Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Eli.............the real deal?

hail2skins

I'm sitting here watching the NY-SD game and I'm getting nervous watching the Giants. Even though their defense seems to be a little loose, I can't help be impressed with the presence the young Mr. Manning is showing. Not only do we have a Donovan McNabb who seems to be in his prime with the development of his pocket passing abilities (although maybe his injury will keep the Eagles enough at bay this year, and in all likelihood we won't have to deal with TO in Eagles green in '06), but we're going to have this guy on the Giants to deal with for god knows how long. Admittedly, our defense (coupled with Philly) will be at the top of the div for as long as Williams stays, but you can't help thinking that we're (and the Cowboys) seriously behind the power curve on the offensive side of the ball. Lets hope that the magic worked by Mark Brunell last Monday continues.....otherwise, I'm gonna have a hankering to see what Jason Campbell has for us!!

He looked good tonight, but I'm not putting him in Canton just yet.

The Chargers pass defense is just atrocious and they were generating no pass rush for most of the game (re: while the game was still close). Eli had all damn day to throw back there.

I'm not yet sold on Eli. The Giants scored a lot of points the first 2 weeks, but Eli put up rather pedestrian numbers in those games. But the kid does look more confident in the pocket, no doubt.

I want to see how Eli does against some real defenses before I call him the goods.

first things first-- San Diego has a very poor pass defense. did ANYBODY watch them play against Dallas in week one? SD can stop the run with 5-6 guys, but can't stop the pass with 7. that's embarrasing. and accurate.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/statistics?stat=teampass&pos=def&league=nfl&year=2005&season=2

ESPN says SD is 27th in pass defense... and their average QB rating against is 101.2. get the picture?

and yes, Eli did look sharp, but wait till he plays @DAL, vs DEN, and vs WAS in weeks 6,7 and 8... let's talk then after that 3 game stretch.

I do have to say Eli's performance on sunday pushed him up a ways in my late-starting fantasy league. :)

What got me was his footwork in the pocket. I mean, he never got so much as touched. He would always be looking down field, but his periferal vision was AMAZING. He didn't turn his head once to actually look AT the defender coming at him, yet he always managed to dodge them. When they would show replay's of him moving around in the pocket, it was so smooth that you would've thought he was gliding on ice. Never have I seen a QB that comfortable in the pocket. If the Giants D would just pick it up a little more, we could definetely see them in the playoffs.

He's no Kyle Orton, who we all know is the best rookie/young QB since Marino. Seriously though, I wasn't peeing my pants watching him the other night. The Midgets were down most of the game, so he was throwing a ton of passes against a very suspect pass D, hence the lofty numbers. He looks to me like he may be on the Carson Palmer plan, he'll probably throw 20/22 TDs and 16/18 picks, and maybe break out next year. I think he's going to look like a 10 year old when he starts playing against the divisional opponents.

Archived