http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2161260

1. Ravens

2. Bills

3. Steelers

4. Eagles

5. Patriots

6. Jets

7. Washington Redskins

Star power: LB LaVar Arrington; CB Shawn Springs; DT Cornelius Griffin; FS Sean Taylor

Key arrivals: CB Carlos Rogers

Gregg Williams arrived in D.C. last year with the reputation as a defensive guru and a $1.8 million salary that raised eyebrows. No longer. Williams' defensive transformation with the Redskins, a middling unit in recent years, helped enhance Williams' image and salvaged the team from complete disaster with its inept offense. The aggressive style the team employed -- blitzing from all angles, using odd fronts, slanting formations every which way -- should continue this year, but the losses of MLB Antonio Pierce and CB Fred Smoot, both of whom had career seasons, could weigh heavily on the unit. Still, the return of LaVar Arrington should result in strong LB play, and first-round pick Carlos Rogers will get the chance to replace Smoot. Can the Redskins play as much man coverage without Smoot? Probably, because FS Sean Taylor -- a player with a ton of potential -- can cover tight ends, backs and slot receivers adeptly. And with an unknown but overachieving D-line handling business, the results should be strong again.

8. Bears

9. Carolina

10. Jacksonville

Personally, I would sub Atlanta in, take out the Jets, and move the 'Skins up to about 5th. I'd move Carolina up, as well, but not as much anymore with Kris Jenkins out.

I completely agree...Pierce was a good player for us last season. But how do we know if Pierce was going to be able to produce the same way that he did last year. Lemar has field in great for us so far and he will be a leader. Plus, Gregg Williams plays one of those defenses that everybody is versatile and can be a solid contributor.

Falcons defense should be there, Jets and Bears should both be out. Carolina and us should both be top 5, along with Ravens, Steelers, and Patriots. It is a pretty fair assessment, but our run defense is still insanely good and it was not menntioned.

If Pierce was a main reason we had a good D last year, how come the Giants arent in this list....?

Better yet, why didn't he make the Pro Bowl. Urlacher was hurt most of the year, Keith Brooking was moved to the outside, so with the Pro Bowl MLB slot seemingly wide open, he still couldn't beat out Trotter fresh off of his amazing 6 starts.

He also managed to overlook Marcus, the only Skins defender who actually did goto the pro bowl.

Marshall seemed to replace Pierce just fine. I am really tired of the media acting like Pierce was the be all, end all of this defense. He was very good for us, but it was ONE SEASON, it wasn't like losing a 5 year Superstar that anchored the Defense.

My point EXACTLY. Pierce was 2nd string until injuries caused him to get a shot. Sure, he stepped up, but that's what he's SUPPOSED to do. He wasn't a 1st year player & 1 year does not make a career. Look at his body of work - not terribly impressive (courtesy of http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/237172):

{bad copy-paste job, sorry.. just click the link)

Sure he's a good player showing signs of greatness, but not irreplacable. I've said it before & I'll say it again: Smoot is better at telling jokes than tackling. Walt Harris is thorough as well as Lemar Marshall. Part of our defense's success is it's depth. If those guys get hurt, there's another potential Pierce-esque breakout star waiting in the wings (i.e., Rogers, Clark, Prieleau Campbell, Keasey, Clemons). I haven't even mentioned our Pro-Bowler - be for real.

Forget these rankings, I KNOW we're the best D in the league. Teams will not be looking forward to facing us this season. They know they have to work hard to score & gain yards - no gimmes. The media is so inept & clueless it's pathetic. These guys know jack! My :2cents:.

And another thing. It kills me when we shut down these so-called "high powered" offenses like the Rams & the media still gives us no credit. "[insert media darling offense here] just had a bad day. They were off. They beat themselves". Uh uh. They didn't produce because Taylor & Springs (& company) put the fear of God in the receivers with hard hits and swatted or picked a chunk of the QB's passes. Our D-line & LB corps shut the shut down the run & had their QB contemplating other career opportunities after seeing that pressure. I hope Gregg Williams & Joe Gibbs stick together in rebuilding this dynasty. They have these guys playing REAL football, especially on D. These are the Redksins that I remember rooting for - the pride is back, people. Forget those mediots.

The Jets? Did I miss something?

In 2004, the Jets defense was 3rd in points allowed, just 1 tenth of a point away from ranking 2nd. This year they added Ty Law into the mix, plus a healthy John Abraham.

I think it's recognized that a quality D like that doesn't just vanish into thin air because they played one poor road opener against one the NFL's best offenses.

Due to the lack of turnover in personnel, chances are better than not that 16 games + 2 playoff games last season is a more accurate reflection of things to come than 1 game last Sunday. Just a guess.

I can't get the page to load properly to verify this, but ... that reads to me like a preseason ranking. Yes?[/quote

i can't either , but i would assume it is since the Skins are currently ranked # 2 right now behind the Bills :D

so much for the media's knowledge :rolleyes:

I can't get the page to load properly to verify this, but ... that reads to me like a preseason ranking. Yes?

Yes, it's a preseason ranking...

I think the Jets would fall a bit in the eyes of these writers after being manhandled by KC. A lot of teams get manhandled by KC, though, and Pennington and co. sure didn't help, so I'm not saying they are a bad defense; just that they would have to slip below us after that performance.

Archived