Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What happened to the screen today?

jpillian

Don't know about the halfback screen but, they need to tear the WR screen play out of the playbook. Its not good for more than 2 or 3 yards on a good day.

This play is part of Gibbs base package. It make the CBs play closer to the line. Keep them honest.

You should also see Gibbs run at least one reverse a game. Specially against fast defenses. This makes the back side D play honest.

These plays sometimes produce yards which is fine but they are in place for these other reasons also.

The quick pass for 3-5 yards is as good as a run.

The reverse play worked well for us today. It was a fake reverse.

You should see this all season.

I didn't see one screen pass today. It seems like we saw it a gazillion times in the preseason. And it seems a great way to get the ball to Portis/Betts in space where they can make things happen.

Any thoughts on why not?

I was thinking the same thing. it looked real good in the preseason. Maybe Gibbs is saving it for Dallas or other teams. :dallasuck

Don't know about the halfback screen but, they need to tear the WR screen play out of the playbook. Its not good for more than 2 or 3 yards on a good day.

:applause: :applause: :applause:

Nothing else to add to that. Just an awful play.

I screamed that at least three times during the course of the game. Along with "Where's the shotgun?" and "Where are all the sweeps for Portis?" (I counted one)

I guess I could have just shouted "Where are all the alleged offensive adjustments we heard so much about in the offseason? " but that's a bit wordy.

I screamed that at least three times during the course of the game. Along with "Where's the shotgun?" and "Where are all the sweeps for Portis?" (I counted one)

I guess I could have just shouted "Where are all the alleged offensive adjustments we heard so much about in the offseason? " but that's a bit wordy.

Maybe you should have paid closer attention instead of screaming so much. The shotgun was used at least a half dozen times, by both QBs. I know there was one series where the sweep was run twice in a row, both for good gains, also a few stretch plays. There were also several mid to deep passes thrown. So just what else did you expect?

This play is part of Gibbs base package. It make the CBs play closer to the line. Keep them honest.

You should also see Gibbs run at least one reverse a game. Specially against fast defenses. This makes the back side D play honest.

These plays sometimes produce yards which is fine but they are in place for these other reasons also.

The quick pass for 3-5 yards is as good as a run.

The reverse play worked well for us today. It was a fake reverse.

You should see this all season.

Yes, although all ocs want all their plays to work, the best are chess players. Many plays are run by the best ocs to gather information or create opportunities for other plays. For instance, one of the main reasons for the end-around is to find out how the opposing defense plans to do what it wants to do. Other times you may run a play to keep the defense honest. Also, you may run the play to set up another play. Remember, on a couple of those WR screens, the db misses the tackle and we get a big play. You throw that quick hitch often enough, you WILL break it (and I don't CARE how good the opposing d is). At worse, you draw the DBs in.

Archived