU did throw he did it well. He also made good decisions like taking sacks and throwing the ball away when appropriate. He also made some clutch passes to win games, 4th and 15, etc.

Last year

188/270 69.6% 20TD 7 INT Yds per Completion 14.4

So if you use that you will see hes accurate and yds per completion show hes not throwing all short passes either.

He played well enough for Auburn to go undefeated when he was a Senior. When he did throw it down the field he was fairly efficient at it, but he was never relied upon to win the game with his arm. Their passing game existed to keep teams honest so they could keep handing it to Caddy and Ronnie. They relied on a solid defense and consistent run game to win and it worked.

It is somewhat inaccurate to characterize Campbell as merely as a manager. Most SEC followers would admit that Campbell was the reason for Auburn's success last year, in fact he was voted SEC Offensive player of the year by SEC coaches over Cadillac, over Ronnie Brown, over Gerald Riggs Jr. and over any other SEC player.

Though Auburn's running game and defense powered most of the wins, Campbell was relied on to win games. In fact, in two of the biggest games of the years, Campbell won the game for Auburn against LSU with his clutch plays under great pressure and Campbell won the game for Auburn against Alabama when the running game was doing nothing (40 rushes for 70 yards or so) Campbell was able to complete several deep passes against the 2nd ranked defense in the nation to blow open the game.

It should be obvious that the Coaching Staff didn't really think Campbell was that great during the early portions of the scouting process. But when Gibbs made the visit and gave up those picks it should just be just as obvious that the coaching staff were blown away by what they saw and realized that Campbell wasn't just a good QB, but in their estimation, he was a special QB that shouldn't be allowed to get out of their hands. If you fall in the "trust the coaches" camp, it should be enough for you that they thought so highly of this young man that they gave up next year's first to get him now.

well heck, the steelers just turn around and hand the ball off most of the time too. Big Ben only has to throw the ball like 10-20 times a game. He really isnt the reason they were so good last year, it was b/c of duce and the bus. Campbell also is a moblie QB and i think if he dont put the pressure on him at first and ask him to complete 25-30 passes a game, he we become a great QB.

I never really paid attention to him in college, but did he scramble a lot, and did he have some moves where he could make some defenders miss?

From what I understand, Campbell will buy time out of the pocket w/ his quickness, and use it to allow his recievers to get open downfield. He's not too much on making plays w/ his feet, but he has the ability to do so if it is needed.

His greatest quality is his poise. He is a filed general; he is a leader, just as a QB should be.

I can't wait to see this guy play.

Jason Campbell is THE reason Auburn beat Virginia Tech in the Sugar Bowl

He was able to buy himself time in the pocket, moved great, and while on the move throw 30 yard strikes downfield

The only TD pass he had was a perfect pass where only his WR could get it. Jimmy Williams had great coverage but could not make the play.

He was very good at avoiding the rush and keeping his cool. I was very impressed with what I saw

I am cautiously optimistic about Campbell. Too many "great" college QB's have been drafted in the first round only to become total busts. I think the more time he spends on the sidelines, the better.

Then again, the Redskins have managed to win 3 Super Bowls with fairly average quarterbacks. And they're not the only team to do so... last I checked, Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson were wearing Super Bowl rings...

Out of the three active black QB's he is compared to, I hope he is more in the mold of Daunte than the other two, though McNabb wouldn't be bad either (dude is a warrior).

I really hope he gets to sit all year, and I hope he is really picking up the game well by watching it.

He is our future, and with the evident improvement of Eli, and McNabb's dominance at the Qb position over the other NFC East teams, we need Campbell to live up to and exceed our hopes for him for us to dominate in the near future.

Out of the three active black QB's he is compared to, I hope he is more in the mold of Daunte than the other two, though McNabb wouldn't be bad either (dude is a warrior).

I really hope he gets to sit all year, and I hope he is really picking up the game well by watching it.

He is our future, and with the evident improvement of Eli, and McNabb's dominance at the Qb position over the other NFC East teams, we need Campbell to live up to and exceed our hopes for him for us to dominate in the near future.

Why does he have to be compared to just black quarterbacks? Just wondering...

Archived